Value of: Jack Eichel and the Buffalo Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
These offers are absurd. If the words "this/these prospects" are untouchable are featured ANYWHERE in your post, you don't really want Jack Eichel. There are probably 20+ teams who should drive their current #1 center AND their top prospect or every single one of their top prospects to the airport right now if Eichel is actually available.

Offer something of real, painful value first and then figure out the makeweights to even salary. If your post features a starting point of:

"We can't really afford him but here's my offer..."
"I'm concerned about Eichel's attitude but here's my offer..."
"Here's a package of 5 random "things" and picks...I hope this works..."

You have failed to meet a minimum threshold.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Impossible to move him even if he wants to. Rebuilding teams won't have any incentives. No contending team has room / required assets to acquire him... BOS could be a nice lending place to replace and improve Krejci and Bergeron not getting any younger, or CBJ with Eichel + Laine but I don't think they have anything of value for a BUF rebuild, I don't see NJD trading Smith/Hughes +++
Rangers?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The issue is Montreal is right against the cap. If we send:

Suzuki - 900k
Byron - 3.4M
Kulak - 1.85M
+ salary
+ prospects

We are still short 3.85M and we still have to replace the players going out (Byron & Kulak) with min $ league players, so we’re ~5.25M short + whatever other roster player we have to replace to make the $ work. I just can’t see it happening - Although I would have loved to make such a deal.

In reality, it would have been MUCH easier to pull off if we didn’t bought out Alzner last summer.
I don't even know, maybe you add some player with a big salary and it might work. I do not follow Montreal, so I don’t know which players are not too valuable for you and they are easy to replace or you are ready to trade them for futures. Maybe Tatar, Chiarot, Edmundson or someone like that.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
In reality there's no Eichel trade that will make Buffalo a better team. He is a young elite 1C and he just needs the right pieces around him. Sure you can ship him for more picks/prospects but then you'd just hope to draft a guy as good as him (which is extremely unlikely) or a package of lesser assets which very rarely works out (see O'Reilly trade). To me the D core just needs to be completely revamped. Ristolainen and Montour being ur top-TOI dmen is just soooo bad there's no way around it. Put Mackinnon or Matthews there and watch them miss the playoffs with that god awful defense.

Keep Dahlin and legit ship out every other dman with value (Risto, Montour, McCabe, Miller if there's a taker, even Jokiharju). Get all the value back you possibly can, save 12+ mil in cap space, and target 2 legit top-4D. No need to completely start over after just getting ur franchise 1C, just gotta take drastic steps to build around him. Offensively there are good pieces, defensively there's maybe 2 guys worth keeping. Focus all the effort on that before considering starting from scratch again, which would lead to another 5+ years of turmoil without a young star to at least entertain you.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I believe when any proposals for Eichel are submitted, one word must be accepted within the proposal, pain.

Eichel isn't going the way of the O'Reilly situation. That much is assured. It will be painful to acquire him.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
"it is well known that Eichel may be looking to get out if we miss again" What does that even mean? It sounds like speculation.

Just because the team is bad now and there are bad contracts does not mean you need to trade your Franchise player. The returns on this type of player never work out and if you don't think the Sabres are fun to watch now wait until Casey Mittlestadt is your number one C.

Hey if you guys want to destroy your clubs future go for it (as if we had an influence :P), I won't mind at all. I will say though looking for a #1C is not a fun sport. It takes forever and you won't get another as good as him this decade short of a miracle. Some players you don't trade, Eichel is one of them IMO.

1. It means everybody knows Jack is unhappy with the losing and while it's speculation right now, I'll bet I won't be the only one not floored at all at the end of another dismal season if Jack requests a trade. Everybody knows there is more potential for Jack than any other superstar in the NHL to be asking for a trade at the end of the season. Don't be obtuse.

2. The team has been bad for ten years. Eichel has been here for half that time. This group has learned to lose together and guess what, I don't think it can get much worst than it is right now. Please spare me the, "The Sabres can't trade Eichel because they'll be too much of an embarrassment if they do. Are you a fan of the Sabres and do you watch the games? Eichel looks disinterested. Anyone who is watching the games right now knows how ridiculous a take this is.

3. In a vacuum you don't trade Eichel. When you have a series of factors that weighing down the orgnizatoin and many obstacles to success within the time frame of Eichel's current deal (Skinner contract being #1), it is more than prudent to explore this possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
No team can trade for him, would need to be 1C++ and there are only few centers better than him in the league, anything else and Sabres would just create a harder roster spot to fill at 1C no matter what they would get in return.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi, Dumba, and a 2021 1st. An expiring contract, like Bonino would be included to make the cap work.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
1. It means everybody knows Jack is unhappy with the losing and while it's speculation right now, I'll bet I won't be the only one not floored at all at the end of another dismal season if Jack requests a trade. Everybody knows there is more potential for Jack than any other superstar in the NHL to be asking for a trade at the end of the season. Don't be obtuse.

2. The team has been bad for ten years. Eichel has been here for half that time. This group has learned to lose together and guess what, I don't think it can get much worst than it is right now. Please spare me the, "The Sabres can't trade Eichel because they'll be too much of an embarrassment if they do. This is a ridiculous take.

3. In a vacuum you don't trade Eichel. When you have a series of factors that weighing down the orgnizatoin and many obstacles to success within the time frame of Eichel's current deal (Skinner contract being #1), it is more than prudent to explore this possibility.

I'm stating an opinion though it is probably the majority one. Any team with 9 UFA's coming up has ample opportunity to reshape the roster. I have no horse in this race, if Buffalo trades Eichel I will enjoy laughing at them and then we'll wait to see where Dahlin goes after.

I will say a good goalie would make this team look a lot better.

Reactions: brian_griffin

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I'm stating an opinion though it is probably the majority one. Any team with 9 UFA's coming up has ample opportunity to reshape the roster. I have no horse in this race, if Buffalo trades Eichel I will enjoy laughing at them and then we'll wait to see where Dahlin goes after.

I will say a good goalie would make this team look a lot better.
Sabres have $35 million in cap space going into next season and 8 players under contract. They need to add 14-15 players this off-season to the big club. $15 million tied up in two forwards that add virtually nothing to the team. Not a great situation.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
If Ottawa finishes last this year, I'd trade our first+ for Eichel.
No chance Eichel would accept a trade to Ottawa. I believe Eichel would only go to a bigger market or to a contender. I think the Rangers would be the most likely destitnation. Even if they aren't a contender, Eichel would probably jump at the chance to play in NYC, especailly with the FA potential the Rangers have to help build a contender quickly.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Sabres have $35 million in cap space going into next season and 8 players under contract. They need to add 14-15 players this off-season to the big club. $15 million tied up in two forwards that add virtually nothing to the team. Not a great situation.
I've said my piece. If you guy want to rebuild I'm not going to protest but you are looking and creating the same mess for Dahlin. At least he has Eichel to shield him.

Reactions: The Red Helmet

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Instead of trading Eichel, what about a trade involving Jones or Werenski involving Cozens and a Ristolainen or Dahlin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad