Post-Game Talk: Jackets @ Rangers - READ mod warning in post #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Dubinsky was a ton of fun to watch last night.

Remember that one game where AV in his post-game presser said that the opposition (was it the Islanders?) knew Glass was in the lineup as if it was some sparkling review of Glass?

Well, the Rangers certainly knew Dubinsky was in the lineup last night -- on top of being an effective player.

Will miss that guy until he retires.

EDIT - Stempniak definitely the odd-man out when Fast returns. I think he was riding pine late in the third period with Hagelin rotating onto that wing with Moore and Glass.

****in AV, man. This guy is so brilliant, yet he makes some really mind-boggling moves.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Well what I always say about "possession" stats is that they imply possession, they don't inherently mean possession. There's been several times this year where I've seen the Rangers cycle for two minutes and not shoot.

It's annoying as all hell, but I do think we have the puck more than corsi and fenwick would indicate.

Honestly the biggest mistake of advanced stats is saying that corsi and fenwick are "possession" numbers instead of just calling them what they are. Shots for are good because every shot attempt has some chance of turning into a goal, shots against are bad because of the same reason. When you then start trying to talk about how that means possession it's really just kind of missing the point of the stats.

Now if the Rangers do actually possess the puck a lot but don't shoot as much, then that's still an issue because they need to get chances on goal. On the other hand if they score a lot of goals because they wait until high percentage chances are available, then that's another thing. But hard to quantify.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I am ok with a bad third period when they're playing the 3rd game in 4 nights. It just happens, they ran out of gas most likely.

Then I researched and Columbus had the same thing and they started like the Rangers finished, hmm.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Glass was a -1 again... Just keeps upping that game I see :sarcasm:

Unfortunately Stempniak will be the odd man out, and I feel like he gets traded for a 3rd rounder, which at this point I'm fine with. His spot WAS the 3rd line, but not only did AV rip that out from under him, but Miller owned it and now it's his (Miller belongs in the top 9 anyway).

There NEEDS to be another 12th and 13th forward, and Glass needs to be made the 14th forward

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I'd still be targeting Vermette

Moving miller down to play with moore and fast gives us the best depth heading into playoffs. Don't trust hayes to step up if needed yet he's just a kid.

Vermette should still be the guy

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
I'd still be targeting Vermette

Moving miller down to play with moore and fast gives us the best depth heading into playoffs. Don't trust hayes to step up if needed yet he's just a kid.

Vermette should still be the guy

The Rangers don't have a 1st round pick. If they are trading for Vermette, Miller is probably going to the Coyotes.

The Rangers should be targeting a depth forward NOT a luxury forward like Vermette. Vermette would help this team, and the Rangers are a contender in a position to acquire him. With that said unless the price is McIlrath and a 2nd round pick I would not get involved in a bidding war.

It is very possible the Rangers do nothing at the deadline.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
The Rangers don't have a 1st round pick. If they are trading for Vermette, Miller is probably going to the Coyotes.

The Rangers should be targeting a depth forward NOT a luxury forward like Vermette. Vermette would help this team, and the Rangers are a contender in a position to acquire him. With that said unless the price is McIlrath and a 2nd round pick I would not get involved in a bidding war.

Agreed. I just really really want someone like Bergenheim or Letestu or anyone to get Glass and Stemp out of the lineup.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Hey if we're discussing commercials, I want to lobby to get rid of that Acura/Blondie commercial and those creepy smoking commercials.

Watching Glass play and then watching Carcillo, I don't see the reason of getting rid of the latter for the former. Not that Carcillo was great but there's literally nothing Glass can do better on an ice rink. No idea why I put this here. I guess there was a discussion of the 4th line, going into the playoffs the 4th line can not be this bad.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

As in absolutely zero? I disagree. There will be a depth pick up. There always is. A Diaz for a 5th type trade is almost a guarantee.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Does anyone agree that the PP1 has seemed to go stale and not look very good since MSL and Boyle were taken off of it?

I think with Marty back to himself, I'd put him back on. The PP has looked it's best this season when it was Nash step Brass Boyle MSL.

I'd rather let Zucc run the 2nd unit with Kreider Miller McDonagh Girardi. Have the whole pp2 run thru Zucc.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Does anyone agree that the PP1 has seemed to go stale and not look very good since MSL and Boyle were taken off of it?

I think with Marty back to himself, I'd put him back on. The PP has looked it's best this season when it was Nash step Brass Boyle MSL.

I'd rather let Zucc run the 2nd unit with Kreider Miller McDonagh Girardi. Have the whole pp2 run thru Zucc.

agreed

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Eastern Conference Champions. A team that has played lights out for nearly 3 months, and you say many flaws.....

Plenty of sado masochists Torts nostalgics around here, if someone's head and ego isn't constantly being beaten into the ice there must be something wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think that what it shows is how Henke covers up many flaws

I think what it shows is that no team plays great defensive hockey consistently from game 1 to game 82.

Do you really think they're playing right now how they were playing at the beginning of January?

C'mon now.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Cam is still a horror show. Shouldn't have even gone to OT, and he got lucky that they only got one shot on goal in the shootout that of course smoked him

Wouldn't say this.
Uneven, definitely.
He's played better/more consistently, certainly.
But Cam is still legit real deal.
It's not like he and Hank are closer to Giacomin + Villemure, like a 60-40 split of workload or so.

The one game off was prudent.
You only play a smattering of games throughout the season, rust can build.
No prob.

He's fine. We good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad