Player Discussion: J.T. Brown

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
G8pzh1G.gif

Would love to see more of this from Brown.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
It's not even the stick handling or deking, but we need his speed thru the N.Z. as much as possible. You can bet Montreal will at least get a 1 goal lead once and try to trap, trap, trap at some point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
G8pzh1G.gif

Would love to see more of this from Brown.

Forget the deke. Look at the sweet interference we ran behind the play. The Detroit series is paying off.

EDIT: On second look, I'm not sure who's interfering with whom.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Forget the deke. Look at the sweet interference we ran behind the play. The Detroit series is paying off.

EDIT: On second look, I'm not sure who's interfering with whom.

Must be Killorn, he's an underrated pest for real :laugh:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
JT should be in every game, he's been better with the puck for a while now. I'm very impressed.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
His speed and energy is his biggest strength though. I have to admit I had higher hopes for him after his first few games in the NHL. I remember he had that great chance in front of the net on a line with Vinny, couple of dekes in close, spin-moves and always fast and hard to the net.

He kinda changed his game now, you see him dump and chase the puck rather than just blazing by everybody with his insane speed but with the puck on his stick. I guess it's because he's now a 4th liner for us and the coaches tell him to keep it simple, buy time and be a pain in the ass for the opponent. Great to see him excel in the playoffs so far though and especially close games like the double OT game against MTL.

Going forward he really needs to work on his shot. The guy had what, one breakaway every second game of the regular season. The success rate wasn't very high though. It's a little mind-boggling because he seems to have smooth hands and maybe it's a confidence thing but his shot or rather his aiming has been well... underwhelming.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
His chance last night in OT was quintessential JT.

Great positioning, great speed, and no hands. Most skaters in that situation would probably go to their backhand and possibly back to their forehand to put one in. JT didn't really do either.

I think this lack of any handling of the puck on his fast breaks is why he doesn't finish very often. If he added a simple little wrinkle, forehand->backhand->forehand, he'd probably start putting in 12-15 goals/season.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
His chance last night in OT was quintessential JT.

Great positioning, great speed, and no hands. Most skaters in that situation would probably go to their backhand and possibly back to their forehand to put one in. JT didn't really do either.

I think this lack of any handling of the puck on his fast breaks is why he doesn't finish very often. If he added a simple little wrinkle, forehand->backhand->forehand, he'd probably start putting in 12-15 goals/season.

Problem I've seen is that JT uses a huge/long stick (reference is training camp this year) - which probably helps him in his fourth line / defensive forward role. If he used something along the lines of what Johnson/Drouin/Kuch use with a shorter stickhandler's flex stick then maybe he'd have a better shot of potting them in on breakaways.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
The problem with replacing Brown is while you can replace his passing and grit you can't replace his speed.

No you sure can't, in my opinion he's the fastest on the team. I can recall a game last season when he showed a burst of speed that i have never seen, he hit a whole new level.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I like Brown but I think his value to this team is being a little overstated. He sure can fly, but he's a straight line skater who does little to take advantage of his speed. He can easily be replaced, it's foolish to think otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad