Post-Game Talk: Jackets def. Canucks - 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
If that is Norris level i don;'t know what to say. Hughes won't ever sniff Norris . Makar is just much better than him on every level. Hughy is not prime Erik Karlsson. who could score 20G and 80 pts. This reminds me of the Petey is McJesus tier talk from 2 years ago.
Okay so you didn't like QHs game....I strongly disagree. I thought Quinn was best player on either side. He was fantastic defensively as well, and has been strong all season.

I don't care what Makar does. There is room for more than one Norris caliber defensemen in this league. And please note the context. ***THIS GAME***

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Okay so you didn't like QHs game....I strongly disagree. I thought Quinn was best player on either side. He was fantastic defensively as well, and has been strong all season.

I don't care what Makar does. There is room for more than one Norris caliber defensemen in this league. And please note the context. ***THIS GAME***

I was as hard on Hughes as anyone last year, but Hughes has absolutely improved his defensive game this year. The stats show it too. Hopefully he can keep it up. He would be in the Norris conversation if our offence wasn't playing like garbage imo.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Yea Hughes is absolutely among at least the dark horse Norris talks on probably ANY other team. He basically is our offence, putting up the points on a team that doesn't score. Not easy for a Dman. OEL is kinda fading too, so not sure if Id call anyone better defensively..

Reactions: Grantham

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I do feel bad for the players when they play well, dominate possession and still lose. But this team's structure just crumples when they get down, and they lose all composure and any ability to box out. You can feel them just sag. The freefall continues. Waiting for the first one to go and trigger the exodus.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I do feel bad for the players when they play well, dominate possession and still lose. But this team's structure just crumples when they get down, and they lose all composure and any ability to box out. You can feel them just sag. The freefall continues. Waiting for the first one to go and trigger the exodus.
We probably need more age gappers.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat have combined for 13 goals and 30 points.......and we are 1/4 of the way through the season.

Johnny Hockey has 9 goals. 14 assists..23 points....

This. Boeser with 4+4. The plan was him to be our top line guy.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Eichel had 2 goals last season in 21 games. When a company goes down, all the employees look bad. Bo and BB would no doubt have career years if traded.

Reactions: Indiana

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat have combined for 13 goals and 30 points.......and we are 1/4 of the way through the season.

Johnny Hockey has 9 goals. 14 assists..23 points....

Two of them are part of the "3 consecutive Calder winner/runnerups". Just goes to show that this means nothing if you have no clue how to develop your players and the whole organization is a gong show. The Canucks may have had improved drafting under Benning compared to previous regimes but its worth to note that the majority of players started to stagnate once they came into the organization. Instead of improving they start to regress.

Reactions: Indiana

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Two of them are part of the "3 consecutive Calder winner/runnerups". Just goes to show that this means nothing if you have no clue how to develop your players and the whole organization is a gong show. The Canucks may have had improved drafting under Benning compared to previous regimes but its worth to note that the majority of players started to stagnate once they came into the organization. Instead of improving they start to regress.
Drafting gurus don’t care. Just draft more Calder candidates. :sarcasm:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not really, Brock Boeser and Elias Pettersson are both developed players, entering their prime years..Boeser had a good season last year, and Pettersson has had two great years (mostly injured in his third)...both under the same coach..Disregarding years of playing at a top level to pigeonholing their entire careers into this seasons 20 games isnt fair..imo.

Both are off to extremely rough starts..and neither seem physically up to the task..Skating, and acceleration is a chore for both of these players right now...The Canucks are no flagship for player development, but a certain amount of responsibility has to go the players themselves.

Last edited:

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Not really, Brock Boeser and Elias Pettersson are both developed players, entering their prime years..Boeser had a good season last year, and Pettersson has had two great years (mostly injured in his third)...both under the same coach..Disregarding years of playing at a top level to pigeonholing their entire careers into this seasons 20 games isnt fair..imo.

Both are off to extremely rough starts..and neither seem physically up to the task..Skating, and acceleration is a chore for both of these players right now...The Canucks are no flagship for player development, but a certain amount of responsibility has to go the players themselves.

Petterson just turned 23 and has had 2 good seasons. "Disregarding years of playing at a top level" "their entire careers". It was TWO good seasons in Petterson's case. Lol come on you're talking like he's a seasoned vet with no room for improvement left? Guy never even broke a point per game nor has he played close to 82 games.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Petterson just turned 23 and has had 2 good seasons. "Disregarding years of playing at a top level" "their entire careers". It was TWO good seasons in Petterson's case. Lol come on you're talking like he's a seasoned vet with no room for improvement left? Guy never even broke a point per game nor has he played close to 82 games.
He certainly has room for improvement, but the guy were seeing now, is a mere shell of himself....If healthy, he would have been averaging 75 points a season in his first two seasons, and he was a point per game in the playoffs...He's really only played 2 seasons.

I would buy into the he's been 'developed poorly' narrative if his skills were there, and he was just mentally dogging it...but its not the case..He literally looks physically weak, and slow and out of sync..

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Do you seriously think Pettersson and Boeser have improved compared to their 1st/2nd season? While Boeser may have improved his 2-way game a bit his offence/scoring has suffered. Pettersson has looked pretty bad over the past two years. Last year wasnt great even before the injury and while he started to score after a poor start his still looked like a shadow of his former self. This is the time when both should start improve and not stagnate or even get worse.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
He certainly has room for improvement, but the guy were seeing now, is a mere shell of himself....If healthy, he would have been averaging 75 points a season in his first two seasons, and he was a point per game in the playoffs...He's really only played 2 seasons.

I would buy into the he's been 'developed poorly' narrative if his skills were there, and he was just mentally dogging it...but its not the case..He literally looks physically weak, and slow and out of sync..

In particular the "He literally looks physically weak, and slow" part is an indication of "developed poorly". The team needs to guide him, how to gain strength without losing mobility and quickness, how to be in shape, how to have the right mindset, how to stay interested. There is more to development than lifting weights, skating circles and doing shooting drills.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I

It doesn't work like that. It's the teams job to make sure the player is physically stronger, fast and in sync, otherwise someone could say well we didn't develop player "x" they just took it upon themselves to get stronger, faster and in sync and no development criteria would ever exist and could never be evaluated.

This team didn't develop Bo, he just got quicker, stronger etc on his own.

Boeser and Petterson both had their best years their first two seasons now they both look like pure regression.

This happens when you surround your players in a losing atmosphere with bad coaching, bad rosters and bad leaders

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Do you seriously think Pettersson and Boeser have improved compared to their 1st/2nd season? While Boeser may have improved his 2-way game a bit his offence/scoring has suffered. Pettersson has looked pretty bad over the past two years. Last year wasnt great even before the injury and while he started to score after a poor start his still looked like a shadow of his former self. This is the time when both should start improve and not stagnate or even get worse.
No,...and neither myself, or anybody else has claimed that they've improved..Boeser played well last season, considering it took him a few years to get back up to speed after the back injury....Again, both players have demonstrated they can play very well, and have before under the current coach ...What I'm seeing are two players that dont look like they're in game shape..Skating looks like an absolute chore for Boeser this season, and looks a half step behind...and pettersson looks weak as hell..Is that on poor development?

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Virtanen, McCann, Gadjovich, Dahlen, Vey, Tryamkin, Juolevi, literally our whole AHL club, Pouliot, Hutton, Stecher, Goldobin, McEneny, the list goes on

Basically any young player who comes through here turns to dust at some point or another. Sometimes the first rounders look promising out of the gate, as they should but eventually they turn to inevitable dust

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
No,...and neither myself, or anybody else has claimed that they've improved..Boeser played well last season, considering it took him a few years to get back up to speed after the back injury....Again, both players have demonstrated they can play very well, and have before under the current coach ...What I'm seeing are two players that dont look like they're in game shape..Skating looks like an absolute chore for Boeser this season, and looks a half step behind...and pettersson looks weak as hell..Is that on poor development?

Umm yes, yes it is. They also look disinterested and depressed and are not having fun

Yes or no question for you. Is this club good at developing young talent?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In particular the "He literally looks physically weak, and slow" part is an indication of "developed poorly". The team needs to guide him, how to gain strength without losing mobility and quickness, how to be in shape, how to have the right mindset, how to stay interested. There is more to development than lifting weights, skating circles and doing shooting drills.
Apparently, Pettersson is a fanatic about fitness, and having the right mindset....If playing in the NHL, and for your teammates isn't enough to personally motivate you as a player..Then you're not going to win this player anyway.

There is so much other material to dunk on the coaching, but I'm buying this one (especially after only 20 games)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Virtanen, McCann, Gadjovich, Dahlen, Vey, Tryamkin, Juolevi, literally our whole AHL club, Pouliot, Hutton, Stecher, Goldobin, McEneny, the list goes on

Basically any young player who comes through here turns to dust at some point or another. Sometimes the first rounders look promising out of the gate, as they should but eventually they turn to inevitable dust
Half of these players are not even NHL players..you could make this list for every team in the league.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Apparently, Pettersson is a fanatic about fitness, and having the right mindset....If playing in the NHL, and for your teammates isn't enough to personally motivate you as a player..Then you're not going to win this player anyway.

There is so much other material to dunk on the coaching, but I'm buying this one (especially after only 20 games)

I am not questioning Petterssons effort to do something (be it fitness or whatever) but it seems that he is not doing the right things that help his development. And no, this isnt just about coaching, coaching can do only so much as this needs to be an organizational thing. They need to help with nutrition, training plans, video coaching, giving them points to focus on, helping the players to develop routines how to go about their day and whatever - its not about practicing every free minute. If you look at the young players coming into this organization there is a clear pattern. Can you name me several guys who came in and made significant strides after coming into the organization? Its basically just Horvat and Demko and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad