Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 5 -- Will he be a Sabre next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Last thread hit 1k

They talked about the state of the Eichel trade talks around the 20:00 mark.

EF is hearing that the ask is really big and that at least one team is ready to pull out of trade talks over concerns that Eichel not having had surgery yet will mean that he will miss part of the season recovering from surgery.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What do Buffalo fans think of Drysdale ?
Say Buffalo picks Eklund at #1, Beniers goes #2 to Seattle, Powers goes to Anaheim and suddenly the idea of trading Drysdale is there for Anaheim.
Its also a perfect fit because Dahlin/Drysdale top pairing is something to dream about. Dahlindale.
Unless Powers learns to play on his offside he'd be locked as 2nd pairing LD on Buffalo and in Anaheim Owen Power would take over the top LD spot eventually.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Say Buffalo picks Eklund at #1, Beniers goes #2 to Seattle, Powers goes to Anaheim and suddenly the idea of trading Drysdale is there for Anaheim.
Its also a perfect fit because Dahlin/Drysdale top pairing is something to dream about. Dahlindale.
Unless Powers learns to play on his offside he'd be locked as 2nd pairing LD on Buffalo and in Anaheim Owen Power would take over the top LD spot eventually.
Seems like most people in buffalo like drysdale, Anaheim fans are resistant to moving him though. The biggest issue is that buffalo fans want someone of drysdale's caliber plus other good pieces, where it seems like most Anaheim fans aren't looking to add much

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Why is Anaheim trading Drysdale when they can dream of Power-Drysdale as a pairing?

Reactions: Getz2noone

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Jack Eichel, Center, Buffalo Sabres

Backstory

In the interest of brevity, we won’t unpack all of Jack Eichel’s mostly disappointing run in Buffalo but suffice it to say that since the Sabres earned the consolation prize of the second pick in the Connor McDavid draft in 2015, Eichel and the Sabres have managed to play in zero playoff games. Eichel has played for three coaches in his short tenure in Buffalo and that number would be four had Eichel not been injured when Don Granato took over for Ralph Krueger midway through this season. The Buffalo captain is also on his third GM. Apart from the dismal organizational decisions that have helped make the Sabres a laughingstock, there is the ongoing dispute between Eichel and the Sabres over his treatment for a neck injury that limited him to 21 games this season. Last offseason, the first whispers regarding a possible trade emerged and now those whispers have turned into a full-throated scream. A number of sources we spoke to believe it’s not if but when Eichel is dealt.

Trade Degree of Difficulty (Scale of 1-10, 10 being most difficult)

Burnside: 5 — Eichel has zero trade protection so rookie GM Kevyn Adams controls when, where and if he trades his top player. Well, sort of. Eichel is under contract at $10 million annually for the next five years, which will limit trade options. And then there is the neck injury that cost Eichel half a season and which must be resolved before any deal is finalized. There is also the fact Adams doesn’t have to trade Eichel so he can ask for the moon (which is apparently the case) and if he doesn’t get it hope the relationship between player and team somehow repairs itself. But if sources are correct and both parties believe the only recourse in this marriage is annulment, well, the clock is ticking to what would be one of the biggest trades in recent NHL history.

Vogl: 6 — Normally, teams would be ringing Adams’ phone nonstop and lining up with their offers. But things are rarely normal in Sabreland, and this is no different. Eichel has wanted to schedule an artificial disk replacement since suffering a neck injury in March. The organization says the procedure has never been done on an NHL player and it has no desire for its captain to be the guinea pig. Certainly, the Sabres are not alone in that anti-surgery stance, which cuts down the trade partners before even getting to salary, fit and talent. But Eichel’s camp is convinced he’ll be fine just two months after the surgery. And when healthy, Eichel is that good. He finished eighth in Hart Trophy voting during his last full season and was a three-time All-Star before that. The right trade partner is waiting regardless of the neck concerns.

Possible Destinations

Burnside: Basically any team looking to add a top-flight center should be in this discussion, so think Minnesota, the Rangers, Los Angeles, Anaheim and Columbus to start with. With Vegas’ collapse against Montreal in the semifinals there is a lot of buzz that GM Kelly McCrimmon will try to address a deficiency down the middle and the team has assets that could be of interest to Buffalo starting with prospects like Cody Glass and Peyton Krebs and some solid young NHL-ready defenders like Nicolas Hague and Zach Whitecloud. Both Vegas and L.A. fit the bill for one longtime talent evaluator who feels Eichel needs to be around a strong veteran core. “Just sit the f*** down and behave and bring your ‘A’ game,” the longtime NHL scout said. “I wouldn’t want him driving the bus.”

Vogl: Eichel trade talk started during the 2020 offseason with the Rangers, and they’re still lingering. New York president and GM Chris Drury had the same agent as Eichel during his playing days, and they also share a Boston University connection. The Ducks can dangle the No. 3 pick while the Kings have the No. 8 selection and a group of prospects that makes Buffalo salivate. Vegas makes sense for all the reasons Scott mentioned. While there’s certainly a team conducting clandestine talks, it’d be a surprise if Eichel lands anywhere but the bright lights of New York, Southern California or Las Vegas.

What Needs To Come Back?

Burnside: So many holes to fill for the Sabres and with the potential that Adams may have to deal both Eichel and restricted free agent Sam Reinhart, who has been the team’s most consistent forward the past two seasons, there’s going to be a couple of gaping holes in an already slight lineup. Still, it does feel like the team isn’t trying to deal themselves into a ’22 playoff race with assets from an Eichel deal but rather collect assets that can grow with a new young core of Rasmus Dahlin, Dylan Cozens and Jack Quinn and so on. So, start with a first-round pick and then build from there with a top NHL-ready player or two and a collection of picks/prospects. The Sabres could even sweeten the deal by bringing on some salary.

Vogl: When Eichel leaves, the Sabres will need a new face of the franchise, someone who’ll get the beaten-down fan base excited. The first part of the trade has to include that energizing figure. It could be an elite prospect like the Kings’ Quinton Byfield. It could be a young, proven skater like the Flames’ Matthew Tkachuk. What it can’t be is a middling mix of Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka and Tage Thompson, which is what the Sabres got for Ryan O’Reilly in 2018. The Sabres aren’t winning next season. They might not win the year after that. But they want to be contenders by the time Dahlin and Cozens are 24 — which is Eichel’s age now — so getting a few more players in their age range is a must.

End Result

Burnside: Kings — Spoke to a longtime scout and executive who believes the Los Angeles Kings have coveted Eichel for a long time and it’s hard not to love the idea of Eichel growing into a star role in an important market behind iconic Kings players like Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty. Plus, the Kings have the assets and it gets Eichel out of the conference which is an added bonus for the Sabres.

Vogl: Kings — It’s always easy to find reasons why a trade won’t work. That’s certainly the case with the Kings. They’ve built a stable of young prospects who could put L.A. among the elite in a few years. Why toss away multiple pieces for one guy who may not be the same because of injury? Well, because it makes sense. Kopitar and Doughty might not have enough game left when those prospects mature. Bringing in Eichel improves the Kings immediately and lets them take advantage of their stars’ final good seasons.

Last edited:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
“Just sit the f*** down and behave and bring your ‘A’ game,” the longtime NHL scout said. “I wouldn’t want him driving the bus.”

That's quite a quote
On one hand there's probably some truth there. On the other, this very well could be one scout that's never interacted with him. Not to be too antiestablishment, but sometimes I think too much weight can be placed on the words of individuals around the league

Reactions: sabresEH

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
On one hand there's probably some truth there. On the other, this very well could be one scout that's never interacted with him. Not to be too antiestablishment, but sometimes I think too much weight can be placed on the words of individuals around the league

Actually that quote sounds right to me -- Eichel shouldn't be driving the bus, and will have much more success when he isn't.

Reactions: Jacob582

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Actually that quote sounds right to me -- Eichel shouldn't be driving the bus, and will have much more success when he isn't.

I don't think he's necessarily a crybaby or not a leader, but I agree that Jack would do best in a settled locker room and a city where everything he says or does isn't front-page news. Going to LA, where they have Kopi and Doughty, and a city where the Kings are, at best, the 4th most popular team in the city - and that's only because USC football isn't good right now, or it'd be lower - would be ideal for him, IMO.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
“Just sit the f*** down and behave and bring your ‘A’ game,” the longtime NHL scout said. “I wouldn’t want him driving the bus.”

That's quite a quote
This is why NHL scouts are the worst and least competent in all of pro sports. Short of McDavid who on Earth could've dragged this team to being competitive under the two least competent NHL coaches in living memory?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
This is why NHL scouts are the worst and least competent in all of pro sports. Short of McDavid who on Earth could've dragged this team to being competitive under the two least competent NHL coaches in living memory?

Michael Peca was never the most talented player on the roster, but almost everyone would have skated through a wall with that guy, even the Satan's and Audette's.

As skilled as Eichel is, he's never seem to be able to convince the rest of the team to come with him. Remember when he got into a scrap and they didn't even react? They needed a guy that would LEAD the room, not just be the best player in it.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
. Remember when he got into a scrap and they didn't even react? .

The number of times x happened and the Sabres didn't react makes me think it's a bigger issue with the players who aren't reacting.

I specifically remember someone getting into a fight inches from our bench this year and guys literally deadpan while this occurs. At a certain point that falls on the individuals, not the captain

Here it is. Not a full-fledged fight, but I could not believe how little everyone appears to care.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Why not Eichel to Seattle? What would that trade look like?

I have tossed that idea out there. 2OA and a couple players from the expansion draft. Short window to complete it before the draft. If teams like ANA or LAK were having conversations they would be told to make an offer the Sabres can't refuse if they want the trade completed before the expansion draft or they won't have a final answer until after the expansion draft.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Why not Eichel to Seattle? What would that trade look like?

I'd have to imagine it would be difficult to pull off. There likely won't be anyone like a Zegras or a Drysdale or maybe even a Turcotte available in the Expansion Draft. And that would make me want both this and next year's 1st from Seattle, which I have to think they're hesitant to unload. At any rate in that case we'd have to wait to see the lists from everyone before committing to a trade with Seattle so they can pick what players they want taken.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have tossed that idea out there. 2OA and a couple players from the expansion draft. Short window to complete it before the draft. If teams like ANA or LAK were having conversations they would be told to make an offer the Sabres can't refuse if they want the trade completed before the expansion draft or they won't have a final answer until after the expansion draft.

Adams could start talking to Francis now about the general parameters for a deal.

The +s to a Seattle trade is that it could help the Sabres on D and in goal for next season and you can take both Power & Beniers in that scenario.

The downside is that Seattle doesn't have a lot of futures to include in a deal. If they were willing to put their '22 1st on the table...

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018

I don’t think the scout is saying Eichel should have been able to drag the team to competitiveness by being a better leader. I think he is saying, in a less than eloquent manner, that Eichel would be a better fit on a team where leadership is not required of him.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The number of times x happened and the Sabres didn't react makes me think it's a bigger issue with the players who aren't reacting.

I specifically remember someone getting into a fight inches from our bench this year and guys literally deadpan while this occurs. At a certain point that falls on the individuals, not the captain

Here it is. Not a full-fledged fight, but I could not believe how little everyone appears to care.

It's part someone waiting for someone else to stand up, and part who we target as players for drafting, free agency, and trades as a team. If you're not going to have that tenacity in your top skilled players, you better find players that will more than makeup for it. And that's where Buffalo began to go downhill quickly.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Michael Peca was never the most talented player on the roster, but almost everyone would have skated through a wall with that guy, even the Satan's and Audette's.

As skilled as Eichel is, he's never seem to be able to convince the rest of the team to come with him. Remember when he got into a scrap and they didn't even react? They needed a guy that would LEAD the room, not just be the best player in it.
He's one of my all time faves but let's be honest: If it wasn't for the wall in our net those teams would've been pretty dire.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad