HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Jack Edwards turns 60

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jack Edwards last Friday celebrated his 60th birthday.

I first met Jack when he was working at Channel 9 in Manchester in the early 80's and then he moved to Providence and worked at Channel 10. He got his big break in 1984 when Channel 5 in Boston needed a sportscaster immediately after their weekend anchor either quit or was fired and Jack in Providence whipped up an audition tape and was on the air the following weekend. Jack doesn't look or act 60 but he did graduate from UNH in 1979.

Oh and whatever happened to the sportscaster he replaced at Channel 5?

WCVB_TV.jpg

:bday::party:

It should be noted that when Chet Curtis died 3 years ago that fired sportscaster made sure the rest of the country knew who Chet Curtis was.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He`s loud, he`s biased, he gets a bit too wound up at time but at the end of the day, I find it always a let down if I`m streaming a game or it`s on TV and I am forced to sit through a broadcast where he isn`t the PBP guy

Happy 60th Jack, honestly thought he was only about 50

BigBadBruin

Aug 21, 2002
Saskatoon
I've always enjoyed a Jacks work but really appreciated this year as we have been stuck with more broadcasts of the other team on Center Ice.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Happy Birthday Jack !!

Often when I am at a home game and something happens I wonder what Jack is saying.

I enjoy him and hope he keeps at it for the B's for years

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Jack isn't the typical/status quo broadcaster..... and for that I love him.
Shine on you crazy diamond, Jack.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Happy Birthday Jack! I love his passion for hockey and the Bruins. I find him refreshing because he does not hide the fact he is a Bruins fan but he appreciates good hockey from any team. He gets excited about great plays from opponents instead of playing down the competition.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Did anyone else catch when he stated "60 is the new 4:20" during the broadcast?

He's always good for a laugh.

i did.lol.
it reminded me of when pete bouchard the local weather guy said the 9 inches of snow was as big as him. i still laugh at that bid every time

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
He`s loud, he`s biased, he gets a bit too wound up at time but at the end of the day, I find it always a let down if I`m streaming a game or it`s on TV and I am forced to sit through a broadcast where he isn`t the PBP guy

Happy 60th Jack, honestly thought he was only about 50

I feel the same way when Jack is not broadcasting the B's game.

Sure he says weird **** on the air, but that's part of the reason why I like Jack.

He's just a kid at heart, and I didn't think he was a day over 50.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
From the Boston Globe 32 years ago

EDWARD'S DREAM A REALITY

Boston Globe (pre-1997 Fulltext) - Boston, Mass.
Author: Craig, Jack
Date: May 3, 1985
Start Page: 72
Section: SPORTS

SporTView / JACK CRAIG

How many have a dream, see it become reality, and discover it is even more fulfilling than anticipated?

Jack Edwards, Ch. 5's sportscaster, claims he is one of the rare ones.

"When I was a kid in New Hampshire, the only thing I wanted to be was a sportscaster for a Boston TV station," he says. "I was a Don Gillis fan, a child of television, I guess."

Edwards, 28, grew up in Durham, where his parents were on the University of New Hampshire faculty. His father was director of theater and his mother a music professor. When dad was stuck for a child actor, he would call home. Jack made his stage debut at 4.

Is there a little ham in Edwards that makes television a natural for him? "Yes and maybe," he responds.

Yet he did not travel a straight road to success at Ch. 5. He was fired from his first TV job at Ch. 9 in Manchester, N.H. "The general manager wanted me to lead every sports report with a high school story. We went around on that all the time," Edwards said. When the NFL strike ended (October, 1982), he led with it on his sports report. "I was fired nine days before Christmas."

Edwards was moonlighting at the time as host of the weekend call- in sports program on WRKO, and, while in Boston, he met Tom Shaer, who was about to move from his weekend sports anchor position at Ch. 10 in Providence to a radio job in Chicago.

Within a month of his dismissal at Ch. 9, Edwards had a job in the much larger Providence market, where at last he enjoyed the freedom given the weekend sports anchor. He also had an opportunity to participate in the station's extensive coverage of the America's Cup races that summer.

The Ch. 10 job also made his work visible to executives at the Boston stations, and he was hired as a sports reporter at Ch. 5 last winter. "It was Dec. 3 (1984) when I got a call from Phil Balboni (executive news director) and he told me 'Your ship has come in,' " Edwards said.

He vividly recalls his first assignment at Ch. 5. The date was Jan. 28, and he was spending part of the day at ESPN (another freelance job) doing skiing voice-overs, when he received a call from Boston. Lee Webb was sick and Edwards would make his debut that night as sports anchor on the 11 o'clock news.

He hurried to Boston, ripped and read copy from the wire service machines, wrote, helped edit material, then walked onto the anchor desk. "There I was, sitting aside Chet (Curtis) and Natalie (Jacobsen)," he said.

Generally, you can do or you can't do at the anchor desk, and training is only marginally helpful. Edwards can do, as he demonstrated that night.

But Edwards was hired as a sports reporter and says he prefers to be outside. He insists he even enjoys locker room interviews, the most uncomfortable part of the job.

"I like the field because you might get a chance to write around a two- minute piece. At the anchor desk, you might just attach a clever phrase to a 20-second action segment."

Edwards says he likes the writing side of television most of all, unusual except that it is what he does best. "I noticed his writing skill right away," says John Sawhill, general manager at Ch. 10.

"Clark Booth's writing was what I admired most at Ch. 5. I would notice that when his segment would come on TV, we would stop talking in order to listen. That's quite a tribute, when you consider it is TV," he said.

Edwards' spoken words do not evoke the sardonic memory of Keith Olbermann, who preceded him at Ch. 5, but Edwards' phrases are more clever than most others in local sports television.

Edwards' outlook is so sunny that he refutes the common belief that his is a selfish business. "People told me it was a rat's nest in Boston, that you have to watch out for yourself all the time. I have found it just the opposite," he says.

Network ambitions grind away at most superior local TV talents after a while and, the greater the skill, the worse the pang. Yet Edwards says he can't imagine such a dilemma because he is where he always wanted to be.

Wait a while.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Jack does have a lot of sports knowledge and I genuinely believe I would love to hang out with the guy.

But, I can't stand him as an announcer. I'm 28, yet somehow I act like I'm 78 when it comes to announcers. Call it down the middle. I don't need a drunk fan wailing in my ear every game I watch.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Happy Birthday Jack!

I'm a huge fan. He is knowledgeable. He prepares a ton before each game and it shows. He is outrageous at times and goes over the top from time to time. I like that about him. But the thing I like most about Jack is that he is so damn enthusiastic and seems to love his job and the sport. Very glad he is with NESN and the Bs.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I got lottsa love for Jack. I'm always disappointed when I get someone else calling a Bruins game. Loves his Bruins and knows his ****.

Oh, and Happy Birthday:hbday:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad