Signing(s): J.D. Martinez signs with the Red Sox (5 years, $110 million)

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
So all the drama a couple weeks ago of JD whining about the Red Sox in public was just so he could get an extra $2 million a year? Guess it worked but he still didn't get what he and his agent thought he was going to before the offseason.
I don't know the optics of the 5/$100 million contract, but he may have also received his front-loaded opt-out options that weren't included in the previous Red Sox offer.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
That signing made too mach sense to not happen: Dombrowski picked up Martinez from waivers in Detroit and has one of the best bats now. With Fenway Park and three more out of five parks being hitter-friendly, I expect Martinez to thrive in the AL East. If he stays relatively healthy and having two opt-outs, Martinez might very well get these rumored $ 150m during the next six years eventually.

Gruß,
BSHH

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Dumbrowski just couldn't stand going the full off season without some sort of major move.

This could work, but could also blow up in his face very easily.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Another bad contract/questionable move by Dumbrowski.

So either they trade JBJ or attempt to move Hanley (only to fail).

Lackey was the best out of them, but thats not saying much.

Martinez isn't seeing the Outfield and Bradley isn't going anywhere. Hell get a spot start when one of Betts/Bradley/Tendy gets the day off but that's about it. He's gonna be full time DH.

Hanley and Moreland will platoon at 1B. If Hanley gets back to his old self, that lineup can be very dangerous. If not, they sit him and make sure he doesn't get the PA for his vesting option.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Contract is fine. Don't know what some of you are complaining about.

4.2 war in 2014
5.0 war in 2015
1.8 war in 2016 (only 120 games played and -2.7 DWAR)
4.2 War in 2017 (only 120 games played)

If Martinez averages over a 3 WAR or so over the next 2 seasons (should be rather easy) and opts out it is a good deal for the red sox. IF he does not opt out and Sox manage to get 15 or so WAR over the life of the contract that is good value. I don't see why he can't achieve that. He isn't that old.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Martinez isn't seeing the Outfield and Bradley isn't going anywhere. Hell get a spot start when one of Betts/Bradley/Tendy gets the day off but that's about it. He's gonna be full time DH.

Hanley and Moreland will platoon at 1B. If Hanley gets back to his old self, that lineup can be very dangerous. If not, they sit him and make sure he doesn't get the PA for his vesting option.

Platooning Hanley and his 22 million isn't the best idea, why have all that money sit now and then? Then again, Henry throws money around like candy so I wouldn't put it past him.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Platooning Hanley and his 22 million isn't the best idea, why have all that money sit now and then? Then again, Henry throws money around like candy so I wouldn't put it past him.

His contract is a sunk cost and Dombrowski wasn't GM when he signed it. If Hanley isn't one of the two best hitters in their 1B/DH logjam then I doubt the contract will get him any playing time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Who knows, Bora$ probably gave him second thoughts on accepting such a 'cheap' deal, but they're apparently on the verge of another agreement lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad