Jack Johnson - WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
I just heard Jack Johnson on a radio interview last night and he was asked about not making the team and his response was first class. He said he was not mad he was disappointed, but he hopes they go out and defend the gold and bring home a championship. The interviewer asked him after the way he's been treated would he consider playing for USA hockey again. Jack said, I am proud to be playing for USA now and if they ask me I'll be there. I am 60 years old, I've been a big fan of Jack Johnson's for years - I've followed him since he was a bantam - and I am more impressed than I have ever been. As good as he is on the ice, his character in this interview revealed him to be equally impressive off the ice. Please Mr. Gainey trade up and get this kid!!!

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
OOOOO... someone who has seen him play. Just a couple of questions. What reason do you think that team USA left him off the team? People make him sound like the second coming of Denis Potvin and he sounds like a pretty complete package. I just wanted to know if all of this skill and physical play leads him out of position? All players have a downside. What are his and are they correctable?

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
I have no idea why the USA team left him off the roster. but they may come to regret not having him at the blue line. The only criticism I have ever heard is that sometimes he will try to do too much - something that is very easily corrected. Actually, the bigger the game the better he plays. His great skating ability has alway enabled him to get back. In the college games and international games he's played in he has always been the best player on the ice. Probably why he's ranked #2 in the latest ISS report. Did you know that Canada left LeMieux off their team one year?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Wow this kid just sounds better and better. Its also great to hear about his character. That was pretty first class that he showed no signs of a grudge. About Lemieux, that might have been his call. I remember that he was almost suspended from the Q and took them to court. Maybe someone else could elaborate a little more.

Hab Fan said:
I have no idea why the USA team left him off the roster. but they may come to regret not having him at the blue line. The only criticism I have ever heard is that sometimes he will try to do too much - something that is very easily corrected. Actually, the bigger the game the better he plays. His great skating ability has alway enabled him to get back. In the college games and international games he's played in he has always been the best player on the ice. Probably why he's ranked #2 in the latest ISS report. Did you know that Canada left LeMieux off their team one year?

I think Lemieux had a problem with the coaching staff, and didn't want to play.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Hab Fan said:
I just heard Jack Johnson on a radio interview last night and he was asked about not making the team and his response was first class. He said he was not mad he was disappointed, but he hopes they go out and defend the gold and bring home a championship. The interviewer asked him after the way he's been treated would he consider playing for USA hockey again. Jack said, I am proud to be playing for USA now and if they ask me I'll be there. I am 60 years old, I've been a big fan of Jack Johnson's for years - I've followed him since he was a bantam - and I am more impressed than I have ever been. As good as he is on the ice, his character in this interview revealed him to be equally impressive off the ice. Please Mr. Gainey trade up and get this kid!!!

Pure class. More and more I am just praying that the Caps get to draft in the top 3, because there seems to be a bit of a drop off developing between 3 and 4. Should be an interesting angle to follow.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Hab Fan said:

Well thx for the info...glad to finally see someone who's actually seen him play quite a bit. I'm also really glad to see the kid's got good character. For a 17 year old kid to take a dissapointment like that with class really says alot.

Is there anyway you could elaborate on his game a little more from all of what you've seen? Given his size, how you think his game would translate to the NHL, maybe a player his style kinda reminds you of? Thanks for any help.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
b-mad said:
Well thx for the info...glad to finally see someone who's actually seen him play quite a bit. I'm also really glad to see the kid's got good character. For a 17 year old kid to take a dissapointment like that with class really says alot.

Is there anyway you could elaborate on his game a little more from all of what you've seen? Given his size, how you think his game would translate to the NHL, maybe a player his style kinda reminds you of? Thanks for any help.

Well, he's only 17 so he's still growing. He could easily be 6' 2'' 210+ when it's all said and done. Think of everything you could want in a defenseman and he's it.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Well, he's only 17 so he's still growing. He could easily be 6' 2'' 210+ when it's all said and done. Think of everything you could want in a defenseman and he's it.

That's a bit much to ask. :) Have you seen him play? If so, what sticks out to you? And by his size, I don't think he can't be very effective, just not a monster hitter like Pronger, Jovo, etc..

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
b-mad said:
That's a bit much to ask. :) Have you seen him play? If so, what sticks out to you? And by his size, I don't think he can't be very effective, just not a monster hitter like Pronger, Jovo, etc..

It's been proven countless times that you can be 5'10-6'0 and weigh less than 200 lbs and still be a monster hitter. Just look at Peca. And Jack Johnson IS a monster hitter. Not Phaneuf league but then again no one is.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
b-mad said:

Great natural ability coupled with a willingness to hit (to hurt). He can be every bit as devestating a hitter despite not being as big as a guy like Pronger.

Last edited:

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
It's been proven countless times that you can be 5'10-6'0 and weigh less than 200 lbs and still be a monster hitter. Just look at Peca. And Jack Johnson IS a monster hitter. Not Phaneuf league but then again no one is.

It takes alot more effort for smaller guys to hit, basically throwing their bodies at someone whereas Pronger can just skate in your way and lay you out....thats what I was getting at. But if this guy is near the natural hitter that you and Rabid think he is I'm more than happy with that part of his game.

I've also heard he's more of an offensive guy......whadda ya think?

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
His offensive talent is incredible, as well as his defensive ability. What throws people is they expect a player to be one or the other, this kid is BOTH!! Just ask Red Berensen, who still can't believe he'll actually enroll at Michigan.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I second the desire for the Caps to get in the top 3...

Crosby, Brule, Johnson....

either way, Caps win.

Crosby/Brule - obviously the Caps get their franchise centerman they need badly.

Johnson, they get the top end defenseman prospect they desperately need.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Hab Fan said:
His offensive talent is incredible, as well as his defensive ability. What throws people is they expect a player to be one or the other, this kid is BOTH!! Just ask Red Berensen, who still can't believe he'll actually enroll at Michigan.

You've said you've been following this kid for awhile, what's your take on how long he'll stay at Michigan before making the jump? I know it usually takes d-men a bit longer till they're ready.

As for your take on him, yeah I guess people tend to want to put players in categorys (like all things), which I'm guilty of. Anyway, that is an awful gushing review of this guy....a whole lot to live up to. Since I've seen more than a few who basically share your opinion so I guess he is the real deal, and if he lives up to 80% of what you and some others think he'll be a great one...now I hope the Caps do grab him instead of Brule (his size is an issue and they desperatly need help on D).

One other question, since (if I remember correctly) this is basically what was said about J-Bo before he was drafted how do you compare the two at this same point in their development?

BTW, thanks all for the help.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
i've been a fan of this kid as well for a while now. infact i initally said he was right behind sydney in my eyes about 2 years ago. now all we need is him in a ranger jersey :yo:

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Anybody's guess how long he stays at Michigan, lots of factore-current labor issues, etc. I would guess at least 2-3. I believe he really likes the college atmosphere and wants a degree from Michigan.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hab Fan said:
Anybody's guess how long he stays at Michigan, lots of factore-current labor issues, etc. I would guess at least 2-3. I believe he really likes the college atmosphere and wants a degree from Michigan.

probably turn pro after his sophomore year

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Dion Phaneuf>>>>>>>>>>>Jack Johnson
nothing else needs to be said!

Amazing. A poster by the name of "phaneuf_fan_3 is pumping up, guess who? Dion Phaneuf, in a Jack Johnson thread of all things. Go home bozo. Anyway: Jack Johnson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dion Phaneuf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad