IX. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
So what's the latest on Campbell? Could he be good to go in the finals?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So what's the latest on Campbell? Could he be good to go in the finals?

Sure sounds like it.

Valley on Monday said he still need to get into a full practice, but it doesn't sound like he's far at all. Game 1 isn't even until Sunday.

Primetimey*

Time to lay a smack down on the terrible Winnipeg Jets prospects.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Ahhh man ... I remember this guy. When we were talking about McKenzie the other day, this is the guy who said McKenzie reminded him of Benn. I think he got a job with a pro service and stopped posting free reports.

Justin Dowling / Swift Current Broncos WHL
LW/C-L / 5-9.5, 182 / 01-Oct-90

Skating: 60 / Skill: 65 / Sense: 60 / Compete: 45 / Tough: 35

Strengths: Very good hands and is creative. Good offensive instincts. Decent skater with some quickness and elusiveness.

Weaknesses: Small and not physical at all.

Quick hands and I like his playmaking ability. Sees the ice well. Good skater and is a little shifty - but you want smallish guys like this to be pretty elite skaters - and he's not quite there. Thinks the game pretty well. Tends to avoid the heavy traffic, but he's not scared out there.

Summary: Higher on my list than the probable consensus on the hope that slick hands and good hockey smarts can carry him into the pro ranks. Might only be a career AHL player, but enough improvement over the last two seasons make him a worthy mid-round gamble to me.

Draft Day: Another guy that probably wouldn't have even got a look in the NHL Draft a decade ago. I think he'll go lower than I have him (probably 5th-7th rounds), but I'll be surprised if he doesn't go somewhere.

Primetimey*

They seriously need to chill on these back to backs. They give like 30 days rest then have three games in four days. It is stupid.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
06/08 - Sunday - at Texas - 7:30 PM CT
06/09 - Monday - at Texas - 7:30 PM CT
06/11 - Wednesday - at St. Johns - 5:00 PM CT
06/16 - Monday - at St. Johns - 5:00 PM CT
06/17 - Tuesday - at St. Johns - 5:00 PM CT
06/19 - Thursday - at Texas - 7:30 PM CT
06/23 - Monday - at Texas - 7:30 PM CT

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Time to lay a smack down on the terrible Winnipeg Jets prospects.

The Winnipeg Jets team was actually the best possession club in the eastern AHL conference for most of the year - It's a strong matchup of teams. We won't have the massive advantage at even strength that we did against Toronto.

So yeah.. Hopefully Campbell is ready, and Nilstorp shakes off whatever demon possessed him in that series. We will need goaltending to win this one.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hmmm .... I may have been wrong he compared him to Benn ... someone did, but here is that guys report on McKenzie ... he loved him.

Curtis McKenzie / Penticton Vees BCHL
RW/LW-L / 6-1.5, 192 / 21-Feb-91

Skating: 55 / Skill: 60 / Sense: 55 / Compete: 65 / Tough: 65

Strengths: Gritty two-way game. Underrated skill. Plays with a lot of fire and likes to throw the body around.

Weaknesses: Skating is so-so at best.

There's so much to like about this player - he can score, he can hit, he drops the gloves, and he shows just enough finesse skill to be really projectable. Scores goals in lots of ways. Has a knack for tips and deflections out front. Doesn't get enough credit for his finesse ability. He can pick the corners on the move or thread some nice passes through traffic.

First step quickness and speed could be better. But has good balance and agility. For the style he plays, I don't think his skating is going to be a problem.

Will go into the dirty areas and compete physically. Plays in all situations and is very responsible defensively. Throws some pretty big open ice hits. Sticks up for his teammates and is pretty good when he drops the gloves.

Summary: I love this guy and don't know why he doesn't get more attention. I may have him way higher than most, but I'd probably start arguing for him with a 2nd round pick. And if I lost that argument and it came back around to the 3rd round and he was still there, I'd flip over the table to get this guy.

Draft Day: I have to believe there's a team or two who see the same things in this guy I do and will take him in the top 75 picks or so.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
The Winnipeg Jets team was actually the best possession club in the eastern AHL conference for most of the year - It's a strong matchup of teams. We won't have the massive advantage at even strength that we did against Toronto.

So yeah.. Hopefully Campbell is ready, and Nilstorp shakes off whatever demon possessed him in that series. We will need goaltending to win this one.

IceCaps roll four solid lines game in game out. All throughout the playoffs opponents who run shorter benches find that the Caps outplay them in the third. Hutchinson has been really good in the playoffs. Most he has given up is 3 (i think). Penguins farm team did not score a PP goal in the Eastern final.

I think that the Stars are the favourites, but don't count out the Caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad