Prospect Info: Jack Eichel (2015, 2nd) – '15-16: Buffalo #15 (NHL) – Part 1: And so it begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Feel it as well. I'm hoping its more confidence and a huge jump in level more than who he is. Without knowing him personally it's hard to tell.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
His leadership style may turn out to be like Joe Sakics...very quiet and reserved even though you know the kid will do anything to win.

The Sedins are like that in Van too...not a lot of emotion on the ice.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This is going to go over like a fart in church but here it goes. Eichel scares me.

I was a huge Eichel supporter at the draft. I wrote many posts arguing on Eichels behalf. I believed Eichel was going to be a beast, and he is, sometimes.

Here's my thing. I see some black flags in his game. I see him quit when he gets frustrated, I see him not get involved in the game, alot. I see Reinhart with half the talent, play twice as hard and with twice the heart.

So now I'm worried he's going to be a Vanek type guy with more pure skill. A guy who every now and then shows a glimpse of greatness followed by tons of frustration. I'm wondering if it was pure talent that made him so great in college. But this is the NHL. Talent alone will get you somewhere. But I don't see the drive. I don't see the battle in his game. I see skill don't get me wrong, but I want more.

So am I wrong to feel this way? I also want to say this has nothing to do with McDavids crap goal in overtime the other night. I talk hockey with family and friends constantly, and I've been saying this same thing to them for the last 2 months. I know he's young and over cautious, I get that. And I don't expect him to play like Kaleta. But he has enough games to where he should be in the mix and battle along the boards, throw his shoulder into someone, fight for space in front of the net and just be a little tougher to play against.

Ok I'm done for now

I'm a big fan of Eichel's but, no, you're not wrong at all. I've seen him play live twice since January and both times I watched the same thing you are describing in person. I've noticed it while watching the Sabres play on TV as well, but it's even more noticeable in person.

There's a chance he is still getting used to the NHL grind and is trying to pace himself. He's never played a full 82 games at NHL tempo.

And, I'll put a positive spin on his "frustration" - to me that means he expects himself to be the absolute best on the ice when he's out there. And as he matures he'll continue to push himself to achieve that. The fact that he's producing the way he is... while having "lost shifts" is pretty darn remarkable at 19. Outside of McDavid, I'm sure he's putting a ton of pressure on himself to carry the franchise... more so than other rookies like Larkin, Panarin, etc.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
100 points next year wouldn't shock me, not saying it's gonna happen.

Oh, 100 points would absolutely be shocking... borderline miraculous. It would shock me if Connor McDavid sniffed 100 next year and he has a better chance (and better supporting cast) to do it.

75 points wouldn't shock me for Eichel next year, which would be a healthy leap as a sophomore... assuming he will probably end up around 53-56 this season as rook.

There's one player out of hundreds that will reach 100 this season; last season the Art Ross winner had a whopping 87. Eichel won't come close to 100 for another 3 years at least, if we're being realistic.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Eichel might as well play on the 4th line. He is a quitter and didn't help us in getting a point today. God damn rookies.

Do you really think anyone is suggesting that? Or are you using hyperbole just for effect? ;)

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I wouldn't call it a lack of drive. Jack seems to hesitate when the play doesn't happen as he expected, like he pauses to reconsider or something. Frustrating, I admit.

I'm quite pleased with his progression this season. He strikes me as a student of the game whose decision making and situation recognition will improve significantly with game experience. Those flashes of brilliance we enjoy will become routine, and those moments of indecisiveness will disappear.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
100 points next year wouldn't shock me, not saying it's gonna happen.

If I had to peg him at a number, honestly, 75 would be my number. With a year of experience and hopefully an improvement in his linemates he should be able to reach it.

If he doesn't, oh well.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Question, Drouin has better advanced stats then any of our young players. Why don't you like him?

Because he pumped those stats with an early season run with Stamkos.

I've never liked 1 dimensional/flash players like Drouin.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Because he pumped those stats with an early season run with Stamkos.

I've never liked 1 dimensional/flash players like Drouin.

At least he is a guy that could end up on Eichel's wing.

There are a few guys on that list that I can in no way envision playing with Eichel. At least Drouin is reasonable to expect.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
At least he is a guy that could end up on Eichel's wing.

There are a few guys on that list that I can in no way envision playing with Eichel. At least Drouin is reasonable to expect.

sure... and that line would be a tire fire defensively (but we could live with it if they were dominating offensive opportunities and we had 2 lines that could play big defensive roles in a ROR/Reinhart line and a Girgs/Larsson line.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
sure... and that line would be a tire fire defensively (but we could live with it if they were dominating offensive opportunities and we had 2 lines that could play big defensive roles in a ROR/Reinhart line and a Girgs/Larsson line.

Kane-ROR-Reinhart
Girgensons-Eichel-Drouin
Foligno-Larsson-Gio

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Kane-ROR-Reinhart
Girgensons-Eichel-Drouin
Foligno-Larsson-Gio

Change

XXXX-ROR-Reinhart
Girgensons-Eichel-Drouin
Kane-Larsson-Gio

Kane simply destroys possession/pressure too often, to put him on a line with ROReinhart. He's negate their strongest offensive attributes.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Change

XXXX-ROR-Reinhart
Girgensons-Eichel-Drouin
Kane-Larsson-Gio

Kane simply destroys possession/pressure too often, to put him on a line with ROReinhart. He's negate their strongest offensive attributes.

How well would "good" Foligno slot next to ROR and Reinhart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad