Jackman - is there a scenario where St. Louis retires his #5

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
Passing Brett Hull for games played, to take #3 all time for St. Louis is a pretty big feat. I'm not even really discussing hockey abilities or stats, St. Louis has always been pretty big on lauding the players who show the team loyalty. If he plays the full season and isn't traded, he could easily be #2 all time by the end of the season.

this might work as a poll but I was just curious, do people see St. Louis retiring Jackman's #5 or more than likely honoring it, ala the other #5?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I wouldn't retire it, don't think he was good enough for that but that's just my opinion.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
I don't think they would retire the #5 for Jackman without also retiring it for Plager. There is very little chance of that happening. I think Jackman will get a banner similar to Bob Plager's(or possibly share a banner with Plager) and the Blues may have a ceremony honoring Jackman and Plager like they did with the #7.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
He'll always be a blue, but I don't think he deserves a banner and certainly not his number retired. He's been a rock for us and rewarding him with a spot in the organization after he retires would be the most appropriate plan here.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
He isn't getting the number retired.

I wouldn't mind him getting the honoured, just to troll all the Blues fans who have been unfairly critical of him over the years.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Only Plager and Jackman?

How could the Blues forget to honor the man, the myth: Garth Butcher?
They traded away half their offensive depth for the man after all...

Plus such other luminaries as:
Alexi Gusarov
Todd Gill
Jeff Norton
Rob Ramage

Why, that #5 needs to be retired post haste!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Only Plager and Jackman?

How could the Blues forget to honor the man, the myth: Garth Butcher?
They traded away half their offensive depth for the man after all...

Plus such other luminaries as:
Alexi Gusarov
Todd Gill
Jeff Norton
Rob Ramage

Why, that #5 needs to be retired post haste!

Ramage was one of The Blues best all-time defencemen. He was a better all-around player than Jackman, as I remember.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Ramage was one of The Blues best all-time defencemen. He was a better all-around player than Jackman, as I remember.

Oh I liked Ramage, I was considering adding as asterisk next to Norton and Ramage noting that those two players were actually pretty decent.

But I'm lazy. It's a real character flaw.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Didn't Plager want Jackman to wear 5?

Yes.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/jackman-goes-to-no-wears-no-with-pride/article_4a6b8df7-a571-56d2-80e0-a931326eb9c1.html

Jeremy Rutherford St. Louis Post Dispatch said:
Truth be told, Plager knew exactly what type of player Jackman was going to be in junior hockey with the Regina Pats of the Western Hockey League. Former Blues scout Pat Ginnell, now deceased, had his eye on the feisty Jackman and reported back to Plager.

“Patty says there’s a kid out there, I hope he’s available when it comes our choice … Bob, you and your brother would have loved this guy because he could have played with you guys … he’s old-time hockey,†Plager remembers. “So we drafted him No. 17 (overall), and I said if he’s that good, we’ll give him No. 5. I saw him and he was a team player, a tough player and he was old-time hockey. I said, ‘Give him my old No. 5, and he’ll be good in it.’

Boyesfan

Feb 4, 2008
I personally think that no number should be retired. I think that the number of a player who did great for your organization should be honored with having their name in the rafters with the number but not have the number actually retired. But that's just me.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
I personally think that no number should be retired. I think that the number of a player who did great for your organization should be honored with having their name in the rafters with the number but not have the number actually retired. But that's just me.

if a player had an impact on the team, I can justify it being retired. For example, Ray Bourque should not be retired as an Avalanche. Hull, most definitely for St. Louis and Dallas.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
If he plays a big role in winning the Blues a Stanley Cup, I could see it happening. If he had some crazy streak in which he gets like 4 goals + and handful of assists in the Western Conf Final and the Stanely Cup finals, then I could see him having his number retired by the Blues. Is there a guy you would rather see score an OT, Cup winning goal for the Blues?

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Passing Brett Hull for games played, to take #3 all time for St. Louis is a pretty big feat. I'm not even really discussing hockey abilities or stats, St. Louis has always been pretty big on lauding the players who show the team loyalty. If he plays the full season and isn't traded, he could easily be #2 all time by the end of the season.

this might work as a poll but I was just curious, do people see St. Louis retiring Jackman's #5 or more than likely honoring it, ala the other #5?
I dont think so. Just cant see it happening. Most seasons he hasnt been the Blues best defender. Stay at home d-men dont get their number retired no matter games played with one team. He'll get his fair share of accolades just not this, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad