Tribute Jack Campbell Discussion Part 2

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I was more arguing that he was in good position, he didn't need to extend with his blocker - which opened up unnecessary holes.

the camera does play a bit of tricks but it is not too far off if you are accurate drawing lines from puck to post (i used digital rulers so it's fairly accurate). I did have to guess puck position on the stick,
I didn't think he was positioned poorly there, but his save selection is weak and just lacks in general technique. He literally snow angelled at one point last night

I'd challenge puck vs camers though, it isn't close. Like at all you can see way more net on the camera side (left) and high (down) because of it. Puck angle is way different IMO

I try as much as I can to unload Mrazek and sign Campbell as a 1B at anything under 3m.

As for the other goalie Husso or Kuemper would be my targets if possible.
I figure Kuemper is going back to Colorado

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
I didn't think he was positioned poorly there, but his save selection is weak and just lacks in general technique. He literally snow angelled at one point last night

I'd challenge puck vs camers though, it isn't close. Like at all you can see way more net on the camera side (left) and high (down) because of it. Puck angle is way different IMO

I figure Kuemper is going back to Colorado

Agree the camera does fudge it a bit, but it is the best angle i could find and you can still see the principle that he moves his blocker out of the net area and is covering air at that point haha. But ya, poor save selection. Basically with Campbell he's trying to "make a save" on shots he doesn't need to.

Kuemper probably will return. If he and Husso aren't available it's pretty thin pickings. Hence the importance of developing goalies.

I'd probably then also look at a trade for Varlamov since the Isles appear to be going Sorokin.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you think he's technically sound you are stuck in the 90s.

Campbell stood tall and gave us his best this series, but he does play like he grew up watching a healthy diet of Potvin and Joseph. It's the extra bit of movement, the acrobatics when not necessary and the panic scramble that I think are weaknesses in his game. There was that moment in the Game 5 closeout when the puck bounced off him up in the air and he had no idea what was going on. Think there were a few moments like that.

Reactions: makbeer

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Agree the camera does fudge it a bit, but it is the best angle i could find and you can still see the principle that he moves his blocker out of the net area and is covering air at that point haha. But ya, poor save selection. Basically with Campbell he's trying to "make a save" on shots he doesn't need to.

Kuemper probably will return. If he and Husso aren't available it's pretty thin pickings. Hence the importance of developing goalies.

I'd probably then also look at a trade for Varlamov since the Isles appear to be going Sorokin.
What about Pavel Francouz?
The avs seem to be happy with Kuemper

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Honestly I haven't seen enough of him. Will spend some time on the UFA goalies in the offseason. I might be having ptsd but i'm scared of signing a czech 1b goalie with good numbers on a good team hahaha.
I wouldn't want to give too much term or money. Looking 1A 1B situation with the hope someone takes the #1 job based on merit

Reactions: makbeer

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
He got outplayed by Vasi, but who would expect otherwise. Vasi is the top goalie in the league. Campbell played well, although I’m still not 100% confident with him in net. If he wants around 4mil per I’d bring him back, if he wants more I’d look for a better goalie - trade for Gibson maybe?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
This is an example of why I am annoyed at Jack's exaggerated movements and reactions. It's clear he hasn't been taught to understand where the real net is in relation to his positioning.

On the Pilat goal he reaches out to try to make a blocker save and the puck goes through his armpits.

But it if you look at what we call box control, you'll realise Jack already has the far post covered he doesn't need to extend at all. He's in great position. All he has to do is drop and the puck will hit him. His lack of understanding of what net he takes up causes him to open up and concede a goal the only way it could have been scored - through his body.

Ofc this diagram isn't 100% accurate given the angle but it would not be much different. At that depth (he's 2 feet out of the blue) and the puck carrier at that distance, Jack has to know he's not giving up any net to the left or right.

This is also why I am constantly questioning the coaching Jack is receiving because of some fundamental issues that have been here for the last 2 years.
I am convinced that Steve Briere has something on Larry Tanenbaum or something. The guy is crap and he has been crap for a long time. One goalie a few years back complained he was trying to get him to play a completely different way when Briere got a hold of him ( I think it was Bernier...could be wrong). Get Mitch Korn or someone of that quality....you can afford it MLSE.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I thought soupy was decent in the series; certainly was not responsible for the series loss.

Felt he made some very timely saves to keep the team in. His save on Kucherov late in game 5 at 3-3 is an example of this.

But in line with the general theme of this thread I’m unsure at this point if he’s the long term solution in net.

Dubas’ cap structure has put the team in a very difficult position. His gamble on mrazek and Campbell forming a solid tandem failed miserably.

Outside of restructuring the team to free up space we are stuck with soupy for the immediate future.

I think our scouts need research the best goalie options in the upcoming draft and maybe start from there.
That isn’t true at all, they can adjust the middle of the roster rather easily and get a top end goalie if the opportunity presents itself.
Mrazek Campbell Holl muzzin kerfoot mikheyev engvall kase represent $21m in cap. You have two ready to go replacements on the blue line in liljegren and sandin who won’t eat up a ton of that in modest bridge deals. There’s up to 20m for a goalie tandem and some north south middle 6 forwards with grit

Last edited:
Reactions: ECanuck

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
A very good back up. Thats all he is
Some of you should wait a week before posting. It’s like calling kiprusoff a backup because he was behind Nabokov for years. jack got an opportunity to start and the numbers speak for themselves.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Some of you should wait a week before posting. It’s like calling kiprusoff a backup because he was behind Nabokov for years. jack got an opportunity to start and the numbers speak for themselves.

Yes a 30 year old back up all his life is a now a starter because he magically plays for.the leafs

I mean at least Tim Thomas was a starter in Europe

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I watched every second of every game, you mean the game where he spotted the cup champs a couple of gimmes to start the game? I’m talking about shutting the door completely, not a 1980’s last big stop wins kind of shut the door.
He played amazing when we got caved in for 30 minutes. You shouldn’t just call any goal a gimme and so that it fits your narrative

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In the elimination game he gave the Leafs a fighting chance to win the series. He did his job.

But I'm still completely nervous that if we gave him money and term we won't have a very ride over the next 82 games. Not sure what you do with this one.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think he'll be back with the Leafs. Toronto needs to find a number one goaltender, not a 1b goaltender. Contractually they're currently stuck with the sieve Mrazek who I wouldn't even trust as a third stringer option as this point. Campbell will want way too much money.

Nice guy, but it's time to move on from him, they need a true number one, not a 1B or back-up trying to be a starting goaltender.

He REALLY struggled for about 4 months, hovered around .880% 3.25+ GAA from December 15th until the end of March. To me, that's not the signs of a starting goaltender, but moreso as a 1B or back-up option. He did well in the bubble against weaker Canadian teams like Winnipeg, Montreal, Vancouver, etc, but in the normal division, his numbers were pretty average.

It's time to move on... it just is.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
In the elimination game he gave the Leafs a fighting chance to win the series. He did his job.

But I'm still completely nervous that if we gave him money and term we won't have a very ride over the next 82 games. Not sure what you do with this one.

Yep this is it. What do we have in him. I still don’t know?

I don’t feel like he will carry us to a cup. But I don’t feel like he was bad or it was his fault?

Husso got pulled.
Kumper will stay
Fleury will go to pit.

Wash needs a g
Edmonton too.

I don’t know if a g would rather go to Edmonton?
Who knows how this will go.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Sorry but a goalie with numbers like that when we shut down tampas core out of all cores, is simply not a goalie I care to keep.

Everything else is noise to me. Go throw a parade he finally made a save in the 3rd

Reactions: fahad203

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Great guy, had excellent stretches of play, but he is too inconsistent and injury prone to commit to long term.

We need to move on from him and Mrazek and find a legitimate number one goaltender.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad