Jack Hughes vs Moritz Seider

who would you rather build your franchise around?

• Total voters

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
When the comment was made it held true, times change? Just because you can't improve doesn't meant others don't.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Hughes definitely wasn't elite when you posted this. At the time, he only had 26 goals and 49 points through his first 41 games. Only 8th in goals, 3rd in ES goals, and 11th in points!

But somehow, he magically transformed from a non-elite player to an elite player in a matter of weeks, adding 9 more goals and 18 more points in his next 9 games. His league wide ranks after those 50 games:

- 1st in goals at ES and 5v5
- 1st in primary points at 5v5 and ES (41 ES P1, the next highest forward had 36)
- 2nd in points at ES and 5v5 (1st among forwards)
- 3rd in total goals (behind two soon to be 60 goal scorers in Pastrnak and McDavid)
- 3rd in shots on goal
- 7th in points

Giving him a stat line of:
50gp 35g 67p +15 (a 57g 111 point pace), with 59.7 xG% at 5v5 while leading the Devils to 3rd in league standings.

I can only draw 1 of 3 conclusions from this:

1) Those league wide rankings and stats are not representative of an elite player.
2) He was an elite player by game 50, after a miraculous 3 week transformation.
3) You were wrong and unable to admit it.

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on #3.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
Yeah, I guess you're right. Hughes definitely wasn't elite when you posted this. At the time, he only had 26 goals and 49 points through his first 41 games. Only 8th in goals, 3rd in ES goals, and 11th in points!

But somehow, he magically transformed from a non-elite player to an elite player in a matter of weeks, adding 9 more goals and 18 more points in his next 9 games. His league wide ranks after those 50 games:

- 1st in primary points at 5v5 and ES (41 ES P1, the next highest forward had 36)
- 3rd in total goals (behind two soon to be 60 goal scorers in Pastrnak and McDavid)
- 3rd in shots on goal
- 7th in points

50gp 35g 67p +15 (a 57g 111 point pace), with 59.7 xG% at 5v5 while leading the Devils to 3rd in league standings.

1) Those league wide rankings and stats are not representative of an elite player.

You don't get the elite tag till you have a proven track record. Cheechoo had a crazy amount of goals and failed to follow it up, he wasn't elite, he was a flash in the pan (yes, there were some extenuating circumstances with him but it doesn't change the fact he wasn't elite).
We've seen numerous players over the years have outlier years thus why having the track record is important. Hell, Larkin this year has had a helluva start, doesn't make him elite, just a hot start.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You don't get the elite tag till you have a proven track record.
Well he had 26g 56p in 49gp the year before on a terrible devils team, 14th in primary points per game and 15th in goals per game.

So that's 61g 123p in his prior 99gp. I guess that's not elite enough

Cheechoo had a crazy amount of goals and failed to follow it up, he wasn't elite, he was a flash in the pan (yes, there were some extenuating circumstances with him but it doesn't change the fact he wasn't elite).
Cheechoo was getting carried by Thornton. Who carried Jack through those 99 games?

We've seen numerous players over the years have outlier years thus why having the track record is important. Hell, Larkin this year has had a helluva start, doesn't make him elite, just a hot start.
How many 100 game stretches has Larkin had where he produced 60+ goals and 120+ points?

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

- 3rd in shots on goal
- 7th in points

I have nothing to add aside from the fact that I truly enjoy watching you fight the good fight on the main board🫡

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad