McKenzie: Jack Eichel has not requested a trade from Buffalo. NYR amongst interested teams who have called tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
People can read into Mckenzie's tweets however they choose, but to me it doesnt look like there's anything there we didn't already know. Eichel's frustrated with losing (we've already heard this). It hasn't gotten to the point where he's demanded a trade. Buffalo isn't shopping him (obviously). Teams have shown interest in him (no shit, who isn't interested in a star player in his prime). Not a whole lot to really fuel the trade rumors, but if people want to daydream let them have their fun. Just understand the Sabres as of now are far from being painted in a corner with Eichel. If you want him the deal is going to have to be an absolute haul to even get the conversation started. Kakko as a centerpiece with lesser pieces included won't do it (and for Christ's sake please stop including ADA in deals, Buffalo has no use for him). Late 1sts piled on top of good not great roster players won't do it. You want to take a run at a franchise player take your teams best 3 or 4 assets and be prepared to lose at least 2 of them and more.

You are right. We can all read these tweets how we want. None of us actually know. I'll ask you this though. Can you remember an instance where McKenzie put something like this into the public stream without there being some validity to it? I can't. And if he has, it's not something he does frequently. This is a guy who claims to be retired, and he's returning from his retirement to drop this nugget. He's also the best insider in the sport. When he says something, we can be pretty sure there's truth to it.

I don't think saying there's nothing to see here is the conclusion we should take from all of this.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Listen, maybe I'll be wrong in the end if he's moved, but I highly doubt the NYR get him in exchange for Lafreniere and Kakko IF a deal goes down. And those guys I offered aren't C level guys lol.

Reactions: bleedblue94

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
"A player has not requested a trade. STOP THE PRESSES!!!" How is this a story? Was McKenzie's "retirement" maybe something of a forced retirement situation? Maybe because of a touch of dementia or something?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let us emphasize point 1. Eichel has never requested a trade. The most he has ever done that anyone is aware of is express frustration over losing, something that any competitive person would do in his situation.

Don't you see how these two things are potentially contradictory?

None of us actually know what's going on privately. Publicly the player and team claim he hasn't requested a trade.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That'll be up to Eichel. Like it or not, a star player whose the captain calls the shots. Thats the way pro sports works. The athletes have a lot of power.

He might give the GM a shot to get better or he might not. My read on this nugget from McKenzie is that this is an ultimatum from Eichel to Adams. Get better immediately or trade me.
What in the flying f*** do you think he did in acquiring a legit #2 center who has a decent shot of ending up in the HHOF? Seriously.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Don't you see how these two things are potentially contradictory?

None of us actually know what's going on privately. Publicly the player and team claim he hasn't requested a trade.

I would, if they actually were. It's fine to speculate on trade value if you want, but you have absolutely no proof, at all, that he requested a trade, even informally.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree if he demands a trade, he'll very likely be traded and wasn't saying he wouldn't be traded at all. I disagree he'll be able to dictate where he gets traded to, as you alluded to, until his NMC kicks in.

Buffalo would take the best offer and preferable send him out west if they can, but in the end, they'll take the best offer. If that best offer coincides with somewhere Jack wants to go, then fine. If not, so be it.

Sabres aren't going to take a worse offer just to send Eichel to somewhere he prefers after he's demanded a trade.

Here's the thing.

I don't see this as being especially contentious. If Eichel goes to the GM and asks for a trade, I think they work with him to find a trade. I don't after he requests a trade the GM then tells him to go screw himself and he'll alert him where and when he's traded. Why should it be contentious? If a star player and your captain, whose carried a team for years that you've failed to properly support, asks for a trade, you should accept that you were the reason he asked for the trade. You should try to make the departure as easy for everyone as possible, and then get on with it. It would look awful for Buffalo to try to defy Eichel, if he requested a trade.

If/When Eichel gives a list of teams he'll accept a trade to, it'll probably be a list with 5-10 teams, but then the GM goes investigating a trade, and finds that half of them a trade won't work with. That narrows it down to a few teams a trade could work with. I'm not suggesting Eichel will go to my team for pennies. I never did so. What I am saying is that I don't think Buffalo has the leverage their fans here act as if they do. I think the realistic trade options will be down to a few teams. Even if Eichel hasn't formally requested a trade, there's still pressure on Buffalo. I don't know how someone could possibly read this situation as there's nothing to see here. If he's not yet about to be gone, it's getting awfully close to the time where Buffalo better good get immediately or he will be gone.

I think something people are ignoring here is what Friedman said. He said the Eichel trade rumors are something to monitor. Thats the two biggest insiders in the sport in the last day suggesting Eichel could be traded at some point in the near future.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Sabres have some nice young pieces beyond the big guns, namely Cozens, that can help them turn into a competitive team in a year or two. Eventually, things will come together. If Eichel gets impatient, that group is salvageable with a good center coming back the other way. It might not be a future Stanley Cup contender, but not every organization is solely focused on building that or bust.

Zibanejad is a UFA in two years. I'm sure he's going to want to play for Buffalo.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
His NMC doesn't kick in untill June 2022 so he'd have no say if we decided to trade him anywhere (which we absolutely aren't).

Star players get their way in sports nowadays. It sucks that the players have that much power, but they do. And what sense does it actually ever make for a team to keep a disgruntled star?

What in the flying f*** do you think he did in acquiring a legit #2 center who has a decent shot of ending up in the HHOF? Seriously.

Okay, so we'll see how this goes. I personally don't think the difference between the Sabres last season and being at minimum a playoff team next season is Eric Staal. I also didn't say he'll be traded immediately. I think this could drag out into next offseason or the deadline of this upcoming season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's 23 and elite as they come can you name me a center that was traded of his nature? ..

I'll wait

Joe Thornton.

Karlsson was traded. Pronger was traded. Then there have been lesser players like Stone and McDonagh.

The returns are always less than fans of the team trading the player think they should get.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would, if they actually were. It's fine to speculate on trade value if you want, but you have absolutely no proof, at all, that he requested a trade, even informally.

You are being disingenuous. This is not just speculating on trade value. The most reliable insider in hockey came out of retirement to drop a nugget about Eichel trade rumors.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Here's the thing.

I don't see this as being especially contentious. If Eichel goes to the GM and asks for a trade, I think they work with him to find a trade. I don't after he requests a trade the GM then tells him to go screw himself and he'll alert him where and when he's traded. Why should it be contentious? If a star player and your captain, whose carried a team for years that you've failed to properly support, asks for a trade, you should accept that you were the reason he asked for the trade. You should try to make the departure as easy for everyone as possible, and then get on with it. It would look awful for Buffalo to try to defy Eichel, if he requested a trade.[

If/When Eichel gives a list of teams he'll accept a trade to, it'll probably be a list with 5-10 teams, but then the GM goes investigating a trade, and finds that half of them a trade won't work with. That narrows it down to a few teams a trade could work with. I'm not suggesting Eichel will go to my team for pennies. I never did so. What I am saying is that I don't think Buffalo has the leverage their fans here act as if they do. I think the realistic trade options will be down to a few teams. Even if Eichel hasn't formally requested a trade, there's still pressure on Buffalo. I don't know how someone could possibly read this situation as there's nothing to see here. If he's not yet about to be gone, it's getting awfully close to the time where Buffalo better good get immediately or he will be gone.

I think something people are ignoring here is what Friedman said. He said the Eichel trade rumors are something to monitor. Thats the two biggest insiders in the sport in the last day suggesting Eichel could be traded at some point in the near future.

I think you are reading more into my words than I stated. I don't see it as contentious, I see it as business. I'm not saying they'll go say "screw you", but they also aren't going to bend over to make him happy either. Just like buyouts, contract negotiations, etc...

Like I said, if the best deal is with a team that Eichel prefers, then they'll take it. I'm not saying it will be contentious, but it's a business and the team will do what's best for them, not what's best for Eichel. Once Eichel has a NMC, he's certainly not going to do what's best for the Sabres, he's going to do what's best for him. Players have shown that time and time again. Like I said, a business.

If Jack gives a list of 10 teams, and a team outside that list of 10 gives them a better offer than one of those 10 teams, the GM will trade him to that team. A GM is foolish not to.

Depending on what the Sabres are looking for, the NYR may be the best suited to give the best offer and if the Sabres trade him, then they are a strong candidate. But if another team offers better, they aren't going to send him to the Rangers to make him happy by forgoing a better offer IMO.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You are being disingenuous. This is not just speculating on trade value. The most reliable insider in hockey came out of retirement to drop a nugget about Eichel trade rumors.

Right and people are speculating about something that could happen in a year or two or 3...which makes no sense. So if you want him right now you better bring your best offers..not chytils, ADA and pick #22.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Joe Thornton.

Karlsson was traded. Pronger was traded. Then there have been lesser players like Stone and McDonagh.

The returns are always less than fans of the team trading the player think they should get.

Those players have zero to do with jack Compare the age and get back to me lol..

And Joe was traded in 2005 guy

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The problem for Vegas is Eichel almost assuredly isn't going to be moved this offseason as Buffalo has already paid him 7.5m in SB. If Petro signs in Vegas they are pretty much out on any Eichel deal next year.

Now if Buffalo were willing to do a deal in the next week I would be fine with Karlsson+Marchessault+Glass/Krebs+Hague+1sts.

Even with Pietrangelo they should make a big push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad