Prospect Info: Jack Matier, D, 124th Overall, Ottawa 67's

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Those were apparently his first two OHL goals? Did he play somewhere else last year

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Seems a bit unusual, but here it is:

:dunno: Or is it somehow related to loaning him to Team Canada? :dunno:

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He ended up not having a very distinguished World Juniors, being the spare D and not playing much, but hey, for where we picked him, just being on the team and coming home with a Gold medal is already beyond any expectation we had.

His progression has been great. From losing a year due to Covid (but getting a U-18 Gold Medal), to a solid OHL D+1 to now having more points in 28 games in D+2 than he had in 66 games the year before and +49 swing.

All in a 6'4-5 Right D.

Prokop is a year older and wasn't quite ready for pros yet nor doing quite as well in junior atm, but either way that's two large RD coming onboard for Milwaukee next year. Hope we can develop these guys up properly.

1673815517191.png

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
This guy ended up having 49 points (13 goals) in 58 ohl games as a 19 year old last season.
He’s listed at 6’5” with above average skating and no knocks on him defensively or offensively.
I wonder if we may have something here… some of these big guys are late bloomers and he’s still just nicely turned 20.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Why down on him??
Nobody has really talked about him at all on this forum, good or bad. I think people just have to be realistic about tempering their expectations. He is likely going to play in the ECHL in the coming season, since we really have too many bodies in Milwaukee on D. He played on a strong junior team that inflated his scoring stats, but he's still a 6'5" D with some offense who made Team Canada in the World Juniors, so it's still a great start for him. It's just he is going to have to take some additional significant steps in the next 3 years in Atlanta and Milwaukee before we'll really be able to tell if he'll emerge as a serious prospect for us or not. He has all the tools. Now it's up to him.

But if you were just going by where he is today, you'd probably have to project that with a "typical prospect progression" he won't make the NHL at all, not even as a 6/7 D. Who cares about that, though, he's going to work hard over the next 3 years and hopefully push himself into the mix, progress better than most, and that's what we have to hope for.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Those were apparently his first two OHL goals? Did he play somewhere else last year
Hey, the kid had a 5 point game and that’s good ; remember that! Right now he’s neither Bobby Orr or (name of 1,000 failed prospects). Good for him; keep it up! Preds need you! Congrats!

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
I remember when everyone on here was "down on" Ekholm as a prospect?
Yeah, I remember. One other thing I know; he has not been replaced and he will not be replaced anytime soon. In this day of scoring, scoring Dmen being the current darling we lose track of a real Dman. Preds had one! I know Preds got a lot for Eckholm but he is gone and, I repeat, not replaced.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah, I remember. One other thing I know; he has not been replaced and he will not be replaced anytime soon. In this day of scoring, scoring Dmen being the current darling we lose track of a real Dman. Preds had one! I know Preds got a lot for Eckholm but he is gone and, I repeat, not replaced.
McDonagh…?

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Nobody has really talked about him at all on this forum, good or bad. I think people just have to be realistic about tempering their expectations. He is likely going to play in the ECHL in the coming season, since we really have too many bodies in Milwaukee on D. He played on a strong junior team that inflated his scoring stats, but he's still a 6'5" D with some offense who made Team Canada in the World Juniors, so it's still a great start for him. It's just he is going to have to take some additional significant steps in the next 3 years in Atlanta and Milwaukee before we'll really be able to tell if he'll emerge as a serious prospect for us or not. He has all the tools. Now it's up to him.

But if you were just going by where he is today, you'd probably have to project that with a "typical prospect progression" he won't make the NHL at all, not even as a 6/7 D. Who cares about that, though, he's going to work hard over the next 3 years and hopefully push himself into the mix, progress better than most, and that's what we have to hope for.
you've been a pretty big naysayer my guy

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
McDonagh replaces about half of Ekholm's game IMO. He sort of - in a slightly different way - handles the defensive reliability part. But I don't think McDonagh could ever step up and shoulder the load as the overall #1 guy the way Ekholm was able to sometimes when Josi was out.
McDonagh…?
Good player; in his prime(someplace else!), a very good player. Compared to Eckholm? Nope, not that close. But glad to have McD.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Is Ekholm more talented than McD? Arguably he is. But as between the two, McD is by far the better player to have on this team and the "reset" that Trotz is doing. McD is going to help shape the next generation of Pred talent and help instill a return to the Predator Way, and unfortunately I think Eks was caught up in the so called "country club". So yeah, we are arguably sacrificing more talent on the ice, but the reality is that Trotz and co are trying to re-establish the identity we lost years ago and trying to add more talent to that effort.

Reactions: maplepred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad