Tribute Jack Campbell Discussion Part 2

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Wouldn't mind giving Campbell the full week off. Mrazek Saturday at NYI and then Campbell vs ANA
I can't justify giving this guy 6 mil when we're sitting here discussing if he needs some extended rest after 30 starts.

p.s Not saying you want to give him 6 mil...just using your post as an intro to mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nylanderthal

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I can't justify giving this guy 6 mil when we're sitting here discussing if he needs some extended rest after 30 starts.

There wasn't a justification to give the guy 6 mill at any point.

But 29 starts in 37 games is a lot for any goalie. He should get a rest.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
There wasn't a justification to give the guy 6 mill at any point.

But 29 starts in 37 games is a lot for any goalie. He should get a rest.

I saw a lot of 6 mil talk the past 2 days so more just following up on that.

That is a lot of starts in 37 games, which made me actually back space my comment the first time. But then I remembered the covid pause and postponed games. He shouldn't need a whole week off right now and if he does, it is relevant to the contract debates people were having earlier

Reactions: WildWolfdog

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
I am really starting to question Steve Briere. Campbell has had the same issues on the short side with his post play, and with his leaky butterfly since he got here and he doesn't seem to have cleaned it up. Despite how well he has played, Soup lets in a lot of weak goals short side that just squeak by him and the post. It is an easy thing to clean up it is just a lack of detail.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I saw a lot of 6 mil talk the past 2 days so more just following up on that.

That is a lot of starts in 37 games, which made me actually back space my comment the first time. But then I remembered the covid pause and postponed games. He shouldn't need a whole week off right now and if he does, it is relevant to the contract debates people were having earlier

It's just talk. Nothing more. We can maybe talk 6 mill if Campbell is winning a Cup for us. Until then, not even a consideration based on precedence.

For me, I am not worried about short term fatigue or even his slump. Who cares if he has sucked the past few starts as long as he bounces back? I think he will, and he will need to do so if we want a chance in the playoffs. The break and rest probably hurt him in that regard, because he was on a roll.

It is more that the Leafs need to find games for Mrazek at some point anyways, and while I full well would give Campbell the games in January to let him play out of his slump, we need to start going back to the original plan with Campbell-Mrazek so Campbell doesn't end up playing like 70 games (and suffer longer term fatigue) by the end of the regular season.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Jebus. Jack is a good legit starting goalie. He had played like a top 5 for the first Half of the year. If he is a top 10 who can make big saves that’s all we need for a run.

every goalie goes through slumps. The team is out of rythym and has played their probably second worst stretch of 5 teams for the whole season and came out .500.

jack was bound to cool off. It only helps the contract.

the 6 x 6 talk was silly. He probably ends up in the 4-5 year 4.25-5.25 range.

let’s see how the year plays out. Offer him a fair deal. If it doesn’t work out. Go for kuemper or fleury or try to buy low on drieger.

of the goalie carousel next year. Toronto and Colorado are the most attractive destinations.

who else that is a sure playoff team needs a goalie?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Campbell is not getting overworked. :laugh:

If anything, the biggest problem is us not playing enough.

Goalies go through stretches like this, which is why it was so ridiculous when people were panicking and yelling to "sign him now!!!" for inflated amounts when he was at his peak.

He'll be fine.

Reactions: The Podium

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Campbell is not getting overworked. :laugh:

If anything, the biggest problem is us not playing enough.

Goalies go through stretches like this, which is why it was so ridiculous when people were panicking and yelling to "sign him now!!!" for inflated amounts when he was at his peak.

He'll be fine.
You're right, he will be fine but I did think Mrazek would start last night. Not so much because Campbell is overworked, as you say the team hasn't played a lot of games recently. But because Mrazek needs some starts too, might as well get some in while Campbell is in a slump.

Mrazek only has 2 starts since the beginning of November (December 11 and January 12), January is a light schedule but post all star break is really busy so we are going to need him to be on his game.

We need to get Mrazek some starts somewhere.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You're right, he will be fine but I did think Mrazek would start last night. Not so much because Campbell is overworked, as you say the team hasn't played a lot of games recently. But because Mrazek needs some starts too, might as well get some in while Campbell is in a slump.

Mrazek only has 2 starts since the beginning of November (December 11 and January 12), January is a light schedule but February is really busy so we are going to need him to be on his game.

We need to get Mrazek some starts somewhere.
Mrazek was injured until December, and then we've barely played since. He will play plenty when our schedule condenses due to the postponed games. They clearly didn't want Campbell sitting around for a week+ getting cold when we're playing 1-2 games a week, but it seems like he already went cold during the 3 week Covid stoppage.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They were so cautious with playing him last year and now it's the opposite

I wish I knew why they were load managing the crap out of him last year. Considering how they're riding him this year it's hard to figure what the reason might have been, it's a mystery.

In any case, they should have been giving Mrazek more starts as soon as he got healthy, time to wake up and start playin him. With only 3 games in the next 10 days I'm worried that they still don't get it, we'll see.

I said I wasn't worried at all after the game last night but I've changed my mind. We've been playing poorly for a while now and I've seen this movie before. We play well when the points come easily but later on in the season when the real teams tighten up and start playing hockey that looks more like playoff hockey, we start to fade. I'm sure the apologists will point to us missing 2 Dmen but they haven't played well this season anyway so they're not likely to save us either. Still time to turn it around but as it is, it's hard to see this team making any noise in the playoffs even if it the most talented Leaf team ever. And for those chirping about how we're one of the best teams in the league because we're a top 5 team, well we're not even top 5 any more, the Rangers took that away from us last night.

I've seen this movie before, will Groundhog day have a different ending this time? I sure hope so but it's hard to be very optimistic at this point.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hey at least we can re-sign Fred again!

But now of course he's NOT A LEGIT #1 and CANT HANDLE THE WORKLOAD.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Campbell has already played in 29 games this year, and the season is not even at the halfway point yet. His previous high in a season was 31 games. Don't know if it's being overworked, fatigue setting in, coming back to earth to more of an above-average goalie than one of the best in the league, or a combination thereof.

But either way, Mrazek should and needs to be given more starts. You signed him to be a 1B, and the contract matches that expectation. Time to give him some more time, both to get in a bit of a groove, and moreso to spare Campbell some rest.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think Campbell's stock has changed all that much (read: dropped) given his recent play. Certainly can't hurt to have Mrazek's stock increase somewhat though either.

Reactions: Confucius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad