Former Bruins Jack Studnicka

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Jack just looked pretty good on a 40 second shift where he assisted Aiden McDonough who scored his first goal. I will try to find a link because it was nice.
NHL network showed it On the Fly

Thanks for update

Hosts Jamie Hirsch is the best and Steve Konroyd long time nhl D man who covered Mason Lohrei is a big fan of hm and thinks he will be very good

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
NHL network showed it On the Fly

Thanks for update

Hosts Jamie Hirsch is the best and Steve Konroyd long time nhl D man who covered Mason Lohrei is a big fan of hm and thinks he will be very good
I guess it’s no secret I still believe in him. long term and without setting a firm expectation, but hoping for the best.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Last time I looked,he had only 4 goals and 3 assists and was scratched now and then. Meanwhile, Myrenberg is developing nicely. I have to give the scouts and Sweeney credit for that one.
Jack looked good last night vs Flames with a couple golden chances.But as you said numbers not there .

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You also guaranteed the Bruins would miss the playoffs and Sweeney fired

At this point, I’m convinced Studnicka is going to be 40 years old, out of hockey altogether for the last 8 or more years, but we will still have three or four posters on the board holding out hope.

There’s no reason for me or anyone else to not wish him well, but I have zero clue where it is that people like yourself are seeing any hope for him being anything above a tweener.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
At this point, I’m convinced Studnicka is going to be 40 years old, out of hockey altogether for the last 8 or more years, but we will still have three or four posters on the board holding out hope.

There’s no reason for me or anyone else to not wish him well, but I have zero clue where it is that people like yourself are seeing any hope for him being anything above a tweener.

I don't see it either. Something happened with Studnicka's drive or killer instinct. He had it coming out of juniors and his first year, and then it seemed like his drive to play hockey just gradually disappeared. There was just no fight in him on too many nights.

Same thing happened with JFK. I'm not casting blame on either player, I think the mental aspect can be just as hard to control as the physical, maybe harder. If JFK and Studnicka had Marchand's compete level, they would both be good top six centers in the league. But they don't and that's a real factor that separates players in professional hockey.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I don't see it either. Something happened with Studnicka's drive or killer instinct. He had it coming out of juniors and his first year, and then it seemed like his drive to play hockey just gradually disappeared. There was just no fight in him on too many nights.

Same thing happened with JFK. I'm not casting blame on either player, I think the mental aspect can be just as hard to control as the physical, maybe harder. If JFK and Studnicka had Marchand's compete level, they would both be good top six centers in the league. But they don't and that's a real factor that separates players in professional hockey.

I’m always hesitant to weigh in too much on young players with limited NHL ice time just because there’s a whole lot of posters on this board with far more knowledge than me in that department.

But sometimes I think a “bias” or just overly rosy optimism can form from following prospects for years before they hit the NHL. Even without any proof of an effective game at the highest level, it’s easy to glorify what was seen at lower levels as more transferable to the upper echelons of hockey when it often isn’t.

A couple people have tried to compare Studnicka’s slow production rate so far in the NHL to Marchand (who coincidentally you brought up here). But the compete was always evident in Marchand. The missing open nets and finishes was too, but the drive (and talent) was there as soon as Marchand got his first shot.

As you have rightly pointed out, at no point in his time with the Bruins did I really see the intensity or a desire to do whatever it took to retain his spot at the NHL level. He’s getting another shot on a weak roster and is pretty middling there too, getting scratched numerous times and putting up little in the way of points.

I have zero reason not to wish him well. But he has shown what amounts to a whole bunch of nothing after 80 or so NHL games. He doesn’t get forever to prove it. And that’s about the player and his abilities, not a bad management group, coach, etc.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Fans inflate and then hypercriticize "desire". By all accounts he is a great kid and devoted player. The game just gets harder the closer to the top. It's easy to look like you're playing all out when you know you can get by guys and muscle people off of pucks. But when they're quicker and bigger ...

Reactions: Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Fans inflate and then hypercriticize "desire". By all accounts he is a great kid and devoted player. The game just gets harder the closer to the top. It's easy to look like you're playing all out when you know you can get by guys and muscle people off of pucks. But when they're quicker and bigger ...
The nhl is a different animal. Impossible to know for sure how a player will translate

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Last time I looked,he had only 4 goals and 3 assists and was scratched now and then. Meanwhile, Myrenberg is developing nicely. I have to give the scouts and Sweeney credit for that one.
Not a single complaint about the Bruins decision making on him. No second guessing. I just like the player. I continue to pull for him and believe it is in there to be unlocked. I don’t know ceiling but I think he has skill and should have a 200’ game if he can gain the on ice strength to compete at this level. He obviously has the workout down. It’s on him to get there and again I only heard good thinks about his effort and perseverance. I like him as a diamond in the rough. I wouldn’t sign him in the off-season if he were available if I were in the Bs position. In Vancouver’s position, I’d let it play out. I let it percolate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad