Speculation: Jackets Miss Playoffs By a Point...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I could live with it. As a matter of fact to me it would be the perfect scenario. A Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel could set this franchise up for years to come.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
All it would take for this team to be a lottery team is Johansen or Bobrovsky to gey hurt for more than a month or month and a half.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
All it would take for this team to be a lottery team is Johansen or Bobrovsky to gey hurt for more than a month or month and a half.

I think they might weather that kind of loss of Johansen better than of Bob. I think the drop off from Ryan to, for instance, Dubinsky or Anisimov is less than that between Bobrovsky and McIlhenney. Not that I want to test either scenario!

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I could live with it. As a matter of fact to me it would be the perfect scenario. A Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel could set this franchise up for years to come.

Eichel is about the only thing that would make missing the PO palatable

IHeartZherdev*

Have you ever heard of Ryan Johansen (21), Ryan Murray (20), and Boone Jenner (21) ?

We already have 3 pieces that are set up as the core for the future. Missing the playoffs would be terrible and be a huge step back. The days of pining our hopes on teenage boys potential need to be over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Without luck that implies greater regression than we'd want to see.

If we lose out on the playoffs, hopefully it's because of a few non-serious injuries.

I don't want to see any regression. But we're given the scenario "if the Jackets miss the playoffs by one point..." In which case winning the lottery is good.

I'm not exactly sure that's the game Espen wanted to play, but... My guess is he was looking for something more along the lines of "what's better - miss the playoffs by one point but win the draft lottery or make the playoffs but lose again in the first round" or something like that.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Not acceptable

with this young squad they won't accept it either. I like where this team is & think we have the players that will not accept this scenario

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't want to see any regression. But we're given the scenario "if the Jackets miss the playoffs by one point..." In which case winning the lottery is good.

I'm not exactly sure that's the game Espen wanted to play, but... My guess is he was looking for something more along the lines of "what's better - miss the playoffs by one point but win the draft lottery or make the playoffs but lose again in the first round" or something like that.

Heck I'm not sure what game I wanted to play :laugh:

But if I had to chose one of your scenarios I'd go with lose and win the lottery over lose in the first round again.

For the long term I believe that missing by a point or two as a result of other teams playing better or as a result of a real stretch of bad luck injury wise and in either case winning the lottery would make us a real contender. My fear is we wind up one of those tweener teams- good enough to make the playoffs but not quite good enough to win it all. A guy like one of the top two could be the missing piece. While we all (or at least most) fall madly in love with even our lowest draft picks I'd really like to have a generational type guy around for the next 15 years or so.

Do I root for us to miss the playoffs? No. But if we do, miracles can happen and if one does I'm 100% positive it will not be a permanent blow to the team's psyche. Hell, as long as we play well this coming season the long term impact of missing will be nil, imo.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'd rather make the playoffs. Not that Eichel/McDavid wouldn't be a much bigger deal to the franchise than one playoff run, but that's not why I root for the Jackets.

If I only cared about winning I would have stopped being a Jackets fan a long time ago. I want to win and win with honor, and fight and scrap for every point. We've never been a good luck franchise and I don't care for it.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Not sure. We miss one thing as an organization a truly elite talent to complement Johansen (assuming we can keep him). Look at the last cup winners and you can see the formula. One above average/elite goalie (Bob) one #1 dman (hopefully Murray) and at least two elite forwards.

However making the blue jackets a success in Ohio means creating a winning tradition which means playoffs year after year.

Right now I would lean toward missing the playoffs by a point and getting McDavid as it likely sets us up as a cup contender for a decade plus. Particularly because none of the other Ohio pro sports franchises are even close to championship contention in the next year or so.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Yeah, not sure about this whole single point thing. Without changes in the lottery rules, there's basically no chance to win the lottery if you miss the playoffs by a single point. I'm just saying I don't want us to be a position to have a reasonable chance to win the draft lottery even if we miss the playoffs.

There is certainly some upheaval in the East this season. That puts in a level of uncertainty.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
If the guys come into the season with the right attitude I'm not worried about us making it (first time I've ever gotten to write that) although I don't feel we'll be nearly as dominant as some are predicting. I don't think we'll take over the Metro like some think.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
2nd place in the Metro is a realistic goal. Anything worse than 3rd would be disappointing. We shouldn't be fighting for a wild card this season.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
2nd place in the Metro is a realistic goal. Anything worse than 3rd would be disappointing. We shouldn't be fighting for a wild card this season.

You might see a bit of a shift. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Caps make a big push and NJ is a bit dangerous. I think the Islanders are going to compete but fall just a bit short (but pick up more points than last season).

It's a nice, achievable, goal. But I could easily see us around that 90-95 point mark again. Even at 100 points we could end up in a wild card spot.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
You might see a bit of a shift. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Caps make a big push and NJ is a bit dangerous. I think the Islanders are going to compete but fall just a bit short (but pick up more points than last season).

It's a nice, achievable, goal. But I could easily see us around that 90-95 point mark again. Even at 100 points we could end up in a wild card spot.
I really, really, REALLY doubt we'd be in a wild card spot with 100 points. The division isn't THAT good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad