Prospect Info: Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020) -- Ottawa 67s (3 year ELC signed 11/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
You can probably put this pick on our "analytics".

Quinn becomes the first draft selection for Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams, who was appointed to the position in June. Adams tasked director of scouting Jeremiah Crowe and director of analytics Jason Nightingale with revisiting the draft process with a blend of data and video scouting.
"There was a challenge to them in June to say, 'Let's really make sure we're taking another look at this and we're going to reset some metrics on how we're going to evaluate players,'" Adams said Monday. "Those guys really bought in and have covered an incredible amount of ground."

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don't understand the hate for this pick. Quinn seems like a very good goal scorer....and we have precious little offensive talent in the organization.

To me, this says that Buffalo is VERY comfortable with a center duo of Eichel and Cozens going forward.

I don't hate this pick at all. Very intriguing, IMO.

I vaguely remember both you & I having similar reaction with the Cozens pick while many others were crying about not picking Zegras or Krebs.

Can't love it or can't hate it.

Hopefully he develops well & he makes people eat their words.

How close to NHL readiness is he? Realistic shot to play 21/22?

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The reaction around here is very much reminding me of last year's 1st round.

Lots of solid offensive talent around where we picked. Many wanted Zegras. Or Krebs. Or Caufield. Or anyone but the guy we actually picked.

It looks like that one is going to work out well for us. Instead of being overly dramatic, let's maybe see what happens?

FrenchConnection

Aug 28, 2020
Should have traded the pick and gotten something to help them become a playoff team.

And yeah i get you need a partner/someone to trade with and it needs to be a good trade...but all this does is provide a few years down the road guy..we need something for NOW..Stall= nice pickup but just netting him= another MISSED playoff year, Not looking too hopeful for this season being a playoff season.

Reactions: beerme1

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Higher ceiling. The biggest concern scouts had with Rossi was that he didn't have much more room for development.

Appreciate the reply, let’s hope so!

Lots of solid offensive talent around where we picked. Many wanted Zegras. Or Krebs. Or Caufield. Or anyone but the guy we actually picked.

It looks like that one is going to work out well for us. Instead of being overly dramatic, let's maybe see what happens?
This is very true, this board hated Cozens last year

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003

There was almost 100 percent agreement that the board wanted Rossi. That surely didnt happen last year

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
His average-at-best skating and high shooting percentage as an over-ager scare the crap out of me. Way lower floor than Rossi imo

And this goes directly to what Adams said in the "Embedded" thing. SOmetimes you have to take a chance on a guy with a high ceiling.

And from what I'm reading, this guy might have a ceiling right up there with AF/Byfield. Could be an elite-level scorer that plays both ways....kinda like a Mark Stone. Could also completely crap out.

Is Rossi going to be an NHL player? Sure. But his ceiling isn't nearly as high as Quinn's, IMO. It's the kind of pick this board has been crying for for years......a super high ceiling pick.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007

It also reminds me of the reaction when the Bills drafted Josh Allen over Josh Rosen? "OMG We drafted the wrong Josh"

Now it just "OMG we got the wrong guy from Ottawa 67s" I have no clue this year, but I hope it works out as well as football.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
And this goes directly to what Adams said in the "Embedded" thing. SOmetimes you have to take a chance on a guy with a high ceiling.

And from what I'm reading, this guy might have a ceiling right up there with AF/Byfield. Could be an elite-level scorer that plays both ways....kinda like a Mark Stone. Could also completely crap out.

Is Rossi going to be an NHL player? Sure. But his ceiling isn't nearly as high as Quinn's, IMO. It's the kind of pick this board has been crying for for years......a super high ceiling pick.

completely disagree with Rossi having a lower ceiling than Quinn or not having as much room to grow than the guy that is 4 days older than him.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I feel exactly the same way as when we took Nylander. Stupid pick by a stupid franchise.
The two players aren't even close in their game.Quinn is a driven tough guy to play against and is excellent defensively.He goes to the dirty areas and has an elite shot.Love his two way game.Preferred Rossi and Lundell but still like the pick.I started thinking he might be pick when Adam's said we want to get bigger and tougher to play against

Reactions: Onry

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Should have traded the pick and gotten something to help them become a playoff team.

And yeah i get you need a partner/someone to trade with and it needs to be a good trade...but all this does is provide a few years down the road guy..we need something for NOW..Stall= nice pickup but just netting him= another MISSED playoff year, Not looking too hopeful for this season being a playoff season.

Agreed.

Rossi is a guy that can probably step in and contribute right now. Trading the pick accomplishes that as well.

I don't think Quinn is ready for the NHL. The Sabres are going to have to make some moves without using the #8 pick to seriously improve this team or else Eichel's asking out next summer.

You still need a top six RW. You still need a 3C. You still need a LHD behind Dahlin. You still need a goalie. You "should" consider getting another RHD (although we have 4 of them, they're all #4-6D at best).

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If he turns into a pure goal scorer it will be nice having two lines one consisting of Oloffson and the other Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad