Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Could somebody that is well informed give me a projection of this kid and what your expectations are?

I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to prospects, but I felt like he had the skill set to crack Canada’s wjc team last year but he didn’t.

From highlight packages on YouTube he looks like he would have an A or B+ rating when it comes to shot & skating. (Again, in my informed opinion he looks stellar at both).

With that being said, there’s not much excitement and buzz around him... he looks like an electric player. Is there something I’m missing about him that others see that I don’t?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Electric isn't the word I would use to describe him. I think steady is far more suitable. Should develop into a reliable two way defensemen but I think his offense will always leave a bit to be desired. See him more as a modern day shutdown D who can skate well and move the puck. Had a great year as a freshman, sounds like his play dipped towards the end of the season but regardless I think he exceeded expectations.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Electric isn't the word I would use to describe him. I think steady is far more suitable. Should develop into a reliable two way defensemen but I think his offense will always leave a bit to be desired. See him more as a modern day shutdown D who can skate well and move the puck. Had a great year as a freshman, sounds like his play dipped towards the end of the season but regardless I think he exceeded expectations.

Really? His skill set looks good to me offensively, has the speed, the shot, idk about hockey IQ but he looks dynamic. Guess I have to pay more attention to ND games.

Steady two way with offense to be desired, would you say he’s a player in the Brett Pesce mold?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Really? His skill set looks good to me offensively, has the speed, the shot, idk about hockey IQ but he looks dynamic. Guess I have to pay more attention to ND games.

Steady two way with offense to be desired, would you say he’s a player in the Brett Pesce mold?

I just don't see his offensive skillset translating as well to a higher level. I think he is capable of producing at an above average level at ES but I don't think he will see much PP time. For me he isn't that type of offensive player, which for defensemen goes along way into being productive. I think Pesce is a fair comparable, confident with the puck and while not overly physical uses his feet to be a good defender.

Reactions: Akrapovince

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This is the prospect im most excited about. I see the offense. Love the shot.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
his wrist shot looks stylistically similar to matthews
Ya i see they both can drag the puck towards themselves before shooting it to deceive the goalie and miss defencemen.

Also the puck comes off of their sticks faster somehow, deceptively fast. That being said, when Matthews shoots it no one can see it, it disappears for half a second and then is in the net.

I noticed they both keep their hands high on the stick and I guess this allows them to use more of the stick. Even far away wrist shots are like soft slap shots, but aimed precisely.

addition: also Matthews looks like he is using his whole body and it shows, the stick bends the whole way it can and the weight transfer moves through his body and the stick. Kind of like a baseball player who can stand still and just move his body to hit the ball and his head stays still like a running horse.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Ya i see they both can drag the puck towards themselves before shooting it to deceive the goalie and miss defencemen.

Also the puck comes off of their sticks faster somehow, deceptively fast. That being said, when Matthews shoots it no one can see it, it disappears for half a second and then is in the net.

I noticed they both keep their hands high on the stick and I guess this allows them to use more of the stick. Even far away wrist shots are like soft slap shots, but aimed precisely.

addition: also Matthews looks like he is using his whole body and it shows, the stick bends the whole way it can and the weight transfer moves through his body and the stick. Kind of like a baseball player who can stand still and just move his body to hit the ball and his head stays still like a running horse.

This shooting mechanic has been around for awhile, the first time I’ve seen it promoted was when Easton realeased their v9e that had a lie that was catered to this type of movement. It is essentially not using just the flex of the entire shaft, but utilitizing the torque that the blade creates (in conjunction with obviously other factors; changing angles, shot release deception).

“New blade works like a diving board”. Really good way to explain it.
Here’s a quick video if anyone’s interested, very reminiscent of AM34 and JBD’s shot.

Reactions: Brannstorm

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You seem really knowledgeable when it comes to prospects, what aspects of the game does JBD a shine in compared to a player like Tychonick? Who do you have ahead of who?
In my opinion JBD's more of a complete player. Better without the puck and better defensively. He's a stronger 2 way player at this point.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In my opinion JBD's more of a complete player. Better without the puck and better defensively. He's a stronger 2 way player at this point.
Watching him at D-camp today JBD is not that big a guy, he looks smaller than his 6'1" height he is listed at. With Thomson, JBD, Bransstrom & Wolanin on Ottawa's defence they will be a little small & soft back there but at the same time fast & skilled. It will be interesting to see how long it will take for them to transition these guys into the NHL.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Watching him at D-camp today JBD is not that big a guy, he looks smaller than his 6'1" height he is listed at. With Thomson, JBD, Bransstrom & Wolanin on Ottawa's defence they will be a little small & soft back there but at the same time fast & skilled. It will be interesting to see how long it will take for them to transition these guys into the NHL.
Agreed they are small. Which I don’t like. Which is why I was hoping they’d draft a bigger dman this draft. But there’s still time to add n replace.

Reactions: aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agreed they are small. Which I don’t like. Which is why I was hoping they’d draft a bigger dman this draft. But there’s still time to add n replace.
Yea was hoping they would trade into the low teens for Seider but Detroit made other plans. Dont see them being able to handle heavy teams with the d core they are building. Look at St Louis d then look at the sens. So tiny and small. Jaros is the only large d man in the system.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
It really is a shame that dorion only seems interested in drafting undersized offensive defencemen. Look at Montreal to see how that strategy works.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It really is a shame that dorion only seems interested in drafting undersized offensive defencemen. Look at Montreal to see how that strategy works.

What? The only guy that played regular minutes on the Habs D last season that is < 6'1 is Victor Mete. They also only had 2 D score at levels that would make them offensive defencemen, Weber and Petry, who are 6'4 and 6'3 respectively.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
What? The only guy that played regular minutes on the Habs D last season that is < 6'1 is Victor Mete. They also only had 2 D score at levels that would make them offensive defencemen, Weber and Petry, who are 6'4 and 6'3 respectively.

I meant a team of generally smaller players. Sorry, bad example and thank you for jumping all over it.

Calvin123

Sep 18, 2006
If they can breakout of the zone using their skating and defend by positioning rather than the Boro method, then what's the problem?

The problem is neither of these gets the puck away from other team. I'm a huge fan good skating defencemen. But eventually a line of big fowards can physically overrun a smaller defencemen. Sometimes you need to counter size with size in order to get the puck so your smaller, faster, defencemen can work their magic.

Reactions: Sweatred

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
The problem is neither of these gets the puck away from other team. I'm a huge fan good skating defencemen. But eventually a line of big fowards can physically overrun a smaller defencemen. Sometimes you need to counter size with size in order to get the puck so your smaller, faster, defencemen can work their magic.

I think this statement becomes less and less true with each passing season, at least when it's used to justify drafting defenceman based on size. JBD and Thomson are not overly small at 6'0. The average player in the NHL is just over 6'1.

Colorado could be running a D corp next year of Tyson Barrie (5'11), Sam Girard (5'10), Cale Makar (5'11), and Bowen Byram (6'0). We'll see how that goes for them but I wouldn't expect them to be pinned in their zone an awful lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad