Jackets in the 2022 Olympics

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So, it looks likely that the NHL players will be in the 2022 Olympics. Which Jackets do you think are going to be there?

I’d say Jones and Kukan are locks and Werenski is very likely. Some other guys like Bjork and Elvis are locks if their teams qualify.

Group AGroup BGroup C
  • 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
    Canada
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
    United States
  • 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
    Germany
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
    China
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

USA - Jones, very likely Werenski
Switzerland - Kukan, maybe Berni
Canada - maybe PLD
Russia - maybe Gavrikov
Finland - maybe Nuti, maybe Korpi
Sweden - doubtful for our Swedes
If their countries qualify - Bjorkstrand, Texier, Elvis, Kivlenieks

Latvia and France are fighting for the same spot. Denmark has Norway in their group for another spot.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think Werenski and Gavrikov are more likely than suggested here. Gav's been a Russian National Team regular (he was there for 2018), and I think that pre-existing Z-Jones chemistry is going to look too good to give up.

Nyquist has been an Olympian before as well, albeit as a replacement.

Reactions: rotsbu

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Nyquist and Cam are two guys that have a better shot if the Olympics were now than in two years.

I think Werenski isn’t a lock, but is one step lower than a lock. I agree that chemistry with Jones doesn’t hurt.

Gavrikov and PLD not only depend on their play next year, but also the play of their countrymen. Gavrikov in 2026 might be a better bet than Gavrikov in 2022. PLD has just an insane amount of competition.

If Korpi beats out Elvis, his chances obviously improve.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think Gavrikov is likely, though not a guarantee. I think Cam has a decent shot but he needs a really good playoffs when we get back into it and/or a season next year that was like his 2016-17 season (or last season, but that's gonna be tough without Panarin). I'd be pretty surprised if Z isn't on the roster; he's probably good enough on his own merits, and then also being able to pair him with Jones is a major advantage in a tournament like this with guys that aren't used to playing with each other and very little time to gel.

I have a tough time seeing PLD making team Canada. Just absolutely loaded at center. McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Bergeron, Scheifele, Point, Seguin, O'Reilly, Toews (he'll get the leadership/intangibles bump)... I think he could have a better shot in 2026 when some of those guys retire and/or "age out" (although I'm sure there's some generational 15-year-old that I've never heard of right now who'll surpass him by then...). Canada is relatively weak on both wings; potentially he could be moved there, but I think it's more likely they'd move some of those other aforementioned guys over before choosing PLD, if they wanted to go the C -> W route.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Wennberg is gonna make it because Torts won't be there to hold him back
If Wennberg makes it, it will be because Sweden is weak down the middle with Backstrom, Zibanejad, and then whichever you like out of Wennberg / Rakell / Karlsson / Lindholm / Backlund / Johannsen.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Updated after trades.

USA - Jones, Werenski
Switzerland - Kukan, very slight chance for Berni
Russia - Gavrikov
Finland - Laine, probably Korpi, maybe Koivu

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Updated after trades.

USA - Jones, Werenski
Russia - Gavrikov

Just looking at the summer qualifying tournament now,
France has to beat Latvia to get in, with Latvia being favorites, and Denmark has to beat Norway to get in, with Norway slightly favored.

So there's a good chance we'll see Elvis at the Olympics, Tex unlikely, Bjorkstrand maybe 50/50.
Are those guys playing in the qualifying tournament? It's in the offseason but I'm not sure how seriously they take it.

Reactions: Halberdier

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Updated after trades.

USA - Jones, Werenski
Russia - Gavrikov

finland is pretty stacked in forwards.

so unless Koivu has a serious bounce back i find it unlikely for him to make it. Then again usually coaches prefer veterans over young players

Reactions: Ippenator

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Just looking at the summer qualifying tournament now,
France has to beat Latvia to get in, with Latvia being favorites, and Denmark has to beat Norway to get in, with Norway slightly favored.

So there's a good chance we'll see Elvis at the Olympics, Tex unlikely, Bjorkstrand maybe 50/50.
Are those guys playing in the qualifying tournament? It's in the offseason but I'm not sure how seriously they take it.
When do the play in games start? And are they played with the Olympic rosters?

Nielson
Bjorkstrand
Ehlers
Eller
Bodker
F. Anderson
P. Russell

who does Norway have aside from Zuc?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Locks
Laine
Jones

Bubble
Werenski
Korpisalo
Gavrikov

Werenski's poor start has pushed him on to the bubble, the American team has an incredibly good and deep D core. I'd still bet on him making it, he'll turn it around and they'll want a Werenski-Jones pairing.

Korpi might just be playing himself off the Olympic team.

Gavrikov is still a lock. He's been our best defender and Russia doesn't have a better defender than him.

When do the play in games start? And are they played with the Olympic rosters?

Nielson
Bjorkstrand
Ehlers
Eller
Bodker
F. Anderson
P. Russell

who does Norway have aside from Zuc?

Yes if the NHLers are in the qualifying tournament (it's in August) then Denmark should be expected to beat Norway, which would put them in the Olympics.

Reactions: hn777

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Struggles aside I think Werenski is still a lock. As is Jones.

Korpi is likely as a backup or third string.

Gavrikov is a lock. There’s maybe only 2-3 russian D better than him.

Laine is a lock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad