Prospect Info: Jack Matier, D, 124th Overall, Ottawa 67's

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I doubt Ekholm was ever a caught up in the country club and McD isn’t the better player to lead the youngsters. If they could have traded McD, they would have
McDonagh is a great leader though and you can’t discredit him there…

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Honestly how do we know either way? How can someone not on the bench or locker room say what kind of leader he is?

This is a good point. All we can really base this on is reading between the lines. Kind of like the certainty of there being a 'country club'.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
About this “country club”. The middle Tennessee is a great place to live. The lifestyle is much of what a family environment is all about. It is a place where a respite from the daily work day can be enjoyed. It provides relief for the soul.
Many players and their families fall in love with this area and want to be here.
But it can creep onto the job, be it on the ice or other work environments. Then it can lead to problems.
I think some of that crept into the Preds team dynamics, hence “country club”.
I think it was and is possible to recognize the players who fell prey to this feeling. It is hard to live with that feeling but “turn it on “ when on the job. And that goes for folks other than hockey players.
Having said all that, I think it was easy to see that Eckholm did not fall into that category. On the ice he was giving it all he had, all the time. I’m pretty sure he enjoyed the middle Tennessee environment but seemed to be able to not work that relaxed way on the ice. Y’all all saw him. I never saw lack of effort. Nope, he wasn’t a “member of the country club”.
(In my opinion).

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
About this “country club”. The middle Tennessee is a great place to live. The lifestyle is much of what a family environment is all about. It is a place where a respite from the daily work day can be enjoyed. It provides relief for the soul.
Many players and their families fall in love with this area and want to be here.
But it can creep onto the job, be it on the ice or other work environments. Then it can lead to problems.
I think some of that crept into the Preds team dynamics, hence “country club”.
I think it was and is possible to recognize the players who fell prey to this feeling. It is hard to live with that feeling but “turn it on “ when on the job. And that goes for folks other than hockey players.
Having said all that, I think it was easy to see that Eckholm did not fall into that category. On the ice he was giving it all he had, all the time. I’m pretty sure he enjoyed the middle Tennessee environment but seemed to be able to not work that relaxed way on the ice. Y’all all saw him. I never saw lack of effort. Nope, he wasn’t a “member of the country club”.
(In my opinion).
I think Ekholm was a give it his all type guy, and that's why he had value and was unfortunately moved.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Honestly how do we know either way? How can someone not on the bench or locker room say what kind of leader he is?
I could say the same about ROR then?
How do we know he’s a good leader any more than McDonagh??

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I could say the same about ROR then?
How do we know he’s a good leader any more than McDonagh??
"We" don't. We're not in the position to say. Now there's 100 reports saying he is, but whether or not I personally can credit or discredit someone as a leader, I can't, and most posters can't. I also don't think we're in position to say which players were needed to be moved for culture reasons outside of Duchene and Johansen. The proof is in the buyouts and retentions.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
"We" don't. We're not in the position to say. Now there's 100 reports saying he is, but whether or not I personally can credit or discredit someone as a leader, I can't, and most posters can't. I also don't think we're in position to say which players were needed to be moved for culture reasons outside of Duchene and Johansen. The proof is in the buyouts and retentions.
I guess it’s all heresy. A lot of people have said just as much as they have about ROR that McDonagh is a great leader and a super guy to have around in the locker room.

That’s why I don’t understand josi being discredited as a leader in that other thread, we do not know what’s going on and I have never once heard someone speak poorly about Josi’s leadership that’s actually involved with the team in any way.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I guess it’s all heresy. A lot of people have said just as much as they have about ROR that McDonagh is a great leader and a super guy to have around in the locker room.

That’s why I don’t understand josi being discredited as a leader in that other thread, we do not know what’s going on and I have never once heard someone speak poorly about Jodi’s leadership that’s actually involved with the team in any way.
How many times have you ever heard any hockey player publicly talk bad about another player let alone a Captain?

Keep in mind there is a big difference in being a good guy, being a leader, and then being the leader of a team. I think Josi is fine as far as the first two go, just not sold on the last.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
How many times have you ever heard any hockey player publicly talk bad about another player let alone a Captain?

Keep in mind there is a big difference in being a good guy, being a leader, and then being the leader of a team. I think Josi is fine as far as the first two go, just not sold on the last.
he was good enough of a leader to get us to the finals.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
I certainly can’t say. All we can really comment on is what we see on the ice. Occasionally there comes a player who “looks” so talented but the execution just isn’t there. This disturbs us and we tend to say they’re not bringing it every night. Loafing if you will. But actually we don’t even know that. So, yeah, we’re not really qualified to determine leadership ability. But I’ll probably keep on doing it. My bad.

• Haha
Reactions: triggrman

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
19 is the legal drinking age in Canada right? Seems odd from the American perspective
Yes it is. You Americans need to adapt. I remember yeeeeeears ago being 20 and going for a Sabres game and couldn’t drink. I was not happy hahaha

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
:oops: For some reason I thought it was 18.

They should have done like a Letterkenny thing with Team Canada 19 year olds all holding the Matier beer. Northern Ontario boys getting ready for the big game.

1693062850524.png

• Haha
Reactions: maplepred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad