IX. General Stars Talk Always Lands on its Feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
Hope he didn't wreck this.

Edit: Posted this before your edit. I suck!

c82f62286cf911e395010a50c7b90523_8.jpg

That's an amazingly Dallas-esque picture

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Watching the TSN feed for the Stars/Leafs game and they were talking about Garbutt and Eakin both being Winnipeg boys. Then they talked about their fathers playing on the same junior team in Lethbridge...with Lindy Ruff. I went to check it out and see that Willie Desjardins was also on that same team. Am I the last person to know all of this?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I've heard it mentioned before. I'd be lying if it didn't cross my mind on why Garbutt is on the team.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Now you know why Ruff refuses to make Garbutt a healthy scratch.

I just can't believe that at all. It may have something to do with how he got a shot in the first place, but not how he stuck. How many 4th liners in the league have 18 pts? Garbutt had been one of our better forwards in our slump, and while he can't carry the team to wins, he is a nice perk to have who can change a close game on any given night.

His boneheaded penalties are a problem, but they aren't all boneheaded. He is a really good instinctive forechecker who keeps the other team hemmed in, giving the team momentum and letting your top lines start with the puck on the other teams change instead of the other way around and he consistently plays with energy. And he plays with Eakin better than most of our other forwards.

I feel like he was a really good find.

Brand New Stars

If you take away the incredibly dumb penalties he's automatically thrown into the conversation of best 4th liners right? I definitely see why he's here.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If you take away the incredibly dumb penalties he's automatically thrown into the conversation of best 4th liners right? I definitely see why he's here.

That's the issue though ... you can't just ignore the dumb penalties. It's why Ott and Morrow eventually wore out their welcome.

Roussel was able to reign it in for the most part. He slips some, but overall he's better at it than Garbutt.

The older, Ivy League educated guy need to sort that out. Luckily ... Ruff seems to rider him especially hard for those mistakes so you'd think eventually it would stick.

Brand New Stars

Sure, you can't ignore them. However, the orginal question asked was why he's on the team. The effectiveness is already there. The team is probably hoping they can make him get rid of the dumb tendencies. If they can then they have a potential 4th line gem.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Garbutt definitely has a spot on the team, he just needs to stop spending 2 mins in the box every game for dumb infractions.

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
Garbutt definitely has a spot on the team, he just needs to stop spending 2 mins in the box every game for dumb infractions.

Ruff let him know it was dumb last night, which was nice to see. I thought his head was going to pop off. I have faith in Ruff & Co. being able to straighten him out a bit.

aloonda*

I think roussell/eakin/garbutt is a long term line---whatever # you want to give it

if lindy is going to roll lines fairly evenly--then some of the other pups in austin brought up, spend the money for cap on the blueline and lets roll

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I've heard it mentioned before. I'd be lying if it didn't cross my mind on why Garbutt is on the team.
He's a fine fourth line winger and part time scratch. I know this season's goal scoring is a contract-year aberration, but this team has had many more useless 4th liners over the years.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The thing about Garbutt-Eakin-Roussel as a line is that there are opposing ideologies on at least two of those players. I agree that it's an effective line but it just can't be your 2nd line. Garbutt takes too many dumb penalties for those guys to play 15-16 minutes/game. Eakin's future top end potential is often debated here. He's young enough that I think he can grow into a legit 2nd line center, but he's not there yet. Roussel is skilled enough and cerebral enough in the hockey IQ department that I worry less about him playing more minutes than Garbutt, but if he's' on your 2nd line long term he also needs to curb the bad penalties and he definitely ought to be the 3rd best player on that line.

I like what that line brings to the equation but we basically have one 1st line and three 3-4th lines. Long term, if you want to get the most out of Eakin offensively you'll have to hope that Ritchie really blossoms, Chiasson finds his game, or Nichushkin grows into himself and gets moved to Eakin's line to spread the scoring around. We might possibly find another gem in the 1st round this year as well.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
I just can't believe that at all. It may have something to do with how he got a shot in the first place, but not how he stuck. How many 4th liners in the league have 18 pts? Garbutt had been one of our better forwards in our slump, and while he can't carry the team to wins, he is a nice perk to have who can change a close game on any given night.

It was really a joke due to a few here wanting him to sit more because of the boneheaded penalties (not that they would be wrong).

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Modano on Ticketstock said he's having twins, a boy and a girl. Also, says he sometimes thinks about coming back... but figures he'd be out after trying for 5 minutes.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
This team went from vexing to dominant, like between one game and the next.
Confidence. such a big thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad