Player Discussion: J.T. Brown

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, he's looked really good. Killorn mk. II, except less of a puck possession guy and more of a net-front guy.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Isn't he Conacher with better defense?

Nah, Browns defensive play is on a whole other level, he can PK and he is some pesty elements in his game as well IMO. He reminds me more of Killorn, though not nearly as giftes offensivly, shorter and a little pestier than Killorn.

I also really start to feel bad for Connolly. Every other rookie (except Barberio) has made contributions to the team right away and deserves to stay up. Wether it's Palat and Johnsons defensive play or Panik who is still able to contribute offense and has helped in some key situations (DET OT pass).
Now Brown is in full tilt mode as well and Connolly is neither able to contribute with points nor with exceptional defensive play. He just can't find his groove.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Nah, Browns defensive play is on a whole other level, he can PK and he is some pesty elements in his game as well IMO. He reminds me more of Killorn, though not nearly as giftes offensivly, shorter and a little pestier than Killorn.

Did you not notice you pretty much just described Conacher? He has similar characteristics to Brown, neither are very similar to Killorn IMO. Conacher has better offense, Brown has better defense, Conacher played well defensively last year when the rest of the top-6 could care less.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I also really start to feel bad for Connolly. Every other rookie (except Barberio) has made contributions to the team right away and deserves to stay up. Wether it's Palat and Johnsons defensive play or Panik who is still able to contribute offense and has helped in some key situations (DET OT pass).
Now Brown is in full tilt mode as well and Connolly is neither able to contribute with points nor with exceptional defensive play. He just can't find his groove.

I agree with all of those, although I would add that Barberio was starting to look very good before the injury. Connolly looks like a guy trying to figure out how to fit.

Brown looks a lot stronger than he did in previous years, which I think separates him a bit from Conacher. I don't think there's any part of Brown's game that's not at a solid NHL level right now.

Connolly looks like he has all the separate skills of an NHLer, but they're not a single unit yet. I hope he figures it out.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Honestly, I think he's most analogous to Dana Tyrell. Shows a bit more aggression and shift-to-shift 'hunger', but, size, speed, skills all remind me a lot of Tyrell.

I hope he blooms more than Dana offensively. Based on what I've seen to date (which isn't much), I think he's a career mid-6 hustle guy that plays a smart 2 way game and never breaks 40 points. Everybody needs some of those too though.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He's the first black kid on the teams since Weekes right, so its been like a decade? He looks shifty, a lot like St.Louis IMO. I don't like the Tyrell comparison because I think he is stronger on his skates and obviously has a lot more to offer offensively, but I can see why you made it. His top speed and acceleration are top notch, similar to Johnsons.

Like most burners, He'll need the support of guys like Malone, Panik, and Connolly though because he is going to get eaten up along the walls do to his size. I like that he is willing to get dirty, similar to Conacher in that retrospect, but you can't fake size on the wall.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
JT Brown can surely stick with this team long term as a 3rd line energy player. He has the drive, the speed and the skill to stick for good IMO.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa
Why is J.T. Brown having such a hard time putting the puck away?

I really like this guys game, he is fast, good passer and plays hard but his shots never hit the mark. This would be a good time for him to start sounding the buzzer.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
Brown is faster than his linemates. A lot of his chances are just him going in alone against their D and G, and sadly, his O skills aren't as sharp as Stamkos's. That's why I like the idea of trying him with Stamkos, they are equal in speed. Brown could create an opportunity with his speed, then dish it to 91 to finish, or if 91 draws the D and G's attention it would make it easier for Brown to finish.

Also, Brown doesn't seem to use the forehand to backhand to open the goalies legs, then 5 hole or top corner move, that is fairly common in the league when in close. I don't remember seeing it from Brown anyway.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Probably the same reasons as Kucherov. Holding his stick too tight, going through a slump, confidence, and so on.. He's a rookie.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
No alarms for me, he is a rookie and when you step up a notch against top talent, sometimes your skill set takes a hit. It seems he has all the tools except for the scoring and that could just be an adjustment in shot selection, practice and becoming stronger in those wrists and forearms. Two to three yrs will tell.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think we often make the mistake of assuming skilled guys are going to be big scorers. Brown's probably a bottom six guy, and his finishing abilities are in line with that. That said, given his speed and compete level, he's turning into a very GOOD bottom six guy. I'd be a lot more concerned if he were having trouble in all the other areas of the game. All the chances he gets, really, are just a bonus.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
He'll be fine. Points aside, Brown is one of our most consistent rookies imo.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Anyone that doesn't get points has to go. :)

I think Brown has had enough time. He simply is a bottom 6 guy.

He is just like Dana.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Anyone that doesn't get points has to go. :)

I think Brown has had enough time. He simply is a bottom 6 guy.

He is just like Dana.
His hands are certainly better than Dana - and he creates offense. I don't think he's a lock for a top six, think he'll end up as a second/third tweener, but that's not a bad thing. Not all of our prospects can be Dr. Drej or Drouin.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
You need players for all four lines. Brown is a rich man's third liner, he can score, got speed and is good grinder/checker. This organization has been missing the development of gritty players in the bottom six for a while now - main reason we had to call up Labrie and trade for Crombeen. Malone's regression helps, but some high quality third line tweeners will be good in the development of this team.

ClassicMach

Apr 14, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Hah, funny I should see this thread in my first day in HF in a while.

Had the pleasure of meeting JT's father during the Dallas game actually. I got a buddy on my team from Big D, so we decided to meet a bar in St. Paul to catch the game together, and wouldn't you know it, someone already had the game on the TV, and it was none other than former NFL player Ted Brown.

Onto the topic at hand, it really looks to me like he's too fast for a 3rd liner and too physical and inconsistent up top. As someone said before, he's a tweener who will sprinkle around enough points to contribute at the end of the season. The kid can do it all, but I think he's still adjusting to the NHL game a little bit. He's not as much faster as most players as he was in the AHL. Once his brain can get out front of how fast his play has to be in this level, he'll start to put more on the board.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hah, funny I should see this thread in my first day in HF in a while.

Had the pleasure of meeting JT's father during the Dallas game actually. I got a buddy on my team from Big D, so we decided to meet a bar in St. Paul to catch the game together, and wouldn't you know it, someone already had the game on the TV, and it was none other than former NFL player Ted Brown.

Onto the topic at hand, it really looks to me like he's too fast for a 3rd liner and too physical and inconsistent up top. As someone said before, he's a tweener who will sprinkle around enough points to contribute at the end of the season. The kid can do it all, but I think he's still adjusting to the NHL game a little bit. He's not as much faster as most players as he was in the AHL. Once his brain can get out front of how fast his play has to be in this level, he'll start to put more on the board.

He doesn't have the hands. Plenty of super-speedsters are great third line players. The prototypical third liner was Kris Draper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad