Proposal: J. Tavares for J. Toews

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think Toews is definitely the worse player. Older too.

Wouldn't be a great look for the leafs to sign the biggest UFA inn recent memory, name him captain and then ship him off.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Why would these teams be paying the Leafs assets for the privilege to take on a $5m backup goalie?

bad fit for Chicago
tavares hasn't exactly blown the doors off Toews' production the last two seasons

tavares last two seasons: 145 GP, 148 pts
toews last two seasons: 152 GP, 141 pts

tavares is certainly the better offensive player but toews is still a terrific all around player. tavares also has been surrounded by loaded top six talent, arguably the best in the league which would bump toews too if he had that

chicago mainly doesn't do this because tavares has been largely disappointing in the playoffs but also because Chicago doesn't need to lock into a larger cap hit for longer when the end of toews' cap hit is in sight

dach is taking over 1C in probably two seasons. don't need tavares' boat anchor deal at that point stuck in the 2C spot

Boom. Actual facts.

I think this is closer than people are making it out to be. Toews has become underrated. I prefer Tavares but there is merit in getting out from the term of that contract without making a major downgrade; you can probably re-sign Toews for less money and term after his contract ends, and Toews would bring a winning pedigree and all-around game that would really benefit the Leafs.

If people look far enough ahead to when Mathews' and Marner's contracts are up for renewal, and FINALLY accept that no, the cap can't "always go up!", Leafs might not want that Tavares deal on the books quite so badly.

This deal is way closer than some here are making it out to be.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Both teams decline.

Chicago wouldn't risk losing much of the fan base by Trading Toews. Nor does it make sense to bring in a 30 year old.

Toronto wouldn't do it because of the extra years Tavares has left. And because it would look bad to trade away the hometown star just two years after signing him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Both teams decline.

Chicago wouldn't risk losing much of the fan base by Trading Toews. Nor does it make sense to bring in a 30 year old.

Toronto wouldn't do it because of the extra years Tavares has left. And because it would look bad to trade away the hometown star just two years after signing him.
I doubt Toronto cares at this point about keeping the locally sourced produce if it meant finally giving them a real shot at winning the cup

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Caulkin - What.gif

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
leafs say NO and for good reason... tavares will easily score 40 to 50 again and with the new leadership brought in there is zero need to rid yourselves of 40 to 50 goals ..

The90

Feb 27, 2017
bad fit for Chicago
tavares hasn't exactly blown the doors off Toews' production the last two seasons

tavares last two seasons: 145 GP, 148 pts
toews last two seasons: 152 GP, 141 pts

tavares is certainly the better offensive player but toews is still a terrific all around player. tavares also has been surrounded by loaded top six talent, arguably the best in the league which would bump toews too if he had that

chicago mainly doesn't do this because tavares has been largely disappointing in the playoffs but also because Chicago doesn't need to lock into a larger cap hit for longer when the end of toews' cap hit is in sight

dach is taking over 1C in probably two seasons. don't need tavares' boat anchor deal at that point stuck in the 2C spot
Does Kane qualify as top end talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad