Jack Edwards goes on epic rant against NBC and the NHL

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I like Jack, but he's a rabid a-hole from time to time.

I'd consider trading him for Dave Mishkin tho.

Dave Mishkin is the worst announcer in the history of broadcasting. I used to like Tampa a bit because they were Esposito's team, Mishkin has made them into a team I root against at every opportunity.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Dave Mishkin is the worst announcer in the history of broadcasting. I used to like Tampa a bit because they were Esposito's team, Mishkin has made them into a team I root against at every opportunity.

I never pegged you as a fan of soft announcing. :naughty:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

I think you need to realign your priorities when it comes to the fact that you root against a team based on their radio call guy.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Those little blue pills worked for Bob Dole, so presumably they'd work for Jack too.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Randy Moller takes them all to school

I equally hate and love that man. But about Jacko... I can't stand him.. he's like that image of the nerdy kid who got thrown in the lockers by the jocks but still chases after their coattails. Plus the way he looks and the creepy laugh.. I wouldn't be surprised if there were several bodies behind his walls in his house:help:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Listening to other announcers makes you appreciate Jack in one definite area - he knows the players. Watch a game sometime and count how many "the defenseman," mentions there are as opposed to a player's name, for example.

Yes, he loves the Bruins, and he's broadcasting for Bruins fans, most of whom love them too. But he also gives due credit to other teams and players, sometimes even going overboard.

He has fun, and he doesn't take himself or his job too seriously. Sometimes I think that's what annoys people about him.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bob Wilson is so underrated, what a great voice and style he had. I loved listening to him..

In his perch in the press box in Montreal, Bob Wilson, the longtime radio voice of the Bruins, led listeners through his pregame setup. It was a potential series clincher for the Habs. With almost a stand-up comic's refined delivery, The Voice fired off the names of Montreal's hot scorers. Based on Wilson's frustrated tone and, the French names rolling from his tongue in near perfect accent, another end was upon his beloved B's.

"That rounds out the Montreal attack," boomed Wilson, segueing directly out of the roll call of Canadiens scorers. "And who do the Bruins counter with, but Lyndon Byers . . . who couldn't put the puck in the ocean if he was standing at the end of the dock!"

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Listening to other announcers makes you appreciate Jack in one definite area - he knows the players. Watch a game sometime and count how many "the defenseman," mentions there are as opposed to a player's name, for example.

Yes, he loves the Bruins, and he's broadcasting for Bruins fans, most of whom love them too. But he also gives due credit to other teams and players, sometimes even going overboard.

He has fun, and he doesn't take himself or his job too seriously. Sometimes I think that's what annoys people about him.

I will give him that.. He's not a nonsensical homer.. he knows his ****.. Plus.. people from other cities/fanbases haven't seen him talk about Crosby.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jack makes it very clear who he is.

He states that he is announcing Boston Bruins hockey, not a NHL game.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I've always marveled at how quickly Jack can narrate who is passing to whom, or who is hitting whom - and not just on the Bruins, but on the other team, too. To me, that's 99% of a play-by-play guy's job. Now, I can't verify how accurate he is all the time, but I don't hear too many "I'm sorry, that's not X, that's Y" from him. Even with a cheat sheet in front of him (and I actually really like that he's posting those cheat sheets on Twitter now), it's impressive to be able to call a hockey game when players are moving all over the place. Doc seems pretty good at this, too - and maybe I'm just a novice, but being right even 70% of the time, all while watching the game and talking at the same time, would seem like a tremendous feat.

It's the hardest of the big four sports to call, because players are constantly in motion, and while Krug will usually be closer to the Bruins' net than, say, Marchand, it's not a guarantee. Basketball's tough too, but at least you have the added cue of the player's face when their number isn't facing you. There's enough time in football that you can watch the play and THEN call it. Plus, formations are a little easier to watch. And you'd have to be blind to not know who's doing what in baseball.

Ugh, baseball. Every time I get a little annoyed at a Jackism that hits me between the eyes like a tumbling muffin, I give thanks that I don't have to listen to Orsillo and Remy have nonstop gigglefits during hockey games.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
In his perch in the press box in Montreal, Bob Wilson, the longtime radio voice of the Bruins, led listeners through his pregame setup. It was a potential series clincher for the Habs. With almost a stand-up comic's refined delivery, The Voice fired off the names of Montreal's hot scorers. Based on Wilson's frustrated tone and, the French names rolling from his tongue in near perfect accent, another end was upon his beloved B's.

"That rounds out the Montreal attack," boomed Wilson, segueing directly out of the roll call of Canadiens scorers. "And who do the Bruins counter with, but Lyndon Byers . . . who couldn't put the puck in the ocean if he was standing at the end of the dock!"

I consider Bob Wilson to be one of the greatest of all time. I will never forget that baritone.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I always find the biggest plus for Jack Edwards is how much he pisses off the other fanbases.

Excellent point.

Though now and again somebody will actually notice that he does indeed give credit to good play from the opposing team, or that he knows his stuff. The more rabid fans, though, just get mad. Which is great. :D

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I've always marveled at how quickly Jack can narrate who is passing to whom, or who is hitting whom - and not just on the Bruins, but on the other team, too. To me, that's 99% of a play-by-play guy's job. Now, I can't verify how accurate he is all the time, but I don't hear too many "I'm sorry, that's not X, that's Y" from him. Even with a cheat sheet in front of him (and I actually really like that he's posting those cheat sheets on Twitter now), it's impressive to be able to call a hockey game when players are moving all over the place. Doc seems pretty good at this, too - and maybe I'm just a novice, but being right even 70% of the time, all while watching the game and talking at the same time, would seem like a tremendous feat.

He is excellent at it, I very occasionally catch him in a mistake, but his accuracy is impressive. He is also very good at pronouncing names correctly (every time Doc Emrick over-pronounces "Lou CHEECH" I want to stab something). I'm of the mind that a home announcer is welcome to be biased for the home team, so I've come to appreciate him.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
He is excellent at it, I very occasionally catch him in a mistake, but his accuracy is impressive. He is also very good at pronouncing names correctly (every time Doc Emrick over-pronounces "Lou CHEECH" I want to stab something). I'm of the mind that a home announcer is welcome to be biased for the home team, so I've come to appreciate him.

My 76 year-old dad loves Doc....my theory is that Doc has a very radio voice - and, specifically, a 1940s/50s radio voice. (Or, at least, what I perceive to be a 40s/50s radio voice thanks to modern fictionalizations of radio.)

Sometimes, when I'm watching Jack and Brick make an obviously "homer" call (ie say Marchand falls down on the wrong knee, and they rail against the correctly penalized flop), I just remind myself that they're like lawyers in a court room, and on a regional sports net, you're not supposed to be completely objective. They're trying to present as much evidence for Boston's case as possible.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
I like Jack because I appreciate his wit and broad knowledge (not talking hockey here). He injects a bit of personality into a broadcasting position that can often times find itself bland and humorless. He loves his job, and the amount of preparation he puts into his job is immense and enthusiastic.

I feel like a lot of people who dislike him take him far too serious, and perhaps don't watch a lot of other broadcasts. Some of them are just lifeless and unbearable, and they aren't any less homerish... they are just less colorful and expressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00