Post-Game Talk: Jackets @ Rangers - READ mod warning in post #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Seth Rothman ‏@RothmanHockey 3m3 minutes ago
The #Rangers are 29-9-2 over their last 40 games. To put that in perspective, it's a 123-point pace over a full 82-game season.

TurgePurge*

I hate when people complain about shootout choices but using Marty and JT made no sense. Zucc would have faked that goalie to a forehand empty net pretty easily.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Yeah at first I was thinking "MSL? Really?". My complaints died rather quickly though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Seth Rothman ‏@RothmanHockey 3m3 minutes ago
The #Rangers are 29-9-2 over their last 40 games. To put that in perspective, it's a 123-point pace over a full 82-game season.

VIisM5e.gif

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Stempniak was HORRID. Fast can't get here soon enough. When Tanner Glass is playing better than you, you know you have a problem.

Boyle hasn't had a good game in 2 weeks. He has to get back to how he was playing before the flu.

Our top 4 defense had a nice game. A few blunders, but nothing glaring that seemed habitual in tonights game.

FWIW, I thought Miller had a better game than Hayes, from start to finish, tonight. Hayes' beautiful snipe goal aside, Miller was more dominant tonight - and i'm sure that that is why AV decided to reward him w/ a shoot out opportunity.

Miller is fighting it right now, in terms of scoring goals. Players go through streaks and it'll be incredibly exciting to watch as we hit the playoffs and we start getting unsung heros stepping up.

MSL great game, too.
Agree with all this. I actually gave Miller one of my votes. He really makes noise on most shifts.
As for the game overall, i thought the Columbus goalie played great and, in general, Columbus played a great second half of the game. Im surprised to read all the negativity. The Rangers, particularly at this stage of the season, need a reliable 4th line. Fast will fix half the problem. After the trade deadline, the Rangers will have a new forward from either another team or Hartford to replace Stemp who'll make for a great insurance policy in Hartford.
Very happy the Rangers got two points and no injuries versus a very tough BJs team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You know that last 10 column in the standings? We've had the best record in there for like, 2 months :laugh:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I thought John Moore had a fantastic game. He didnt shy away and was physical throughout. Also used his speed well. If only he played like that every night

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I hate when people complain about shootout choices but using Marty and JT made no sense. Zucc would have faked that goalie to a forehand empty net pretty easily.

Other teams in the league have caught onto zuke's giant arsenal of 2 shootout moves. It's not to say that he wouldn't score on it however, him and stepan (who apperently only has ONE move) have been doing the same **** over and over the last couple of times and it was time for a change. Good call by AV. He put the best player in the game (MSL) and a guy who's fighting for the rocket into the shootout and it worked.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I thought John Moore had a fantastic game. He didnt shy away and was physical throughout. Also used his speed well. If only he played like that every night

He had some stupid plays early on and quite honestly he plays dumb more often than he does smart. He actually used to be a pretty good bottom pairing guy but now a guy like hunwick seems much better.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Other teams in the league have caught onto zuke's giant arsenal of 2 shootout moves. It's not to say that he wouldn't score on it however, him and stepan (who apperently only has ONE move) have been doing the same **** over and over the last couple of times and it was time for a change. Good call by AV. He put the best player in the game (MSL) and a guy who's fighting for the rocket into the shootout and it worked.

Zucc has had at least 6 variations of shootout moves that Ive counted since last season

5-hole
x-box controller
x-box controller w/fake
fake
quick release
coming in at speed

The whining stems from when he uses the same move more than 2 games in a row,.

On a sidenote, dunno if anyone mentioned it yet but this was his 200th NHL game, huzzah

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
John Moore is just so frustratingly inconsistent. It's feast or famine with the guy. All I want out of the 6th D slot is someone who provides solid, consistent D. Moore, on his best nights, plays like a great #3. On his worst nights, he plays like AHL fodder. Your #6 needs to be a known quantity. John Moore is the exact opposite.

I'm trying to be fair to the guy, but with 350 pro games under his belt, 250 in the NHL, you have to wonder if he'll ever find the consistency he needs to be a regular.

Honestly, I think his best chance at being a regular would be to go to a bottom feeder that can give him a chance to find some consistency without the threat of being a healthy scratch every other game.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Well what I always say about "possession" stats is that they imply possession, they don't inherently mean possession. There's been several times this year where I've seen the Rangers cycle for two minutes and not shoot.

It's annoying as all hell, but I do think we have the puck more than corsi and fenwick would indicate.

That's the one thing I never understood about possession stats. Why wouldn't they factor the actual time of possession with the puck on each shift?

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Just noticed that Nash is 6 pts away from 1st in the entire league in points overall and he has 2+ games in hand on everyone at the top. Currently Kane is #1 with 2 more games played. That's nuts.

Zucc has had at least 6 variations of shootout moves that Ive counted since last season

5-hole
x-box controller
x-box controller w/fake
fake
quick release
coming in at speed

The whining stems from when he uses the same move more than 2 games in a row,.

On a sidenote, dunno if anyone mentioned it yet but this was his 200th NHL game, huzzah

3 or 4 of those are basically the same thing. using a fake isn't it's own move, either. Obviously a goalie will expect general fakes or a shot it's not rocket science. and Zuke has certainly used the same move more than twice this year. We're like 3-7 in the SO for a reason. It's not his fault specifically or anything but him and stepan weren't cutting it RECENTLY and a change needed to be made. It was made and worked out for the better.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That was a tough game. Anisimov was awesome.

They're still fighting the puck defensively. This isn't a surprise. Teams go through ups and downs. Right now, the combination of that and Lundqvist's injury has led to some poor defensive numbers.

But the team is still winning games. Really, that's all that matters. Plenty of time in which Lundqvist can come back and the Rangers can turn the defensive play around. I expected a slow down in this stretch of the season. If there's still an issue in 3 weeks, I'll start to worry.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hunwick was surprisingly good early in the year, but he's really trailed off lately. This is a 7th D, so that's pretty much normal.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Two points again? Ayyyy lmao.

I'd love to read these boards if the Rangers were 1-6-2 since Hank went down rather than the reverse. :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Zucc is less than 50%. He's still probably the best bet, but since he started off like 5-of-5 or whatever, he's been good but not amazing. It's not given that he'd score. Didn't he just miss the other night?

Miller was more questionable, but the kill certainly has talent. I like that AV showed confidence in him and gave him an opportunity. You need to know what those guys can do eventually. He actually made a great move and had McElhinney beat, he just couldn't square the puck enough on his backhand to slot in inside the post (and he had 6-8 inches to do so). If he can make moves like that each time out there, he'll be successful in his own right. IIRC, he was very good in the AHL SO's as well.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That was a tough game. Anisimov was awesome.

They're still fighting the puck defensively. This isn't a surprise. Teams go through ups and downs. Right now, the combination of that and Lundqvist's injury has led to some poor defensive numbers.

But the team is still winning games. Really, that's all that matters. Plenty of time in which Lundqvist can come back and the Rangers can turn the defensive play around. I expected a slow down in this stretch of the season. If there's still an issue in 3 weeks, I'll start to worry.

Yeah they're not playing their best hockey right now but at least have kept collecting points. Third period last night wasn't even THAT bad...allowing 8 shots isn't too shabby on defense, but they have to get more pressure on offense. I feel like they missed like 5 shots at least in the third which if they got on net would make the shot numbers look better, but also a lot of one and done chances.

That said, they win that game in regulation if Talbot doesn't flub an easy save. That one was really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad