Jack Edwards to remain as Bruins play-by-play voice

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

ad267d6e49cb176ce59487fd23728ad9.gif

giphy.gif

Jack Edwards to remain with NESN as Bruins play-by-play voice - The Boston Globe

When NESN hired Jack Edwards in September 2005 to be the Bruins play-by-play voice for its road broadcasts, the former ESPN SportsCenter anchor said it was his dream job.

“My hope is still to be doing this in 2025,” he said.

Thirteen years and a new contract later, Edwards’s whimsical wish is now in the range of reality.
NESN has not made a formal announcement yet, but according to industry sources, Edwards recently agreed to a new contract to remain as the Bruins play-by-play voice for the foreseeable future. One source said the new deal was for four years, which would take him through the 2021-22 season.

There will be no changes on NESN’s Bruins broadcast team in the coming season. Edwards, who became the sole play-by-play voice in the 2007-08 season (Dale Arnold had called the home games), will be joined again by veteran color analyst Andy Brickley and rinkside reporter Alex Kraemer, who made a good impression last season, her first in the job.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gotta say I'm pretty jealous of the passion and heart that goes into NESN broadcasts. Jack is great.

I might be reading too much into it but looking at your avatar you're a Sabres fan correct? Passion and heart singlehandedly describes RJ more than any adjectives

Evergreen

Edwards is a massive homer who sometimes says things he shouldn't, but I like him. He brings and energy and enthusiasm to his play-by-play that is missing from a lot of other broadcasts. In a hockey world where interviews and commentary are becoming increasingly boring and meaningless as guys are coached not to say anything of substance and are afraid of offending anybody, Edwards' frankness is much appreciated.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I might be reading too much into it but looking at your avatar you're a Sabres fan correct? Passion and heart singlehandedly describes RJ more than any adjectives
RJ is awesome. Especially when the team is good, there is no one more passionate. But the Sabres broadcasts as a whole are pretty stale and lacklustre, much of it having to do with the team sucking and therefore both the arena and RJ having little energy.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
He is always entertaining if nothing else.

Personally, I hate the shit out of him but can understand how some like him.

Reactions: Newfy OilPenguin

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
RJ is awesome. Especially when the team is good, there is no one more passionate. But the Sabres broadcasts as a whole are pretty stale and lacklustre, much of it having to do with the team sucking and therefore both the arena and RJ having little energy.

In RJ's defense the man is what, like 74 years old? The human voice only holds up for so long that you can rattle off the trademark energy of La-La-La-La-La-LaFontaine and OOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRTIME! He tries but we both know it's not the same. But I gotta give the man his due, the sound and quality of his natural play by play voice is still one of the best in the game in same vein as Bob Cole. In any sense RJ is one of the best there ever was and its his contagious enthusiasm that paved the way for guys like Jack Edwards

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
He's actually a pretty good play by play guy, but his homerism towards the Bruins is really pathetic and takes a lot away from how good he is.

I understand there will always be bias with local commentators, but his is beyond professional

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
No his voice is terrible. Sounds like he's constipated

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
definitely main board worthy.

I didn't know there was a doubt that he was going to continue as PxP guy.

Reactions: BM14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad