J. Lupul Appreciation thread

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They embrace the tank together as a team. Smart players know what's going on.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
This guy was a beast for a few seasons but like Kessel he's past his prime, we have to accept that our winger depth isn't strong anymore which was why we were a good team at one point. Rebuild is needed around some strong D

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
This guy was a beast for a few seasons but like Kessel he's past his prime, we have to accept that our winger depth isn't strong anymore which was why we were a good team at one point. Rebuild is needed around some strong D

Uh, Kessel past his prime?

The rest I agree with.

But you can book Kessel hasn't had his best statistical season yet. Question is whether it'll be with the TML on the front of his sweater. Remember when everyone thought Ovechkin couldn't play hockey anymore after Washinton's abymsal season?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think that he is the most untradeable player on the team and is one of the biggest cancers. Bozak and JVR can be moved easily, Kessel and Phaneuf you would probably have to eat some salary, but there is clearly a market for them. What team is going to want to add this guy? The Leafs would have to eat a TON of his contract and even then, not many teams want a fragile guy, gutless player, that doesn't produce.

You cannot have this guy on the roster next season.. This is a tough spot to be in for Nonis.

If David Clarkson could be traded.............:D

Thinking that the Leafs might need to retain salary to move Lupul. Maybe if his price was in the bargain category some team might take a chance on him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's the only player on the team who's captain material.

Let's get this trending again: #TrueCaptainLupul

:sarcasm:

He needs to be part time though. I could care less if they ride Lupul out considering his return sounds like junk at this point. I mean for a 4th and another struggling player who cares.

A deal I would make for him though would be Semin and 2nd for Lupul.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
I think we are stuck with him for the next bit save a buyout. I dont see who would trade for him

Well, Lupul was traded twice for Chris Pronger, so perhaps third time is the charm? :laugh:

It's doubtful that Philadelphia would want Lupul back for Pronger's contract, something similar the Leafs did with the Clarkson trade for Horton LTIR salary cap. I believe Pronger's contract is insured, so it is doubtful...but it would be funny if it happened again.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On

The rest I agree with.

But you can book Kessel hasn't had his best statistical season yet. Question is whether it'll be with the TML on the front of his sweater. Remember when everyone thought Ovechkin couldn't play hockey anymore after Washinton's abymsal season?

AT LEAST Ovi tried. And is in shape.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

The rest I agree with.

If Kessel doesn't start taking his training and professional career seriously, like committing some long hours in the gym during the summer months, he will indeed be past his prime. He's too reliant on his natural talent, but he's not getting younger. Star players like Stamkos train their a55 off in the off-season so that they could endure a full NHL season at peak shape and condition.

Rufio65*

He needs to be part time though. I could care less if they ride Lupul out considering his return sounds like junk at this point. I mean for a 4th and another struggling player who cares.

A deal I would make for him though would be Semin and 2nd for Lupul.

Why would Carolina give up a 2nd for Lupul? Swapping Semin and Lupul isn't going to save them much money.

Lupul isn't a "veteran" that you want around for a rebuild.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Moving Lupul for something would be easy: be willing to retain about $2.5M of his salary for each of the next 3 years.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I will be honest, I am very disappointed with Lupul's play. I mean he can't help the "glass" thing, there are a lot of players in the league who aren't durable, but at least before he had an impact. He said basically what we all knew, this is the core's last chance, and because he was very open about it, you'd think at least he'd perform as if he knew this was his last chance to be on the team.

his attitude stinks, his play on the ice stinks and he certainly loves the melodrama. just. go away

This exactly
I used to like him, but now we see when faced with adversity, what kinda guy/player he is

Rufio65*

Moving Lupul for something would be easy: be willing to retain about $2.5M of his salary for each of the next 3 years.

Not very many teams are clamoring for an extremely fragile 31 year old quitter. He's not going to slot in on any contenders top 6 because he's not good enough, and he doesn't have the skill set to be a bottom 6 guy. There's a reason why he wears out his welcome wherever he goes. You are grossly overrating his market IMO. He's turned into a side show. Teams want reliable players and Lupul is not reliable.

BayStBully

Dec 7, 2010
Toronto
Lupul has absolutely destroyed his trade value this year.

He is known as one of the most injury prone players in hockey, hell probably in professional sports.

Finally, he stays healthy this calender year and what has he done? HE HASN'T SCORED A GOAL IN 2015. And he tries fighting people on his instagram. The guy is a clown.

And now you expect a team to commit to him for 3 more years at 5.25 and give up anything of value? Not gonna be easy.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
We're likely stuck with him until he gets a good year and teams desperate for offence at the deadline makes us a decent offer or until he's in the last year of his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad