GDT: Jackets @ Sens Mar. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Adding Burrows and Stalberg have allowed the team to roll with 4 lines that all contains SPEED.

Not just speed. Grit, playoff experience and smarts too.

He literally addressed 4 major issues all in 2 trades. We lacked physicality, tenacity, speed and experience in our top 6 big time. He addressed all that in the Burrows trade. We lacked big body presence, speed and grit in our bottom 6 big time, he addressed all that with Stalberg.

It was like the Phaneuf trade. We didnt just need a number 4 defender, we needed a number 3 or higher defender who can play 2 way, who can skate, who can hit hard, who can handle the toughest forwards and who has great leadership qualities. Murray nailed all that with Phaneuf.

I could be wrong but I think that was Burrows fault mostly. Both other forwards were in deep prior to CBJ winning possession and breaking out. I am pretty sure Burrows was supposed to drop back to cover for the LD and there ended up being a bit of a defensive breakdown because he wasn't there.

Anyone who's coached knows Phaneuf's fault but the major error started specifically from Turris and Hoffman.

Hoffman dumps the puck in and both of them go aggressively after it lower than they are supposed to. They overload the weakside of the puck and because of that, Hoffman or Turris are in too deep on the opposite side of where the puck is moving. That allows Werenski to jump up uncovered and start the play himself.

There is no way that a defender of the opposing team, who is retreating in his own zone in a dump in, should end up becoming ahead of 2 forechecking forwards seconds after a dump in. It was horribly executed and I knew an odd-man rush was going to happen seconds after Hoffman dumped it and tried to cheat the side wall.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
We shouldn't exactly be patting ourselves on the back here.

The whole reason we had to acquire Burrows and Stalberg was because:

1. Lazar dramatically regressed

2. Puempel was not effective and was lost to waivers

3. Kelly has only been moderately effective.

4. Wingels solved nothing

If Lazar, Kelly, Wingels, and Puempel had been more effective, we wouldn't have needed to make additional trades.

I'm not knocking them, but it was the team's own failures that made them nescessary

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

If Lazar, Kelly, Wingels, and Puempel had been more effective, we wouldn't have needed to make additional trades.

I'm not knocking them, but it was the team's own failures that made them nescessary

sorry dude but you're so far off base with that. Suppose all those 4 players were working out and we did nothing at the deadline....how would that be portrayed? Melnyk is too cheap.

I don't know how many teams bought versus sold at the deadline but it would be pretty quick to look at a deadline trade tracker and count. Did the dozen or so teams that added do so because of their failures? No and suggesting that is the case is ludicrous. So why when we add is it because of our failures?

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
That was a pretty good game. The Sens pretty much shut down their big guys and are not getting outworked by anyone, very encouraging.

I like that Jackets team, they don't take many shifts off. Honestly, this team can run with pretty much any team in the East except for maybe the Caps and Pens and even the Caps can be had. Seriously, why would they be underdogs against the Jackets or Rangers? Habs would be fairly even too.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The Sens are relentless along the boards. One of the strongest board teams I can recall here.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
sorry dude but you're so far off base with that. Suppose all those 4 players were working out and we did nothing at the deadline....how would that be portrayed? Melnyk is too cheap.

I don't know how many teams bought versus sold at the deadline but it would be pretty quick to look at a deadline trade tracker and count. Did the dozen or so teams that added do so because of their failures? No and suggesting that is the case is ludicrous. So why when we add is it because of our failures?

If they had all worked out, we would have targeted different positions or tried to go big game hunting, IMO.

Yes, many teams were forced to add pieces at the deadline because their original rosters suffered injuries, regressions, and bouts of poor play.

You think Edmonton adds DD if Draisaitl isn't on the wing because of Pulujarvi being unready?

New York added Brendan Smith because Klein and Girardi aren't doing well.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
It was like the Phaneuf trade. We didnt just need a number 4 defender, we needed a number 3 or higher defender who can play 2 way, who can skate, who can hit hard, who can handle the toughest forwards and who has great leadership qualities. Murray nailed all that with Phaneuf.

I still don't think that felt like a Murray trade and I believe that they've said Dorion had been stepping into GM jobs well before the announcement. IMO, Dorion orchestrated it and Murray signed off.

Additionally, if Clarke MacArthur had played on the 3rd line or pushed Zach Smith down to the 3rd line.

While at the same time, Nick Paul was making a stronger push from the AHL and looking like the next Zach Smith.

Things would have looked a lot better if things had broken right on coupe extra players.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
That was a pretty good game. The Sens pretty much shut down their big guys and are not getting outworked by anyone, very encouraging.

I like that Jackets team, they don't take many shifts off. Honestly, this team can run with pretty much any team in the East except for maybe the Caps and Pens and even the Caps can be had. Seriously, why would they be underdogs against the Jackets or Rangers? Habs would be fairly even too.

The jackets are basically the team that we strive to be. I love seeing a team dominate in that mould, because I don't see why that can't be us.

Fast, Strong, hard-working forwards that score by committee, bolstered by a strong, balanced blueline, and some great goaltending.

Add in White and Chabot, get Ryan and Brassard get back to the 50+ pts paces they're capable of, and a another year of Boucher coaching, and I bet were right there with them.

I believe in the direction that were going in.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

i think wingels has been fine for the role that he was brought in for, since he was basically brought in as a 4th liner with speed

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA

I like the way you think :handclap: thats what we need more fans that are positive and realize that this team can beat anybody if they play the way they can. I like it !!!

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
How come people were saying we didn't play that well? I thought they really competed hard, especially forechecking and board play. That Columbus team is clearly no joke, not like Colorado that was standing around in their defensive zone looking lost.

Quite encouraged by this new 4 line team.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004

These are similar teams, at least they are when the Sens play well, which they did last night. Neither is loaded with superstars, they both strive to play hard, fast and smart. Ottawa did it better last night and were rewarded with more chances and eventually the win. One difference, and it's in Ottawa's favour: I don't think the Jackets have a forward as good as Stone, and no one has a Dman as good as Karlsson. I would not dread a playoff date with Columbus.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Pick up Quincey instead.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
yeah bobby over kelly would be huge

Yes, but who will Center the 4th line? It could be Wingels that sits over Kelly. Kelly might not get pushed out until White arrives after his college season ends.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yes, but who will Center the 4th line? It could be Wingels that sits over Kelly. Kelly might not get pushed out until White arrives after his college season ends.

Wingels or Kelly or White (if he comes this spring). I am hoping White comes and I am hoping he can step in and get some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad