News: J.T. Compher will be a UFA on July 1st

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hearing Seravalli talk about him getting 5mil AAV, would probably make me walk away from him too. Good player but I just wouldnt give him the money/term thats being tossed around.

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
Shocked at how many people don't know that he isn't the GM anymore
Sakic is still in the FO as the President of Hockey Operations.

Sakic has always said that’s it’s been a collaborative effort with MacFarland when he was the GM and I’m sure it’s still like that to a, perhaps, lesser extent with MacFarland as the GM.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Sakic is still in the FO as the President of Hockey Operations.

Sakic has always said that’s it’s been a collaborative effort with MacFarland when he was the GM and I’m sure it’s still like that to a, perhaps, lesser extent with MacFarland as the GM.
I realize he's still there and I'm sure he's still involved. I just meant it's funny that people are praising Sakic right away when he isn't the GM any longer.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Damn good third liner. Which is where he belongs. But someone’s going to overpay in free agency based on his performance last year. Very happy it won’t be the Avs.

Reactions: Bender and Azrael89

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Chicago should sit out the first day or UFA and let people use up there cap space and give a few players who get left out becuase they asked to high AAV but a short term (1-2 years ) and they can hit the market again when the cap goes up $4-5 mil the next 2 years.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'd say that the whole Colorado FO brass deserves collaborative credit. They seem a lot like Carolina's brass where there's no one person making the decisions.

There's a lot of reasons out there for Compher to get a large UFA contract. It isn't just that he's a center in a weak center market, but also he's only 28 AND he is right-handed. There's considerable amount of utility there. I bet that he'll be able to get the Trocheck comparable, albeit maybe with slightly fewer years than the 7 years that Trocheck got.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Feels like he's going to get paid in part because he got time up the lineup with guys like Rantanen when the Avs were so badly dinged up. More power to him, though I think a team acquiring him may not have a beast like Rantanen for him to play with and will have buyer's remorse.

Then again, maybe he winds up in Chicago, feeding pucks to Bedard and Hall as a new #1 line there and piles up even more points in the short term...
*shrug*

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Good. He’s a solid Swiss Army knife 3rd liner, but we can’t pay him to be a 50 point player. He isn’t that unless he’s playing with MacKinnon and Rantanen and he shouldn’t be anymore.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
I'm very appreciative for Compher consistently potting in his 15ish goals taking on just about any sort of middle-6 role but man, the circumstances really point to him getting paid a lot more than what he'll bring:
- Extremely weak UFA class, especially at his position
- On the younger end of UFAs
- Outlier season aided by getting bigger opportunities (>20 min/game!) on a depleted team
- Compher has issues giving his best effort consistently so there is a decent chance it'll be exacerbated by getting his big contract.

Go get your bag, JT... preferably with another team in our division.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I know he gets dumped on by fans but I'll always be appreciative of JT Compher coming up huge when it mattered most. His GWG out of the penalty box against Edmonton in Game 3 essentially ended the series - he does it over and over and over in the playoffs and he's a more than worthy Stanley Cup Champion

Go get that Chicago money JT!

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I do think someone is going to overpay JTC a whole bunch. He's got a bit of underrated skill, but doesn't always stay engaged enough to actually make use of it. He was one of my most frustrating players to watch on the forecheck as he mostly did flybys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad