Jack Edwards announces he will retire after this season

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah I don't think he gets a pass and rationalization as "passionate about the Bruins just because he's retiring. He made a jackass of himself on live TV on far more than one occasion to the point that for many fans, the only thing they'll miss is online watercooler talk about the latest jackassery from him.

That said, I don't know the guy away from the mic so for all I know, he's a sweetheart. So, hope he has happiness and health in retirement.

Reactions: hangman005

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It's appropriate that his last game announcing will either be yet another beating of the Leafs, or the Leafs finally beating Boston (in US national announcers take over after round 1). Only thing more appropriate would be the Habs, but Edwards couldn't keep going until he was 90 to make that possible.

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
Yeah I don't think he gets a pass and rationalization as "passionate about the Bruins just because he's retiring. He made a jackass of himself on live TV on far more than one occasion to the point that for many fans, the only thing they'll miss is online watercooler talk about the latest jackassery from him.

That said, I don't know the guy away from the mic so for all I know, he's a sweetheart. So, hope he has happiness and health in retirement.
You clearly don't know him on the mic, either.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You clearly don't know him on the mic, either.
Yeah I know he called good games too and had some iconic calls for the Bruins. And I know he's not the only homer in the league but when he really got going it was insufferable. I wouldn't even say he was like that a majority of the time, but his reputation didn't just fall out of the damn sky and those odd times he went overboard is enough to build a bad rep.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
At his best, he had a pretty great voice, knew a ton about hockey, and called a very good game. However, his completely over-the-top homerism detracted from his talents as a broadcaster, which is a shame if you're not a Bruins fan.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I will not be moved from my position that prior to his illness, Edwards was one of the top PBP guys in the league on a technical level, and happened to have a performative homer streak which made him unpopular outside his home market (which was the only one he cared about).

Edwards would have been excellent in a wwe commentary role.

Last edited:

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Love Jack. He was a fond part of my life in Boston and I will miss his game calling. He was a homer but had some classic quotes like the blubber skinning of the Canes on Whalers jerseys night.

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He was a horrible announcer that symbolized all the bad points of pro-sports' homer-ism.

The good point is, with his passing, I may once again be able to enjoy the Boston Bruins franchise, which he ruined for me.

Reactions: Grulemieux

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Loved Jack and hated Jack and loved to hate Jack. I wish him the best. He certainly wore his fandom on his sleeve without shame, and Bruin fans, properly, loved him for that.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Guys, show some respect to a major figure in the game stepping away.

I have my retirement ceremony gear picked out already.

img-2584113-f.jpg

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Andy Brickley is a far worse homer than Edwards and no one ever calls it out, very sad.

Maybe not lately because Edwards has really lost the plot the last season or two but historically it was always Edwards calling a really good opposition goal with praise and then Brickley being like "wElL aCtUaLlLy"

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Hats off to a heck of a career.
Gonna miss the guy. Called some beauty moments the last 20 years.

At times this year his PBP has sounded like a word soup. Glad he's going out on his own terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad