Jack Edwards goes on epic rant against NBC and the NHL

member 96824

I am convinced now that anyone who openly complains about Jack Edwards does not have Center Ice and is unaware of the awful, downright terrible call men out there.

There are definitely some bad ones out there...Jack/Brick aren't the worst in the game by far, even though I admit, I'm not a huge fan.

Pitt is by far the worst. BY FAR.

Arthur*

Addendum: Anyone who complains about Jack Edwards doesn't remember the years of Dave Shea barely knowing who the players on the ice were.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Addendum: Anyone who complains about Jack Edwards doesn't remember the years of Dave Shea barely knowing who the players on the ice were.

Dave Shea, who openly bragged that he never saw a hockey game before getting a job which consisted of saying something stupid and having Derek correct him.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
hopefully he gets fired for this. every game I have to listen to him I want to eat a shotgun shell.

Couldn't agree more, as bad as Sanderson was he was only on color, having to listen to this idiot opine during play and how badly the poor Bruins are getting shafted by the refs, nhl, bad ice, the schedule maker, the airlines, the bus drivers and whoever else he can think of is irritating beyond words.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The only worse announcer I can think of is the guy that does radio play by play for Tampa. He could be the worst announcer in any sport, ever.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Couldn't agree more, as bad as Sanderson was he was only on color, having to listen to this idiot opine during play and how badly the poor Bruins are getting shafted by the refs, nhl, bad ice, the schedule maker, the airlines, the bus drivers and whoever else he can think of is irritating beyond words.

Wait, wait, wait...you're telling me the home team's announcer is in favor of the HOME TEAM? That's a real novel concept. :sarcasm:

If you don't like him, don't listen to him. Seriously, I'll never get the outrage over announcers being good or bad. Does it REALLY affect you watching the game THAT MUCH? I've listened to local college basketball announcers and as I've said multiple times before, Jack Edwards is Curt Freaking Gowdy compared to them.

Of all the things you could possibly get upset about regarding a sports team, the announcing team being homers is by far the pettiest. "Hey, stop supporting the home team! Hate them more, like I do!" :laugh:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Name some one you think is better than Jack that NESN should have?

Any play by play guy on CBC, sportsnet or TSN.

Any play by play guy in the NHL, Edwards makes Johnny Most seem like he was unbiased.

Radio just move Goucher over. he calls a much better game than Edwards, who is nothing more than a cartoon character.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

I must be listening to a different broadcast.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
i wish jack edwards would fall into a black hole

I'm pretty sure his teeth would jam the black hole.

This is simple. Jack loves Jack and he looooves a big audience. His thinking was that he was missing out on his big audience but to be honest, matinee's aren't what they used to be and Jack sadly, is.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Any play by play guy on CBC, sportsnet or TSN.

Any play by play guy in the NHL, Edwards makes Johnny Most seem like he was unbiased.

Radio just move Goucher over. he calls a much better game than Edwards, who is nothing more than a cartoon character.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. If a fan is not bothered by biased announcing, then Jack's your guy. A friend of mine who is a big Jack fan said "so what? I'm a Bruins fan. What's wrong with blatantly cheering for the Bruins".

He went on to compare it to Bob Cole, saying that while Bob Cole seems unbiased, he does call the game on a maple leafs slant.

What I don't like about Edwards is that he thinks B's fans are dumb. He will blatantly call things that did not happen or wont call things that did happen depending on which team did it.

We see it with our own eyes!!! What game are you calling?

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Wait, wait, wait...you're telling me the home team's announcer is in favor of the HOME TEAM? That's a real novel concept. :sarcasm:

If you don't like him, don't listen to him. Seriously, I'll never get the outrage over announcers being good or bad. Does it REALLY affect you watching the game THAT MUCH? I've listened to local college basketball announcers and as I've said multiple times before, Jack Edwards is Curt Freaking Gowdy compared to them.

Of all the things you could possibly get upset about regarding a sports team, the announcing team being homers is by far the pettiest. "Hey, stop supporting the home team! Hate them more, like I do!" :laugh:

It's the old school approach. Are you a broadcaster or a cheerleader. If you're willing to put down the cigar and fedora and put on the pom poms, presto! Jack Edwards.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
It's the old school approach. Are you a broadcaster or a cheerleader. If you're willing to put down the cigar and fedora and put on the pom poms, presto! Jack Edwards.

Every NHL announcer that is employed by the team's home broadcaster is biast to their team. Jack has not cornered the market on that.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

We had the most old school of old school announcers ever seen for 37 years. Johnny Most was the definition of the term, right down to his gravelly voice and nicotine stained fingers.

And he was also the single most biased announcer in the history of sports.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
We had the most old school of old school announcers ever seen for 37 years. Johnny Most was the definition of the term, right down to his gravelly voice and nicotine stained fingers.

And he was also the single most biased announcer in the history of sports.

Tommy Heinsohn takes exception to that. :laugh:

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Don't understand the Edwards hate. His homerism keeps things interesting and like others have said, he's far from the worst announcer in the league.

Easily the worst aspect of NESN broadcasts is the fact that the station insists on using as many different camera angles as possible. Some of the new ones they've tried out recently have been horrendous. It's kind of hard to follow the play when you've got cameras constantly zooming in on players rather than tracking the puck.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I like Jack, but he's a rabid a-hole from time to time.

I'd consider trading him for Dave Mishkin tho.

iGetCarried*

I'd much rather listen to Dave Goucher. Guy can call a game, love his voice! Sucks he's only on the radio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad