Value of: Jack Eichel and the Buffalo Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
The Sabres need a proper rebuild, not a tanking rebuild. Jack Eichel clearly doesn't want to be in Buffalo and is nearing the Tavares/NYI comparison.

NYI hired a great coach and got better without Tavares.

This thread is to see proposals for Jack Eichel and any other Sabres:

Available:
Jack Eichel
Jeff Skinner
Kyle Okposo
Sam Reinhart
Tage Thompson
Casey Mittelstadt
Colin Miller

UFA
Brandon Montour
Taylor Hall
Eric Staal
Jake McCabe
Carter Hutton/Linus Ullmark

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Would something along the lines of Horvat, Miller, and a B prospect for Eichel be roughly equivalent? I expect maybe not, but what do you think?

Edit - just for fun. This doesn't address Vancouver needs at all, but rather re-aligns the age of the core a bit better. The Canucks still desperately need some up and coming d-men.

But we're all here for fun. Sometimes?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Sabres need a proper rebuild, not a tanking rebuild. Jack Eichel clearly doesn't want to be in Buffalo and is nearing the Tavares/NYI comparison.

NYI hired a great coach and got better without Tavares.

This thread is to see proposals for Jack Eichel and any other Sabres:

Available:
Jack Eichel
Jeff Skinner
Kyle Okposo
Sam Reinhart
Tage Thompson
Casey Mittelstadt
Colin Miller

UFA
Brandon Montour
Taylor Hall
Eric Staal
Jake McCabe
Carter Hutton/Linus Ullmark

What do you want for Staal from FLA?
Or is he staying in BUF for the year?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I would love Jack on the Habs and would definitely pay Kotkaniemi+ or Suzuki+ for him but there’s just no possible way to make the cap $$ work.

That’s too bad.

Maybe a 1st+ at the deadline for Hall would be more realistic?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
An apology from the Marlins for beating the Indians/Spiders/Baseball Team back in 1997 to me, to start.

I is a Blue Jays fan but screw those Marlins.

What do you think Adams does in the next couple months?

1) Sit on his hands and review who to keep/move?
2) Make a small shock trade to try and jump start them?
3) Start moving UFAs to be by mid March?
4) Add to the roster to chase playoffs?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The odds of Buffalo getting a talent like Eichel again in the near future are slim. As fun as the Ops idea of destroying the Sabres once and for all is I doubt many Sabre fans are on board with this. You don't trade Elite #1 Cs just for fun.
The problem is that he plays like he wants to get out of here, maybe he also wanted to do it secretly before the start of the season. The coach is the same, some good players were acquired in the offseason, but Jack plays almost like PLD in recent games for Columbus. Of course we probably won't get the same elite part in the deal, but maybe we can get 2-3 good parts and build around it.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The problem is that he plays like he wants to get out of here, maybe he also wanted to do it secretly before the start of the season. The coach is the same, some good players were acquired in the offseason, but Jack plays almost like PLD in recent games for Columbus. Of course we probably won't get the same elite part in the deal, but maybe we can get 2-3 good parts and build around it.

If he doesn't wanna play in Buffalo, where does he wanna play then?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I would love Jack on the Habs and would definitely pay Kotkaniemi+ or Suzuki+ for him but there’s just no possible way to make the cap $$ work.

That’s too bad.

Maybe a 1st+ at the deadline for Hall would be more realistic?
Suzuki+ could work, but we need another good prospect for the base, you have a lot of players like Byron, Armia, Kulak, maybe someone else to make the cap work.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Impossible to move him even if he wants to. Rebuilding teams won't have any incentives. No contending team has room / required assets to acquire him... BOS could be a nice lending place to replace and improve Krejci and Bergeron not getting any younger, or CBJ with Eichel + Laine but I don't think they have anything of value for a BUF rebuild, I don't see NJD trading Smith/Hughes +++

Reactions: Fastasaurus

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If he doesn't wanna play in Buffalo, where does he wanna play then?
I don't know, maybe there is a chance to win, because the owners of Buffalo do everything so that the Sabers simply do not have this.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
"playing like he wants out of here" is a subjective statement.

Losing takes a toll. I'm not going to claim to know why his production is down, maybe he's playing hurt, maybe he is uninspired. Do you trade a guy because of that without asking him if he wants to be there? He's still a point a game and he's only played 12. Seem like a bit of an overreaction.

You remind me of Leaf fans right now. Many are panicking and we have trade proposals for everyone but Marner and Matthews and threads talking about stripping JT of the C because we lost 2 games. I'd relax.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
"playing like he wants out of here" is a subjective statement.

Losing takes a toll. I'm not going to claim to know why his production is down, maybe he's playing hurt, maybe he is uninspired. Do you trade a guy because of that without asking him if he wants to be there? He's still a point a game and he's only played 12. Seem like a bit of an overreaction.

You remind me of Leaf fans right now. Many are panicking and we have trade proposals for everyone but Marner and Matthews and threads talking about stripping JT of the C because we lost 2 games. I'd relax.
I don't know the reason why he plays like that, although the whole team plays poorly, especially the leaders in attack. Of course, I would have fired the coach first, rather than trade Eichel, but these owners don't do that kind of thing, they usually do the opposite.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I don't know the reason why he plays like that, although the whole team plays poorly, especially the leaders in attack. Of course, I would have fired the coach first, rather than trade Eichel, but these owners don't do that kind of thing, they usually do the opposite.
I do understand your frustration. I look at Eichel, Hall, Skinner and Dahlin and I see what should be a fine powerplay on paper. It seems like you guys can't catch a break but the good news is when you do it will probably come in a cluster with several good breaks.

As long as you have Eichel and Dahlin you have the key core pieces. I wouldn't touch those. Everyone else though should be fair game. you should get a decent haul from Hall.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If this thread were started last summer, the Avs might have been in the mix. But things are different now. Byram is too valuable to trade. And something with Newhook +++ wouldn’t be enough.

I think Carolina or Florida might be good trade partners.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

In addition to what I mentioned before, I don't think the ownership wants a O'Reilly trade v2 so it makes any Eichel trade even less likely. Just for fun as MTL : KK + Byron + Tatar + Chiarot + 1st 21 + 1st 22 (you can most likely turn Tatar into an additional 1st at TDL, Byron + Chiarot for cap reasons)

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I posted this in the Staal thread but I'll post it here too. My reasoning for why the Sabres should explore a Eichel trade. If you disagree please refute what I say, instead of just saying trading a 24 year old star center is stupid, which seems to be the extent of thinking abilities that some on this board are limited by.

This is my original post in the Staal thread:

This team isn't going to the playoffs anytime soon. Eichel wants to play for a cup contender, not a playoff contender. Skinner's contract, among other challenges makes it extremely unlikely that this team will contend for a cup under Eichel's current deal. By the time we are able to do something about Skinner's contract, Eichel will be looking for the door and even if we do make the playoffs a couple of times, it won't make a difference to Eichel.

The Sabres have 5 seasons of Eichel after this one. How far away are we from the playoffs let alone the cup? Do you think there is any chance Eichel is hanging around if we are not serious Stanley Cup contenders at the end of that contract? He may want to leave even if we are. IMO, we f***ed up the timline so bad with terrible trades and contracts, that the most likey way for the Sabres to have sustained future success, is to rebuild with an Eichel trade as the signiture move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad