GDT: Jackets @ Sens Mar. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Sens cant never win with you guys, you are never and I mean NEVER! satisfy how they play, there's always something wrong. Even when they win your not happy, I really don't know what would make you guys happy. the Sens are having a good season right now and reading your posts its like we're in last place, even Colorado fans are more excited about their team than you guys. Cheer up your team is in 10th place in the entire NHL stop being so ****ing negative all the time. :rant:

it's easier to criticize than understand

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Objective opinion about the game:

Columbus did outplay Ottawa last night but if we take away the extra 6 mins of PP time Columbus had, it was an even game. Both teams had long stretches of control on offesive zone. Both D groups had massive issues in their own end.

This game could have gone either way.

I will say that the 2nd period was probably the most exciting 20 mins of the year.

headup

Apr 7, 2008
Dat Stone setup on the Karl goal. Wow.

How was Boros fight? I just see it happened in the Boxscore.

Not much of a fight I thought. I don't think Dubinsky could have done anymore to not actually fight. He spent the the better part trying to hold Boros arms.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Brassard's really come/coming around.

Brassard continues to improve and is really showing off his vision. I love his poise with the puck, he will hold onto it but doesn't really cough it up.

Starting to "make passes Neil, Kelly or Lazar can't." :sarcasm:

As games goes on i am more and more impressed with Pyatt. Total steal signing. I wonder how many impressive players are actually not recognized, and plays in KHL and ohter European leagues. Sens should invest more on European scouting stuff.

He's been great all year, such a workhorse, easy to see why a coach would love him.

Both these players have been targets of the more pessimistic fans but I've never understood it. Both have been great additions.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
Columbus has a fast team.
We usually look lost against fast teams. Not last night.

A side from the Phaneuf not being in good position on the first goal, the team did great.

It's been a SMALL a sample size, but it looks like Dorion knows what he's doing. They identified the 4th line as being a weak link and correct it.

Adding Burrows and Stalberg have allowed the team to roll with 4 lines that all contains SPEED. The team may be older, but they are a quicker, smarter team with the additions of Burrows/Stalberg/Wingles/Pyatt.

Sometimes as fans we're looking for the big name pick up, but it looks like Dorion has a nose for the game. What the team has done under his very short tenure is nothing short of incredible.

Now, what do I win for this positive post? Anything?

Go Sens Go.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

A side from the Phaneuf not being in good position on the first goal, the team did great.

I could be wrong but I think that was Burrows fault mostly. Both other forwards were in deep prior to CBJ winning possession and breaking out. I am pretty sure Burrows was supposed to drop back to cover for the LD and there ended up being a bit of a defensive breakdown because he wasn't there.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
I could be wrong but I think that was Burrows fault mostly. Both other forwards were in deep prior to CBJ winning possession and breaking out. I am pretty sure Burrows was supposed to drop back to cover for the LD and there ended up being a bit of a defensive breakdown because he wasn't there.

You could be right. I just remember thinking Dion should have been playing a further back. I just don't recall the sequence before that.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
Actually it's been quite the opposite. They've been beating the big teams, but not showing up for the weaker teams, like Colorado, etc....

Nice win boys!

They have a good record against the strong teams. I agree. But in a lot of those games we were lucky to walk out with two points.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
They have a good record against the strong teams. I agree. But in a lot of those games we were lucky to walk out with two points.

Sure but there have been games were they should have won but did not take the last game vs the Jackets.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
You could be right. I just remember thinking Dion should have been playing a further back. I just don't recall the sequence before that.

Hoff and Turris go in deep, lose the puck and it is carried up the left side. To me, it looks like Phaneuf was about to pinch up the boards which the defense do a lot all over the ice against breakouts on the Senators and the last forward is supposed to drop back down and covers. Usually on the left side. It looked like Phaneuf started to pinch out of instinct and then realized that his forward forgot to cover and then things just broke down. It's hard to say because we can't actually see what Dion is doing due to the camera angle.

Good chance I might be wrong so if someone who actually knows about hockey coaching and systems can contradict me by all means do so.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Actually it's been quite the opposite. They've been beating the big teams, but not showing up for the weaker teams, like Colorado, etc....

Nice win boys!

But he said fast team, not strong team.

I understand that lot of the better team are also fast. But I think he really meant team with player who are skating fast.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Game notes from last night :

Yeah, probably worst game by Phaneuf this year. One the first goal, it was not necessarily because of a lack of speed, but just because he was completely out of position and didn't anticipate the play so he got caught up ahead of Saad and he knew it right away, that he didn't have the speed and step to catch him. And the rest of the game, outside of a few nice plays, he put Ceci and other teammates in bad situations. Off-game.

Then Ceci makes up for the save by letting someone go right through him and Fanoof lol.

From my POV, he actually might have saved another goal there as he lifted the Jackets' player stick which resulted in a much weaker shot that it could have been.

Last man back, he held the puck until a safe play developed. He knew exactly what to do.

Exactly what I saw. Actually, I prefer the player to hold the puck if there is no lane. I hate when it goes into shin pads and it goes the other way (Karlsson had that problem before but it seems that he fixed it)

And seriously, I keep talking with or listening to coaches, ex-players, etc and we seriously are not qualified to understand exactly what is going on the ice. The NHL systems and structures in the NHL are not really that simple. Positioning and puck support availability are the biggest factors. The more I listen, the more I understand, the more I see that the criticism in general is not really accurate (not targeting the post you quoted, just a general comment). For my part, 25 years of following the NHL the hardcore way and playing myself at all kinds of levels, and I know it's still not enough to truly understand the NHL. We don't understand how fast it goes and all the things players have to consider in their decision making process (which are very very short delay lol). Frankly, all we can do is having educated guesses!

Ceci has defense only on the brain ,you can see he is trying to make the safe play even on offense.He is only going to get better, this is very much a development year for him.Kid has the tools ,and dispite what many think here he does have the brain :nod:

I'm getting more and more impressed by him. I thought he was one of the best Sens player last night. Looks like I am not the only one. Coaching staff played him over 27 mins... But what do they know? Amirite? :D

I hope he never sees another game unless Boro is out. Our team is so much better without him.

Yeah his 3 minutes are really making a world of difference! :sarcasm:

Note : I have Neil as my 14th or 15th forward right now...

But I thought it wasn't part of the system, why is methot ever doing it?

Why does Boro do it far, far more this year than ever before? Why doesn't the coach bench him for being so foolish?

Because the coach is clueless! Haven't you read HF before Micklebot? :shakehead

:sarcasm:

dive by Ganger

Even on the other penalty he drew, he embellished it. Can't believe the refs fell for it twice :facepalm:

Not over. Bad goal to give up.

Yeah not a pretty one to give up by Andy but he was very solid otherwise. He was partially screened by Karlsson too

I thought Wingels was solid except for the penalty late in the game.

Yes he was. Wingels is more efficient now that he doesn't have to play with Kelly, Neil and Lazar. Well, even Kelly look a bit better now that the depth has been fixed.

I still hope that Kelly is the one who sits when Ryan is back.

These GDTs are terrible. It's the same 3-4 posters *****ing about the exact same players in every single GDT.

We got the message last month, the month before that, last year too.

Yeah, nothing changed. They identify their goats for the season and harp on them all year, even when it becomes ridiculous and totally biased, trying to influence everybody else to have the same (crappy uneducated) opinion by being louder and more repetitive than others...

I didn't think Columbus played great tonight to be honest. They gave us more chances than we deserved with some turnovers in the d zone and some bad rebounds by their goalie.

What if those turnovers were created by speed and hard forechecking? Sens were all over the pace and were trying to outwork their opponents (game plan) by not giving them space at all. Of course, Jackets are a hard working very good team too. Result : that game was pretty tight with the Sens having a bit more scoring chances (data says the same)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

It's been a SMALL a sample size, but it looks like Dorion knows what he's doing. They identified the 4th line as being a weak link and correct it.

Adding Burrows and Stalberg have allowed the team to roll with 4 lines that all contains SPEED. The team may be older, but they are a quicker, smarter team with the additions of Burrows/Stalberg/Wingles/Pyatt.

Sometimes as fans we're looking for the big name pick up, but it looks like Dorion has a nose for the game. What the team has done under his very short tenure is nothing short of incredible.

Now, what do I win for this positive post? Anything?

Go Sens Go.

Phaneuf wasn't great on the first goal but he had Ceci backing him up. Ceci pinched off Saad reasonably well to force a shot but Saad does have a great shot and it just beat Anderson. Phaneuf could have done better on the play, Ceci could have done better, Anderson could have been out further. I don't think it's really fair to assign blame on that play. Good players get their chances and sometimes they score on them.

And yeah - Dorion seems like he picked up the right guys to fit our coach and system and have an impact.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Good game, I feel the reffing was terribly one sided. Even some of the icing calls had me scratching my head. Crawford was livid on the bench with one of the refs after Karlsson was mauled.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's funny that so many people say Columbus outplayed Ottawa. Stats seem to be in favor of the Sens. Watching the game says it was really tight. Yes Columbus got offensive pressure and great scoring chances but how quickly people forget about Sens glorious chances...

Columbus had a good cycle going won many battles down low,
they had an aggressive forecheck and were much quicker to loose pucks and caused turnovers
They had more overall scoring chances
They hit two posts so the score could have easily been athe other way

Well, according to http://www.naturalstattrick.com :

5v5 :

27-17 SCF Ottawa and 11-8 in HDCF Ottawa

PPs were 4-1 for Columbus (was it deserved though?), so overall in all situations :

29-21 SCF Ottawa and 11-9 in HDCF Ottawa

The Sens cant never win with you guys, you are never and I mean NEVER! satisfy how they play, there's always something wrong. Even when they win your not happy, I really don't know what would make you guys happy. the Sens are having a good season right now and reading your posts its like we're in last place, even Colorado fans are more excited about their team than you guys. Cheer up your team is in 10th place in the entire NHL stop being so ****ing negative all the time. :rant:

:laugh: I guess that's why Montreal radio call the Sens "les ronflants". Lajoie even joked to Burrows the other day saying that everyday will be boring now (referring to the Sens rink)

Brassard continues to improve and is really showing off his vision. I love his poise with the puck, he will hold onto it but doesn't really cough it up.

Starting to "make passes Neil, Kelly or Lazar can't." :sarcasm:

:laugh: Oh yeah I remember that comment. Luckily, I don't remember who did it. And in my generous nature, I won't look it up :sarcasm:

He's been great all year, such a workhorse, easy to see why a coach would love him.

Both these players have been targets of the more pessimistic fans but I've never understood it. Both have been great additions.

Regarding Pyatt, he has absolute horrible underlying numbers. It shows how it can be wrong to judge a players just based on that...

Sens are easily one of the fast teams in the league, particularly now... Dzingel, Karlsson, Hoffman, Stalberg, Pageau... I mean their average skaters are guys like Turris and Methot...

They have execution problems at times though, but they are very fast

Hoff and Turris go in deep, lose the puck and it is carried up the left side. To me, it looks like Phaneuf was about to pinch up the boards which the defense do a lot all over the ice against breakouts on the Senators and the last forward is supposed to drop back down and covers. Usually on the left side. It looked like Phaneuf started to pinch out of instinct and then realized that his forward forgot to cover and then things just broke down. It's hard to say because we can't actually see what Dion is doing due to the camera angle.

Good chance I might be wrong so if someone who actually knows about hockey coaching and systems can contradict me by all means do so.

Funny because Burrows talked about that in a radio interview the other day after his first few practices with the team, talking on how complicated Boucher's system is and stuff. So you might be right about that and we might blaming Phaneuf too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad