Speculation: Jackets Miss Playoffs By a Point...

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Playoffs, no question. These guys have worked too hard and achieved too much to play games to get a potential star. And can we stop with this, please? It's like every year we're asking what would be better, a near miss or early exit or the high pick. Let's support good hockey and cheer on our guys busting their ***** out there and root for them to achieve the things they want to achieve- which is not a hight draft pick.

And the "miss by one point" thing is a copout. Just say lose in the first round or win the draft lottery. Because my guess is the OP would rather win the lottery than make playoffs. Rah rah

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
And the "miss by one point" thing is a copout. Just say lose in the first round or win the draft lottery. Because my guess is the OP would rather win the lottery than make playoffs. Rah rah

It's kind of a crappy topic - no offense intended towards Espen. I was kind of surprised about the "perfect situation" and this whole set us up for years thing.

We should be beyond hoping for lottery picks at this point.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Every team in the league would have loved Crosby, and several teams have won the Cup without him.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Every team in the league would have loved Crosby, and several teams have won the Cup without him.

This.

Both have their pros, both have their cons ... but ultimately, the key is that success breeds success. Set a standard for winning and bring in a winning culture. Puck Daddy mentioned the CBJ in an article yesterday as being the 2nd best team in the Metro, and as things sit right now, that's damn hard to argue. And, with any luck, we could certainly beat the Penguins for the top seed. I think this team is that good.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Yeah, but guys like him are catnip to the draftniks. "the ultimate prospect' is sort of like the five team trade around these parts - a mythical thing that is to be desired and pursued at all costs...

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
If its a guaranteed Crosby like talent you go for the pick if its the current lineup we're talking about. With the way the west is stacked right now, I think adding a Crosby like talent would give better odds of winning a future cup then the odds of us winning the cup this year.

HattanJacket85

Jan 20, 2014
New York, NY
Have you ever heard of Ryan Johansen (21), Ryan Murray (20), and Boone Jenner (21) ?

We already have 3 pieces that are set up as the core for the future. Missing the playoffs would be terrible and be a huge step back. The days of pining our hopes on teenage boys potential need to be over.

Thank You!!! I'm done with these "moral" victories. Let's get to the playoffs and do some damage. Anything less than at least a playoff series win is a failure in my book.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah, but guys like him are catnip to the draftniks. "the ultimate prospect' is sort of like the five team trade around these parts - a mythical thing that is to be desired and pursued at all costs...

Last edited by a moderator:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thought I'd revisit this thread. Making the playoffs now looks like a long shot. Pretty much would have to go 6-3-1 every 10 games (37-18-6 for the rest of the season) to finish with 94 points.

Do you prefer a rally to say 86-90 points that would probably land a 12-14th pick or would you rather see the disaster continue and wind up with one of the top 3? McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin?

Put me down for if we are going to miss, let's miss big time and snag one of the three. Not suggesting tanking just saying that that would be the preferred outcome in my mind.

Get healthy, shake up the roster with a trade or two, add a blue chipper in the draft and move forward next year.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Thought I'd revisit this thread. Making the playoffs now looks like a long shot. Pretty much would have to go 6-3-1 every 10 games (37-18-6 for the rest of the season) to finish with 94 points.

Do you prefer a rally to say 86-90 points that would probably land a 12-14th pick or would you rather see the disaster continue and wind up with one of the top 3? McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin?

Put me down for if we are going to miss, let's miss big time and snag one of the three. Not suggesting tanking just saying that that would be the preferred outcome in my mind.

Get healthy, shake up the roster with a trade or two, add a blue chipper in the draft and move forward next year.

Kinda in the same boat, feels bad to say this but hopefully if we continue to suck we stay near the bottem 3 than when the deadline comes we can trade someone and get a lot from them maybe futures or picks

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

As much as I hate saying it, I agree. Send Wennberg down for the rest of the season, as well as Erixon. Let them see big minutes and establish the winning attitude and gain chemistry with Dano and Rychel. Trade Anisimov, Atkinson and the two seconds for a top line player(not top 6, but top line) and retool and pray we win the lottery or are bad enough that if we lose we still land Eichel or Hanafin.

But that's best case scenario, likely we will start winning enough games that we will finish in the 10-15 range and miss out on the franchise changing players and will have to wait 2-3 years to actually develop some 1st rd players :sarcasm:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Well, if its any consolation, with the new lottery format it's not like you have to be awful to have a chance at McDavid. There's about a 50% chance that a team better than 4th last will get McDavid. In the dreaded 8-10 range you still have about a 5% chance at him.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I remain highly skeptical of the superstar draftee equating to long term success for teams- I know it happens, but this league is deep and a lot of teams have great, great players and don't win the cup. The flip side is that finishing so low, in my opinion, is really damaging. It's corrosive.

Having said that, unless I'm mistaken, this seems like a squad that could withstand a low finish and use it to fuel a ferocious campaign next season (rather than let it get them down). And your scenario isn't even factoring a terrible finish. I don't think we make the playoffs this year, so a high, non-playoff finish that resulted in getting the pick of the litter would mean both improved play down the stretch and the chance to affect the team's destiny with the pick. Not bad.

Missing by a point after what it would take to get us back in the race though would really suck.

Also, next offseason, don't make another thread like this one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad