Player Discussion Jack Eichel – Part 2: Jack is Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Jack does skate the puck into the zone by himself often. A whole lot of the time on the PP. We're in a dump and chase system though. So when he does at even strength, he's by himself a whole lot.

Exactly. These numbers aren't eye popping by any means we can see this via eye test...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
PTrXTqT.png

makes me sad and angry - the kid is an elite talent and he's getting no respect compared to his peer group, see the thread on the main board.

he needs a chance to play with O'Reilly. I think overall in the season and a half he's been here Girgensons meshes well with him and I seem to recall at some point last season Ennis?

then there's what we saw at the WCH where we have to admit he really didn't fit in with any linemates McLellan tried him with.

I used to coach 11-12 year old house league teams, he and the sabres kind of remind me of those teams - there'd be one kid, a center, far better than the rest, kids who could play and have played travel team hockey but have chosen to play house league because of the lesser commitment. then there are a couple other kids playing forward who are pretty good and one dman who is very good, the rest are your basic average kids and some kids who are just unathletic pylons trudging around. The #1 kid would get the puck in his own end and more times than not go up the gut of the ice and deke out some stiffs and get in on the goalie, a puck hog, understandably, the only time that kid thought about passing was on a 2 on 1 and usually when he did put a nice pass on the stick of one of his wingers a feeble shot or some crappy attempt to deke the goalie ensued. Jack is that kid on this team, I think he's caught in no man's land a lot of the time, he's looking to pass but as he looks around nobody has the brains/creativity to understand him and get to a soft spot for him to get the puck into for them. I'd rather he go to the net more, he does a lot already but he could do it more. He also carries himself like the #1 kid on a house league team, a hotshot/dog mentality, the behind the back passes rarely work for him and he forces other passes through tiny windows that are low percentage but when they work are masterpieces. He also passes the puck too hard, most of his teammates can't receive a soft 15 foot breakout pass from a dman nevermind his slap passes going 75 mph.

Notice how almost all his goals and assists are highlight reel caliber? Of course it speaks for his skill level but there really should be more mundane goals and assists from him.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
And there's no doubt the ankle has cost him some speed, he's still one of the fastest on the ice but he's missing his top gear, think he's about 80% of what he was last year in his skating. I trust/hope that he's 100% next fall. We're not going to make the playoffs - he should stay off his skates or any other exercise/workout that strains the ankle until August 1st. April-July, 4 months to heal.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Oilers fan here.

Eichel does not deserve the **** that the main boards give him lol, I really hope he breaks out offensively in the next couple games.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Oilers fan here.

Eichel does not deserve the **** that the main boards give him lol, I really hope he breaks out offensively in the next couple games.

Thanks
We wished upon a star for McDavid, but the lottery is what it is. You in Edmonton, have been blessed now with 2 generational talents, Gretzky and McDavid.

Here's to small market NHL teams telling Toronto, New York and their ilk, we will not go quietly into the night, we will not go with out a fight......were going to live on, and stomp on your arrogance in the process!

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
And today he scored a mundane goal, two, a tap in and an empty netter and that's great. he also said he's been 'too cute' - so he gets it.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Eichel should learn from Jamie Benn on how to break hockey sticks. Such an immature teenager :sarcasm:

3xLOGJ8.gif

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
If a sabre did this wed be proclaiming him as a heart and soul player...because an opponent did it we poke fun...

Who's "we"? Eichel got a fair amount of criticism around here for what was perceived by many as a temper tantrum after losing to Boston (although his media comments later received a warmer reception)

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If a sabre did this wed be proclaiming him as a heart and soul player...because an opponent did it we poke fun...

Lazy shift changes and poor body language is what people complained about. I take it further but only time will tell.

Emotion is good. I love emotion.

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
His numbers don't show how important he is to this team, and that's all that main board posters look at, along with snippets that fit their narrative.

I can't count how many times Foligno, Samson etc. fail to bury a prime opportunity because of a pass Jack makes they weren't anticipating. Just a couple of games ago we scored 2 goals directly because of great plays he made, yet he didn't record a point in either. One was a great stick lift on a defenseman behind the net, which allowed the puck to get to Okposo. I forgot the other play, it was earlier in the same game.

At some point the numbers are going to come, and them same main board posters will be calling him a late bloomer. The signs are all there, consistency will be the key, along with teammates burying prime chances he sets up.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
makes me sad and angry - the kid is an elite talent and he's getting no respect compared to his peer group, see the thread on the main board.

he needs a chance to play with O'Reilly. I think overall in the season and a half he's been here Girgensons meshes well with him and I seem to recall at some point last season Ennis?

then there's what we saw at the WCH where we have to admit he really didn't fit in with any linemates McLellan tried him with.

I used to coach 11-12 year old house league teams, he and the sabres kind of remind me of those teams - there'd be one kid, a center, far better than the rest, kids who could play and have played travel team hockey but have chosen to play house league because of the lesser commitment. then there are a couple other kids playing forward who are pretty good and one dman who is very good, the rest are your basic average kids and some kids who are just unathletic pylons trudging around. The #1 kid would get the puck in his own end and more times than not go up the gut of the ice and deke out some stiffs and get in on the goalie, a puck hog, understandably, the only time that kid thought about passing was on a 2 on 1 and usually when he did put a nice pass on the stick of one of his wingers a feeble shot or some crappy attempt to deke the goalie ensued. Jack is that kid on this team, I think he's caught in no man's land a lot of the time, he's looking to pass but as he looks around nobody has the brains/creativity to understand him and get to a soft spot for him to get the puck into for them. I'd rather he go to the net more, he does a lot already but he could do it more. He also carries himself like the #1 kid on a house league team, a hotshot/dog mentality, the behind the back passes rarely work for him and he forces other passes through tiny windows that are low percentage but when they work are masterpieces. He also passes the puck too hard, most of his teammates can't receive a soft 15 foot breakout pass from a dman nevermind his slap passes going 75 mph.

Notice how almost all his goals and assists are highlight reel caliber? Of course it speaks for his skill level but there really should be more mundane goals and assists from him.

To your first paragraph..I kind of like that the other youngsters are getting more credit. Let him excel on the low and stay out of the spotlight.

Scherbs

Feb 16, 2016
Ontario
His numbers don't show how important he is to this team, and that's all that main board posters look at, along with snippets that fit their narrative.

I can't count how many times Foligno, Samson etc. fail to bury a prime opportunity because of a pass Jack makes they weren't anticipating. Just a couple of games ago we scored 2 goals directly because of great plays he made, yet he didn't record a point in either. One was a great stick lift on a defenseman behind the net, which allowed the puck to get to Okposo. I forgot the other play, it was earlier in the same game.

At some point the numbers are going to come, and them same main board posters will be calling him a late bloomer. The signs are all there, consistency will be the key, along with teammates burying prime chances he sets up.
Agreed. He typically puts the puck on a platter for guys multiple times per game.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

More and more I'm agreeing with the bolded, and this post puts it in good perspective. On our PP, no three players look more in sync than Eichel, ROR and Risto. Occasionally they whiff a shot or blow a tire... but generally speaking, their minds are working at the same speed, so they can catch those "unexpected" passes and take meaningful shots on net afterwards.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing how Eichel and ROR work on a line. Not sure we ever will though.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Main board thread where Leafs fans have Marner as the 2nd best player in the 15 draft are hilarious. Laine ahead of Eichel? Insane.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Main board thread where Leafs fans have Marner as the 2nd best player in the 15 draft are hilarious. Laine ahead of Eichel? Insane.

It's mostly trolling, but some of them really seem to believe it.

My favorite is the constant grouping together of Matthews and McDavid; ex. "Eichel is a great player, but he's not in McDavid/Matthews tier."

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It's mostly trolling, but some of them really seem to believe it.

My favorite is the constant grouping together of Matthews and McDavid; ex. "Eichel is a great player, but he's not in McDavid/Matthews tier."

Of the Players drafted in the 2015 draft, he(Marner) is currently playing the 2nd best behind McDavid, but I still like Eichel's future more than Marner's by far. Get a coach who can utilize Eichel's ability and people outside of Leaf fans will see Eichel was drafted where he was for a reason.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Of the Players drafted in the 2015 draft, he(Marner) is currently playing the 2nd best behind McDavid, but I still like Eichel's future more than Marner's by far. Get a coach who can utilize Eichel's ability and people outside of Leaf fans will see Eichel was drafted where he was for a reason.
I know I didn't specify, but my reply was about the Leaf trolling in general, and not necessarily just the Marner bit.

The constant degrading of Eichel, while inflating Matthews status gets pretty annoying, but that's also what they want. I usually try to ignore it, but it depends on what kind of mood I'm in :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad