Recalled/Assigned: Jack Drury

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Foegele averaged 14 goals per 82 in Carolina. Puljujarvi has averaged 13 goals per 82 in his career.
But he did that playing with the best player on the planet and is trending in the wrong direction. I think it would be safe to say Foegele is his ceiling at this point. I hope you are more correct than I am, but I am not seeing it at this point.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I'm curious why you say he's going to be better than Foegele. I'm genuinely asking as I have seen very little of him. Here's why I ask though:

Foegele is 6'2, almost 200lbs, Rees is 5'11, 172 lbs.
Foegele, as a 21 year old put up 28G, 46P as a 21 year old in the AHL, and did so with no PP time at all. Rees has come nowhere near that production.
Foegele made the team out of camp and was with the team the entire year before the playoffs started. Rees hasn't played 1 min in the NHL.

Probably unfairly as it's due to his style of play and size, I've always viewed Rees's upside as Brock McGinn.
I think Rees is more skilled, although maybe that opinion is outdated a bit as I haven't followed him super closely in Chicago. On the surface though his 36 in 49 this year looks as good as Foegele's 46 in 73. And Rees put up 61 points in 39 games in the OHL, way better than any season Foegele ever had.

Also he's significantly more of a pest and plays with that fire more consistently. Foegele had the pest come out in him at times (like the Caps series) but a lot of the time it didn't and he was just a hard working skater. I liked Foegele a lot here (not just because of the Superbad jokes although those were great) but I wouldn't oversell his contributions. Rees could certainly match his contributions or do better.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Good.

Stastny isn't exactly an irreplaceable 4th line C; especially lately. Might as well shake up the roster a little bit with a guy from the AHL who has a lot of motivation and drive to prove he belongs on the team. Plus Drury is faster than Stastny, and that's important to getting into the offensive zone which we've struggled with recently.

At the very least, Drury can't be worse offensively than the team has been lately. There's a low bar. I'm actually excited to see Drury. I think he is a promising 3rd-4th line center, and he should've gotten more time with the Hurricanes by now IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think Rees is more skilled, although maybe that opinion is outdated a bit as I haven't followed him super closely in Chicago. On the surface though his 36 in 49 this year looks as good as Foegele's 46 in 73. And Rees put up 61 points in 39 games in the OHL, way better than any season Foegele ever had.

Also he's significantly more of a pest and plays with that fire more consistently. Foegele had the pest come out in him at times (like the Caps series) but a lot of the time it didn't and he was just a hard working skater. I liked Foegele a lot here (not just because of the Superbad jokes although those were great) but I wouldn't oversell his contributions. Rees could certainly match his contributions or do better.
Thanks.

I think how they are used is important when making the comparison. Foegele got no PP time so all his goals were ES/SH and scored 28 goals playing in that manner.

Anyhow, based on my limited knowledge, I do agree Rees has more skill, but Foegele has better size and speed. I'm not convinced how well Rees's game will translate, but since I've not seen much of him, it's hard to say. He could match his contributions or do better, and he could do worse. The fire he plays with is nice, but if he ends up in the penalty box a lot, that's a big hindrance going into the playoffs.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thanks.

I think how they are used is important when making the comparison. Foegele got no PP time so all his goals were ES/SH and scored 28 goals playing in that manner.

Anyhow, based on my limited knowledge, I do agree Rees has more skill, but Foegele has better size and speed. I'm not convinced how well Rees's game will translate, but since I've not seen much of him, it's hard to say. He could match his contributions or do better, and he could do worse. The fire he plays with is nice, but if he ends up in the penalty box a lot, that's a big hindrance going into the playoffs.

It really does make it a lot easier if we just compare to McGinn like you said in the beginning. Instead of being like “well, he is smaller, but he is more skilled too. And he’s physical, but, well, in a different way than Foegele I guess, less power forward-y”, we can use McGinn as a starting point and do comparisons from there lol.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Yeah, I saw. Wasn't the Foegele we had here the better Foegele? When I said he played with the best player on the planet, I was referring to JP.
Some guys just don’t click together. He gets an opportunity now to get an extended look with Aho, if he can back to anything close to how he played with him when they were in Finland I imagine he’ll look way better than he ever did with McDavid. They’ve made a couple plays now that certainly look promising but you’re def right in being cautious.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Drury has not really shown an ability to even periodically get on the score sheet in the AHL so probably worth lowering our expectations on what he is going to contribute here.

Of course saying that, they are going to be putting him on PP2, so I'm sure that'll help our woes on thean advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad