HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Jack Edwards turns 60

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I love Jack , he is probably my favorite announcer in any sport . Now it would have to come from one of my teams which are spread out . Now although Dallas is my football team they are basically eliminated announcer wise because its been mostly national so that leaves me reds baseball and bruins hockey since the 70s . I will go with jack #1 and both thom and marty brennaman right behind him . What I love about Jack is the excitement and he really seems to live and die with the games .

Jack gets a really bad rap of being too bias . Hell yes he is very bias but most of the nhl team announcers are . God having to listen to westphal Saturday or tb etc I think they are worse they just don't yell and scream as loud.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He was and wasn't. He was asked if he could do road games along with home as NESN was going to one person doing both and he said no. So in effect he took himself out of consideration.

10 years ago Bruins TV producer Doug Wheeler retired and was replaced with Brian Zechello who wanted one team for both home and away, under orders from Tom Werner. My understanding is Dale was asked if he could work all games home and away and he said no, so no official offer was ever made. He was the first choice for NESN. Jack also wanted to work more as he had young children.

The only reason there were separate announcers for home and away goes back to when games were split between NESN and TV38 and both stations wanted their own announcer. Fred Cusick shocked everyone by deciding he wanted to do ROAD games as he did not look his new position at Fleet Center on Level 9 and Dale was given the home games. When Fred finally retired he was replaced on TV38 by Dave Shea.

Because of the lockout Dave Shea took a radio job with the new Washington Nationals ( and he was fired after one year ) but NESN had already hired Jack Edwards to do the road games.

That was an era of major change at NESN as the new Red Sox owners put their own people in place after taking over in 2002.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad