News: Jack Eichel not happy in Buffalo [JACK EICHEL MEGATHREAD] Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Either way you slice it, would expect Buffalo would want a top centre coming back. Especially if reinhart is being roped into the same deal (which seems far fetched).

Is Buffalo wanting to rebuild (again)? Or want a tangible player(s) that can instantly be injected into the lineup? That would be key in knowing as it changes what team can offer these things.

Good question. If I had to guess, they probably want prospects. Management talks up their young players and players that "want to be here." Good players in their prime aren't really going to want to be here.

Reactions: TML1990

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What would need to be added? And why?
I think we won't need Monahan because basically picks and prospects return.

Also, I don't understand why St. Louis is needed at all in the deal? Why then not just trade Tkachuk+ for Eichel?

Last edited:
Reactions: go4hockey

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Good question. If I had to guess, they probably want prospects. Management talks up their young players and players that "want to be here." Good players in their prime aren't really going to want to be here.
So keep rebuilding until you have a good enough core where the players are fine to stay-put (longer term)?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
So keep rebuilding until you have a good enough core where the players are fine to stay-put (longer term)?

With the elite talent at the top of the next two drafts, I'd assume so. I'm not sure if thats the route I'd go but it is a plan at least.

Whether they hire a proven winner like Boudreau or a rookie head coach will be telling. The best thing about Granato was that he is willing to play the kids through their mistakes.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
With the elite talent at the top of the next two drafts, I'd assume so. I'm not sure if thats the route I'd go but it is a plan at least.

Whether they hire a proven winner like Boudreau or a rookie head coach will be telling. The best thing about Granato was that he is willing to play the kids through their mistakes.
Failing for magic draft picks has worked out so well for our organization so of course that's what they are going to do. The culture of not just tolerating failure but outright expecting and accepting it is why they are the armpit of the entire sport.

Reactions: Joey Banana

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
Whats your other option besides betting on futures?

There is plenty of young top talent thats already proven NHL level and lots of bubble teams looking for a game changer.

Eichel is worth enough to bring back one or even 2 top young talents. Don't waste him on picks, use Risto and Reino for more shots at the 2022 lottery.

Going full rebluld isn't necessarily a worse option though, just not the only one.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
There is plenty of young top talent thats already proven NHL level and lots of bubble teams looking for a game changer.

Eichel is worth enough to bring back one or even 2 top young talents. Don't waste him on picks, use Risto and Reino for more shots at the 2022 lottery.

Going full rebluld isn't necessarily a worse option though, just not the only one.

I disagree.. If we trade Eichel we have to strip everything and start over, So get as many picks and prospects Eichel,Sam and Risto can bring in and start there..

Ledge And Dairy

Define 2 top young talents

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
I disagree.. If we trade Eichel we have to strip everything and start over, So get as many picks and prospects Eichel,Sam and Risto can bring in and start there..

I just don't see why we HAVE to gamble on futures when Eichel can return one (or maybe 2) 19-22 year old(s) that have already proven themselves in the NHL and still got lots of potential to grow.

Define 2 top young talents

A first line winger and a #2C for example.

Last edited:

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
Nobody is giving you that

Eh i'm sure there's at least one GM out there willing to overpay for Eichel.

But really, i'm realistically expecting 1 such player, not 2. There's a reason i qualfied it with 'even' and 'maybe'.

Sorta missing the point here. It's about whether trading Eichel for just prospects and picks is the only viable option when selling him for 1 (or 2) proven future core pieces and prospects/picks is also possible.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think any JE trade has to be for proven young talent and not picks or prospects.

Trading him alone will almost certainly result in lottery contention si no need to add picks or prospects.

I'm not sure, but the last thing Buffalo needs is another very obvious full on tank rebuild. If they do, you can kiss any hope of a return to revelance away for a long long time.

The fans deserve better in my opinion

Reactions: CLW and Joey Banana

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think we won't need Monahan because basically picks and prospects return.

Also, I don't understand why St. Louis is needed at all in the deal? Why then not just trade Tkachuk+ for Eichel?

It was merely a fear of Tkachuk not re-signing in Buffalo. If you want to take the risk of him leaving in two years, then by all means don’t do the deal with St. Louis. I was just finding a team that he would have a high chance of being able to take Tkachuk long term.

Ledge And Dairy

Eh i'm sure there's at least one GM out there willing to overpay for Eichel.

But really, i'm realistically expecting 1 such player, not 2. There's a reason i qualfied it with 'even' and 'maybe'.

Sorta missing the point here. It's about whether trading Eichel for just prospects and picks is the only viable option when selling him for 1 (or 2) proven future core pieces and prospects/picks is also possible.
Buffalo has a loosers mentality image built around their team of core players. That cant be fixed by band-aiding with 2 NHL players that will be there 2-3 years max. They need to do what Ottawa did and completely erase that image

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well you definitely overpaid from Calgary's perspective.
Lets say Tkachuk + Pelletier + 12OA = Eichel (because no one is beating that offer), how does Monahan + 2nd = Olofsson?

Maybe it’s overpaying, but I want to ensure that the Flames get Eichel and Olofsson. Then we could have a top 6 of Gaudreau - Eichel - Mangiapane and Dube - Lindholm - Olofsson.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Is it possible Jack Eichel is just a wee bit over-rated, in general?

He averages 77 points per 82 games, which is good if not mind-blowing. He's a minus 69 at even strength. He's a high-volume shooter, I guess, but a 10.5% isn't real great. He (barely) has one 10th-place finish in scoring, and has never been top-10 in points per game.

Obviously, he's a potential star player and an NHL 1st-liner. But I don't see him as a top-10 forward.

Reactions: Confucius
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad