Proposal: Jackets-Preds and I can't believe I'm actually posting this

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Viqsi, I'm coming around more and more to entertaining a trade of Johansen rather than Turris. Reasons being: agreed he's overpaid for what he is, he has more potential value, it provides a significant message/roster shakeup, and it may solve the center/Turris issue by establishing Duchene as the #1 and a clear spot for Turris as the #2. That said, I'd want to see something more coming back than this. Any edits you or another CBJ can make so Preds aren't feeling quite that stung on value (assuming other CBJ fans would want Johansen back)?
Honestly not sure how to tweak it. We're not exactly rich in draft picks, for example. I'd be tempted to throw in Harrington to shore up the bottom pairing as well, but he's LHD and I don't think Hamhuis is really ultimately the problem there.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Savard is way better than Johansen. Also Johansen has that terrible f***ing contract. Blue Jackets don’t go near this trade.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Johansen+Turris for Savard+Wennberg+2nd
What if we took the originals out of that... no Johansen, no Savard... something around Turris for Wennberg would be fine for me. It doesn't exactly solve our modest need for a D, but it does get a cheaper younger depth player we could use in a bottom-line role with a clearer conscience. I'm not sure we'd ultimately keep Wennberg for long either, but at least if he was bouncing around the nether portions of our lineup, it might be less controversial for us.

What ever happened to Carlsson? Is he a bust now? Is it approaching last-ditch change of scenery minor league deal time for him yet?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
What if we took the originals out of that... no Johansen, no Savard... something around Turris for Wennberg would be fine for me. It doesn't exactly solve our modest need for a D, but it does get a cheaper younger depth player we could use in a bottom-line role with a clearer conscience. I'm not sure we'd ultimately keep Wennberg for long either, but at least if he was bouncing around the nether portions of our lineup, it might be less controversial for us.

What ever happened to Carlsson? Is he a bust now? Is it approaching last-ditch change of scenery minor league deal time for him yet?

By accounts I have seen, he plays reaaaaaallllly well in Cleveland...reeeeeeeaaaalllly meh in Columbus

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Over the summer, I wouldn't have gone for that; we were looking at two bounceback players and Wennberg's contract was easier to get out of. The way Wennberg is playing right now, tho, I'd go for it.

He's kind of gone quad-A. I don't think we're quite all the way to the bottom yet with him, but he's definitely available at a discount compared to where he was. Thankfully, Gavrikov has stepped up to become everything we'd hoped for out of Carlsson and then some.

Reactions: NNCbama

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Savard plays his position better than Johansen. Joey is one of the most overrated players on these boards.

I know folks will say I need to watch him play. I have. I have also watched Savard.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Over the summer, I wouldn't have gone for that; we were looking at two bounceback players and Wennberg's contract was easier to get out of. The way Wennberg is playing right now, tho, I'd go for it.

He's kind of gone quad-A. I don't think we're quite all the way to the bottom yet with him, but he's definitely available at a discount compared to where he was. Thankfully, Gavrikov has stepped up to become everything we'd hoped for out of Carlsson and then some.
Ok, well you know our prospects in Milwaukee and such, I guess Turris/Wennberg plus if there was something minor Carlsson/Admirals sidebar that made any sense, that'd be fine for me too. Worst case if Wennberg can't do anything for us, as you say he's a little easier to walk away from. I'm thinking Columbus has some decent wingers such that Turris would be a reasonably productive player for you. :dunno:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ok, well you know our prospects in Milwaukee and such, I guess Turris/Wennberg plus if there was something minor Carlsson/Admirals sidebar that made any sense, that'd be fine for me too. Worst case if Wennberg can't do anything for us, as you say he's a little easier to walk away from. I'm thinking Columbus has some decent wingers such that Turris would be a reasonably productive player for you. :dunno:
Can I get away with asking about Pitlick, given how Trenin has abruptly turned into a badass, or is that reaching too far? ;)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Can I get away with asking about Pitlick, given how Trenin has abruptly turned into a badass, or is that reaching too far? ;)
Well more ideally I'm thinking it is somebody - like Carlsson - who is basically at the end of their ELC, not going to be waiver exempt next year, and doesn't seem to have any imminent upward mobility onto the big club. (I'm assuming all that holds for Carlsson anyway - not 100% sure).

It could have been Trenin if he hadn't had this breakout season. But Pitlick still has an exemption next year and I'm assuming that's going to be his key development season in the minors. He'd be more in that category after another year if he hasn't shown signs of moving up. Anthony Richard might be one such. Maybe we don't have enough options. No idea what Cleveland might be lacking - or if any of this makes any sense. Just thinking there is NO WAY Carlsson is breaking into your lineup now. But for us... well, we have some openings coming up next year anyway. Not sure if he's good enough to make it or has bottomed out, though. Anyway, the Turris/Wennberg thing is the main idea, didn't mean to throw in much of a distraction there. :)

Nice how this has gone from the blockbuster Johansen-Savard level to possibly Richard-Carlsson, though hey! ;)

Reactions: Viqsi

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Savard is way better than Johansen. Also Johansen has that terrible ****ing contract. Blue Jackets don’t go near this trade.
I concur here The Preds are going to regret this contract for a long time it essentially makes Johansen untradeable. Torts is not a fan of Johansen as well. RJ will continue along the path and move down the Preds roster and will be centering the 4th line the last couple years of this contract with Duchene centering the 3rd line when they are both 33 year olds and there game has dropped off. That's 16 mil in cap and they continue to eat Turris's 6 mil. Long term Poile has pumped the pooch with these three.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
As an outside fan, I just love seeing this trade because Joey is so overrated and Savard is so underrated.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My biggest issue with trading Joey is he has been pretty dang good in the playoffs. The other is that we already aren't the most physical team out there and going down to Turris and Duchene makes us even weaker.

I wouldn't mind a player like Savard but not at the expense of Joey, at least not yet.

Reactions: Viqsi and NNCbama

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
This could be one of those weird trades in that, although Columbus gets the better player, Nashville gets better as a team. Savard would solidify their defense, and they are deep at center, so they could afford to give up Johansen. It would give the Predators more balance, and I think a better playoff team. I am kind of glad most Preds fans don't like the deal, however. I am not in a hurry for the Preds to get better. :D

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
My biggest issue with trading Joey is he has been pretty dang good in the playoffs. The other is that we already aren't the most physical team out there and going down to Turris and Duchene makes us even weaker.

I wouldn't mind a player like Savard but not at the expense of Joey, at least not yet.
Yeah, even though we could use a more physical presence on the blueline too, I'd rather chase that in other ways. Look at Edmundson or Gudas or somebody like that on the UFA market in the summer. We are going to have a ton of cap space. We should try to address this issue some other way. Trading Johansen to address it is not the best-value approach.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Another way to think of it is we traded Jones to get Savard. Looking at it that way isn’t as palatable to me as Jones for Joey.
Yeah; I covered that under the "mumble mumble sunk cost" bit. Four years of Joey's prime isn't exactly nothing. :)

I can understand wanting to pursue other angles (I'd want to as well!), but I don't think that's a good argument.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Does Granlund play C for Nashville and did he play C for Minn? If so what about him and both 2nds for Savard & Wennberg and our 3rd next year? If he primarily plays W I don't think we want him.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Does Granlund play C for Nashville and did he play C for Minn? If so what about him and both 2nds for Savard & Wennberg and our 3rd next year? If he primarily plays W I don't think we want him.

Granlund plays W, if his value is at or around Wennberg currently I don't know if I'd be comfortable moving 2 2nds in the top 50 for Savard right now.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As Soundgarden noted, Granlund doesn't play center for us. I don't think he has for a long time in Minny either. I'd do this trade. If the Cap situation was workable - not sure when we hit the pro-rating threshold for being able to take those 2 contracts on. But just on the asset value, it's a go!

Granlund doesn't really do anything for us. We've had over 50 games of him now, and the bottom line is he has essentially just been some vanilla-looking filler for us. He must be a better player than this. We all expected he would be and everybody around the league tells us he is. But it's not showing. Yet? - well, there's not a lot of time left in his tenure here for it to appear. I think Savard could be a transformative addition to our D. We've lacked that physical presence for a long time and he'd give us exactly the element our team lacks. I don't think the two 2nds is too much to pay for that. The NJ pick will be very high, ours could be mid-highish too, but still, Savard is really a player who fits our needs.

I'd give Wennberg a shot to see what he does. But probably on the wing, and probably in a very unstable role, so he probably won't be in a position to succeed here. Meaning we'd probably just buy him out in the off-season. I'd rather you just kept him, tbh.

Nobody seems to listen on this, but Kyle Turris is a better player for us today than Granlund is. And he's a true center. Just sayin'.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nobody seems to listen on this, but Kyle Turris is a better player for us today than Granlund is. And he's a true center. Just sayin'.
Well, in the Jackets' case, it's because I've had trouble coming up with a deal that I think would work for both sides. Nutivaara is a bit more readily expendable now - he's a lefty that plays RHD - but he's not the physical play type. Neither is Kukan. Harrington tries to be physical, but he's a best a borderline upgrade on the bottom pairing in Nashville. And this may catch some people off guard, but it turns out we're a bit sparse on picks (imagine that). ;)

I sometimes think Harrington + Wennberg for Turris might be worth discussing, but I tend to talk myself out of it shortly thereafter. (Mostly because I suspect Wennberg would be basically Jarnkrok on double the salary over there. Except, y'know, classic original-style Jarnkrok, not current holy-crap-how-did-he-become-a-world-beater Jarnkrok.)

Reactions: NNCbama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad