Prospect Info: Ives 2023 New Jersey Devils Draft Recap

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It's always tough to detach yourself from a draft for long enough to analyze it so soon after the fact. In the past, my recaps have nailed it with many players from Bratt to Gritsyuk to Mercer, but I also graded a couple guys too low, like Vilen and Schmid. The 2023 draft was interesting, as it was the first Devils draft in years where the future of the team is less important than the present -- right now, New Jersey has all the makings of a legit Stanley Cup contender in 2024. So, onto the picks:

2nd Round (58): RW Lenni Hameenaho, Assat FIN
Hameenaho is probably the most unique prospect the Devils have drafted in the past two years. I can't remember ever seeing such a discrepancy between a player's mental and physical sides to their game. This is to say, Hameenaho's hockey IQ is off the charts -- absolutely elite. He anticipates plays on both sides of the puck as well as any player out of Finland in a half decade. He's always in position and not only never makes a dumb play, but I don't think I've ever seen Hameenaho make a not-extremely-smart play. He's just so mature, poised, and adept at the mental part of the game. He's also a heart-and-soul kid -- willing to pay the price in the dirty areas, always battling. He's basically a coaches dream every time on he's on the ice.

However, he's just not a physically gifted athlete in any sense of the word. Although he offers good size at 6'1-185, Hameenaho offers no plus tools. He's not gifted in passing vision, his shot his meh, he's not particularly strong. Most concerning is Hameenaho's skating. I don't want to be down on such a likable player, but the cold, hard fact is Hameenaho is not a "below-average" skater; he's downright sluggish. I'd go so far to say that Hameenaho might be the slowest skating forward taken in the entire 2023 draft. This is going to be a big-time impediment to overcome if Hameenaho is going to make the NHL.

I'd say Hameenaho's upside -- IF he can improve his skating to at least near-average -- is a bottom six forward for this reason. Despite being one of the 3 or 4 smartest players in the entire 2023 class, he just possesses no physical tools which pop, and one huge red flag in skating. For this reason, I'd say Hameenaho would have made a good enough pick in the 4th or 5th round, but certainly not in the 2nd round for a team with no 1st round pick. That's where you swing for the fences, but the Devils chose to sacrifice bunt.

My pick here would have been Riley Heidt, a physical forward with big time offensive upside who should have gone top 20, but wound up going #64 to Minnesota. Though Hameenaho's intelligence gives him a solid floor which belies his athletic limitations, there were at least 50 forwards with more upside available with this pick, and that's no exaggeration. Do I like Hameenaho? Yes. Do I like him as the #58 pick for New Jersey? No. The Devils needed centers and high-upside wingers, and Hameenaho's ultimate ceiling is an NHL bottom 6 RW.
Grade: C-

4th Round (122): RW Cam Squires, Cape Breton QMJHL
Cam Squires is an interesting selection. Though he is also a RW who needs work on his skating, he is not *slow* like Hameenaho, and his calling card is also a high hockey IQ. Squires is also a very slick passer with plus vision. He's a skinny kid at 6'0-160 who will need to work on his core strength to improve his play in puck battles, his skating burst, and his shot which, despite a slick release and very good accuracy, lacks any mustard.

Ultimately, Squires is a project with some upside, which is perfectly fine when drafting in the 120s. He was nearly a PPG player with 64 points in 67 games, and it's safe to expect a big jump in those numbers next season. I like the pick, but ultimately Squires' NHL future will hinge upon his ability to improve his strength and speed to compete in professional hockey.
Grade: B-

5th Round (154): RD Chase Cheslock, Omaha USHL

The Tom Fitzgerald-era Devils seem to be outstanding at drafting defensemen, and Cheslock is the latest great pick at the position. Most of the season, the 6'3-210 rearguard absolutely dominated the Minnesota high school ranks at Rogers HS, scoring at over a PPG clip while being the most dominant defender in USHS hockey. Defense is Cheslock's calling card, after all. He's advanced in his positioning and gaps, especially for a player on his level. This is to say most high school defensemen with draft aspirations dominate at such a level that they leave their positional play behind to strut their stuff. Cheslock is the opposite, just a stifling defensive presence.

Cheslock is abetted not only by his size, but by the fact he features above-average 4-way mobility and excellent athleticism to go along with his freakish strength. He is effectively physical without going out of his way to seek out the big hit. His puck skills also impress -- he passes and shoots well, although sometimes he can bobble pucks. If he has a weakness it's his hands, but it's not any sort of red flag of note.

After his high school season, Cheslock went on to the USHL, where he skated for the Omaha Lancers. It is a very tough transition to go from a regular high school league to a brutally structured, defensive league with 19-20 year olds, but Cheslock barely skipped a beat. He was, in fact, quite good for Omaha in a short, end-season stint.

Cheslock's upside is likely as a third-pairing compliment to an offensive LD with the ability to kill penalties and slot up the roster in case of injury. His size, mobility and solid puck play give him a very reasonable floor as a key AHLer who can fill in capably at the NHL level. This is a very good pick for the 5th round, especially since there might be untapped upside in this type of player, and I might be underselling him. We'll know a lot more about Cheslock after he skates a full season with Omaha in 2023-24.
Grade: A-

6th Round (164): LW Cole Brown, Hamilton OHL

I think the Devils were hoping for a Filmon-type pick with Brown, a rangy 6'3-180 LW with some intriguing skills, notably a plus shot and some nice hands and passing vision. All the tools are there except for the skating, which I'd call average at best. It's safe to say the Devils did not put a premium on skating ability for forwards at the 2023 draft.

Still, for a 6th round pick it's tough to complain about a 6'3 winger with skill and upside who plays a heady and hard-working game. Due to his mental attributes and intangibles, he should be able to carve out a bottom 6 role even if he does not blossom into more of a scorer with increased responsibility next year with the Hamilton Bulldogs. Though he's not nearly as good a player right now as Hameenaho or Squires, his upside might be highest of the three due to his superior athleticism -- but again, this is a player Devils fans will have to be patient with.
Grade: B+

6th Round (186): LD Daniil Karpovich, Yekaterinburg MHL

Typical of the Devils, they waited until the 6th round to get a borderline 1st round value.

Simply put, Karpovich was one of the top 5 or so defensemen for the entire 2023 draft class. Anyone who chooses to debate me on this needs to find me another extremely mobile 6'3-210 blueliner with high end offensive capability both 5x5 and on the PP and a bomb of a shot. Karpovich is a plus puck handler and passer who is excellent at getting pucks on net through traffic and creating offense from the point. He still needs work defensively, but that is not to say he's not a good defender. While Karpovich clearly needs work on (very fixable) problems of gaps and positioning, he's still a plus defender due to his ability to win puck battles, clear creases, and make smart, accurate outlet passes to get his team out of trouble.

It is for these reasons that Karpovich's upside is, well... huge. Had I ranked this year, he probably would have cracked the end of my first round. The kid from Belarus is also a beast when motivated. Though normally he prefers a more finesse-oriented, puck possession game, I watched a couple MHL contests where an opposing forward got under his skin and Karpovich sent them literally flying. He's a big, strong and athletic kid. Certainly, there's a lot of development in store for him, but it's not unreasonable to envision a future stalwart NHLer who can be a two-way beast for a middle pairing.

How can such a player fall to Round 6, you ask? Well, as myself and the extremely prescient @Guadana have lamented at length in recent years, many NHL teams are extremely lax in scouting the MHL, and many draft-writers don't watch MHL hockey at all. It's an outstanding league, just below the CHL and far more competitive than the Swedish or Finnish junior circuits. And Karpovich dominated with an otherworldly 35 points in 47 games on defense while playing far better physically and defensively than most offense-first defenders at the same age.

Also simply put, Daniil Karpovich is potentially the pick which will positively define the New Jersey Devils 2023 draft.
Grade: A+

Look who it is!

8FC0D7A5-DE9A-4D6D-AA83-8DBE18168CD4.gif

Excellent work!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I like Barabosha and I had him in my priority list, but Karpovich is a better player with better potential and better ceiling.
Barabosha and Karpovich were both brilliant picks where NJ landed them.

Karpovich certainly has more offensive upside, but Barabosha has those Radko Gudas qualities which could really be helpful on the Devils one day.

As of today, the Devils might have one of the best LD prospect pools I've ever seen.

1 L. Hughes
2 Vilen
3 Karpovich
4 Orlov
5 Misyul
6 Edwards
7 Zaitsev
8 Vukojevic

When you also consider that Bahl has only just graduated from prospect status? Well, it's just an embarrassing wealth of riches at the position. Better still, RD is also insanely good:

1 Nemec
2 Casey
3 Barabosha
4 McCarthy
5 Cheslock
6 Leddy

People were upset about trading Walsh, but he wouldn't even be in the conversation for a top 5 NJ RD prospect right now.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Barabosha and Karpovich were both brilliant picks where NJ landed them.

Karpovich certainly has more offensive upside, but Barabosha has those Radko Gudas qualities which could really be helpful on the Devils one day.

As of today, the Devils might have one of the best LD prospect pools I've ever seen.

1 L. Hughes
2 Vilen
3 Karpovich
4 Orlov
5 Misyul
6 Edwards
7 Zaitsev
8 Vukojevic

When you also consider that Bahl has only just graduated from prospect status? Well, it's just an embarrassing wealth of riches at the position. Better still, RD is also insanely good:

1 Nemec
2 Casey
3 Barabosha
4 McCarthy
5 Cheslock
6 Leddy

People were upset about trading Walsh, but he wouldn't even be in the conversation for a top 5 NJ RD prospect right now.
Has your opinion on Edwards changed? I remember when we drafted him, you kind of viewed him pretty low.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
At this point, I don't care about drafting position acumen. We are fortunate that lots of minutes are being allocated to great players with cost certainly. So can the draft (1) fill holes, (2) replace UFAs in the future and (3) offer some trade capital? Not can a draft make this team competitive again...

So with Ches, goldfishsandwich, Brown, Squiggly and Lenny...if they get 1 productive player and 1 asset somewhere...I am happy.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Fitz and company must really see something in Hameenaho they like. Maybe they believe with NHL caliber training he can improve his physical game enough to let him really exploit his mental attributes. Or maybe they think that he's going to be good enough mentally that he'll outperform his physical restrictions. We can hope!

At this point, I don't care about drafting position acumen. We are fortunate that lots of minutes are being allocated to great players with cost certainly. So can the draft (1) fill holes, (2) replace UFAs in the future and (3) offer some trade capital? Not can a draft make this team competitive again...

So with Ches, goldfishsandwich, Brown, Squiggly and Lenny...if they get 1 productive player and 1 asset somewhere...I am happy.
I think this is a good mindset. The more assets the better.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Always appreciate your thoughts, especially on the later rounders.

Interesting to hear Dennehy say that they had a 1st round grade on Lenni. I wonder if they would have taken him at #26, since Fitz has shown he not scared of going a little off the board in the late 1st round.

I’m not a fan of these “big smart guys who can’t skate” like him and Salminen, but clearly they see something in these guys that they value. I don’t really get it, but this scouting department has earned the benefit of the doubt IMO.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Where we got Barabosha last year was a steal imo....You guys both being high on Karpovich is good to see.....You and STI add great insight to this forum much appreciated ty...
Of course it was. A lot of players with potential to be role players with 10 points upside is going earlier. At least we have a player with some potential of defensive minutes third pair stay at home guy with mobility and active physicality.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Hey Steven Its not a Devils question but I was wondering what your thoughts are about the Reinbacher pick the Habs made. The Habs Board is basically on fire right now with people switching their fandom to Flyers, Saying that they are going to watch more KHL hockey then the Habs and creating conspiracies about the owner of the team and how its all his fault.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
"Drop in" haha. I feel like that's a backhanded slight for my absence from draft writing this year. My sensitive feelings are bruised.

I keed, I keed. Glad you gave your writeups on the kids we drafted, that’s about as much attention as I’m going to pay to them atm for obvious reasons (being a win now team, only having one pick in the first three rounds, etc)

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I'm glad we atleast got a potential stud with our last pick. I still think we can get some quality players potentially with all the other players we took. I didn't have big expectations for this draft but I'm not a fan of seeing Hameenaho being such a poor skater. He has a good hockey mind it seems. If he puts in the work he can develop better physical skills/tools. He was ranked pretty highly on many sites so it's safe to say we didn't really take a gamble with him in the 2nd round. He just needs to become an average skater which will be a challenge but I still like what I see from him so far.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Has your opinion on Edwards changed? I remember when we drafted him, you kind of viewed him pretty low.
Edwards has greatly improved at Michigan, both in his overall defensive play and decision-making in choosing his spots offensively. He's really built up his core strength and physical confidence to the point where he's become a rather devastating hitter. I think Edwards' upside is still as a 3rd pairing guy -- and obviously he won't get that chance in New Jersey -- but he's worked his way up to becoming an NHL possibility.

So yes, my opinion has changed. I'd still say his likely future is as a very good AHLer who plays some NHL games, but he's certainly got a shot.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Where we got Barabosha last year was a steal imo....You guys both being high on Karpovich is good to see.....You and STI add great insight to this forum much appreciated ty...
If I've been good at anything in all my years draft writing, it's been identifying sleepers and especially undervalued (by the draft consensus) defensemen. This is of course no guarantee that Barabosha or Karpovich become studs in the NHL, but it certainly makes their development worth monitoring.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Fitz and company must really see something in Hameenaho they like. Maybe they believe with NHL caliber training he can improve his physical game enough to let him really exploit his mental attributes. Or maybe they think that he's going to be good enough mentally that he'll outperform his physical restrictions. We can hope!

I think this is a good mindset. The more assets the better.
My guess is Hameenaho interviewed exceptionally well. This is an extraordinarily smart kid. Because of this trait, I feel he is a good bet to outperform his physical limitations, as he did last year playing in the Finnish men's league as a teenager.

The caveat is that this is a player with myriad physical limitations. Hameenaho lacks a standout physical skill and really struggles in terms of skating. Again, this is why I really liked him as a late round prospect. My criticism is that there is no way on earth he was the best player available where the Devils took him in the 2nd round.

Ideally, we'll get a kid in 3/4 years who can contribute two-ways in the bottom six. But I'd caution that the versatility isn't there -- he's too heavy-footed to employ on the PK and lacks the high-end skill for a PP. Ideally, he'll be "a guy" -- good in the locker room and playing mistake free, 200-foot hockey and chipping in a few points here and there.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Always appreciate your thoughts, especially on the later rounders.

Interesting to hear Dennehy say that they had a 1st round grade on Lenni. I wonder if they would have taken him at #26, since Fitz has shown he not scared of going a little off the board in the late 1st round.

I’m not a fan of these “big smart guys who can’t skate” like him and Salminen, but clearly they see something in these guys that they value. I don’t really get it, but this scouting department has earned the benefit of the doubt IMO.
I'm a huge fan of the current Devils front office, as everyone who has read me over the past 4 years must be aware of.

However, drafting outside the top 20 has been a bit touch-and-go, though the Devils have generally improved. There were some disastrous picks in the first two years of Fitzgerald's reign -- Shlaine and Baumgartner in 2020 were tantamount to burning picks for nothing, while 2021 picks Salminen and Hurtig were arguably even worse. 2022 was a great draft which I lauded at length. But 2023 has to be considered a step back in terms of getting value for the picks, mostly due to Hameenaho. When you only have one pick in the first 120 picks, you absolutely MUST swing for the fences in that spot, but the Devils laid down a sacrifice bunt.

I'd say the problem is pretty clearly that our Finnish scouting team does not particularly value skating acumen when evaluating forwards. The Devils' foremost strengths this year and going forward are speed and skill, we're a tough team to play due to our breakneck pace. Loading up on picks who slow the whole thing down does not seem to make much sense to me, especially when the slower players we've taken (especially both Finnish forwards) do not offer other high-end tools to make up for this lack of foot speed in other respects, like for instance an Alex Holtz.

Last year NJ drafted another "meh" skating forward in Petr Hauser, but at least Hauser featured elite size and shooting. This year the Devils took two more forwards who aren't exactly burners in Squires and Brown. The Devils have now taken 8 forwards in the past three drafts and the only ones I would consider "plus skaters" are Stillman and Filmon.

Ultimately, I think Fitzgerald is trying to build a heavier, more well-rounded team but again, the only forwards out of the 8 we've taken 2021-23 who play a "heavy" or interior game are Stillman, Bardakov and Hauser.

In sum, I do not think Hameenaho was a "wasted" pick. Again, I really like the kid. He's a big upgrade at a similar draft position over a guy like Salminen, who only has a very remote chance of making the NHL to me. But -- and this is my point here -- if your scouting team is rating a guy with 3.0 skating on a 1-10 scale as a first round pick, it's time to re-evaluate how your scouts are rating the forwards completely.

Camille the Eel

Watching Vegas win the cup this year, one had to be struck with how necessary basic speed, skating, size and facility are in today's game. Throughout the roster in today's NHL you want to be as athletic as possible. From that point of view a lot of the forwards the Devils have been drafting lately make little sense. And as you point out, they don't fit the mold of what's making us exceptional at the moment.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hey Steven Its not a Devils question but I was wondering what your thoughts are about the Reinbacher pick the Habs made. The Habs Board is basically on fire right now with people switching their fandom to Flyers, Saying that they are going to watch more KHL hockey then the Habs and creating conspiracies about the owner of the team and how its all his fault.
First of all, it's important to say that I don't recommend anyone becoming a Flyers fan under any circumstances whatsoever.

That being said, you pose an excellent question.

Matvei Michkov was the second best player in the 2023 draft. Hands down. In 2022 or 2021 or 2020, Michkov would have been the best player in the draft. Hands down.

The kid is special. He scores goals with the ease most people have scratching their nose. He's a generational talent, a prodigal goal-scorer with elite passing and puck handling skills. He's the second best player drafted this entire decade thus far. He was, quite simply, born to score. I wouldn't even say multiple 50+ goal seasons is his upside, because it's probably even higher than that.

Clearly, Chicago gets a pass for not drafting him because, remarkably, Bedard is even better at scoring goals. And we can also give a bit of a pass to Anaheim and Columbus for drafting surefire stud #1 centers who both also would have gone #1 overall the past three drafts in Fantilli and Carlsson.

As for Montreal and Arizona? There's no excuse for passing on this sort of talent. He'd be the highest-upside kid Montreal drafted since at the very least Guy LaFleur, and the most talented player ever to don an Arizona jersey as soon as he touched one.

Look, I'm not putting down the guys these teams picked. Reinbacher was the best RD in the 2023 draft and Simashev was the best LD in the 2023 draft, and there wasn't a close second in either case. But neither is generational, plain and simple. Reinbacher is not displacing Jiricek or Nemec as a top 2 RD prospect, while Simashev is not displacing Luke Hughes or Edvinsson as a top 2 LD prospect.

Two days ago, before the draft began, I'd say the #1 NHL prospect was Luke Hughes. Now? Hughes is my #4, behind Bedard, Michkov and Fantilli. As much as I like Reinbacher and Simashev, they're just not on this tier.

So yes Virginia, Montreal blew it. They got a very good RD in Reinbacher, no doubt about it. But if they showed any patience or guts they would've taken Michkov. This is not a team ready compete next year or the year after. They could have waited three seasons -- when they're potentially ready to turn the corner -- and gotten potentially the best rookie forward since Teemu Selanne. I really don't know what they were thinking and we're all just speculating thinking we know anything about it when we don't.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I'd disagree with you a bit on Hameenaho. I don't think the skating is near as bad as you're portraying, he's not the fastest in a straight line but his agility and edgework are decent.

I'd also disagree that his upside is nothing more than a bottom 6er and that he doesn't doesn't flash in terms of tools. Sure, he won't ever be a high end playmaker but I think he actually flashes a lot of different skills across the board, even if he struggles to consistently implement them into his game. I also think it's important to note that his level of competition for his age, playing 15 mins a night in Liiga and being the only draft eligible Finn to play in the WJC is a tough environment to play when you're still honing your skillset.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I'd disagree with you a bit on Hameenaho. I don't think the skating is near as bad as you're portraying, he's not the fastest in a straight line but his agility and edgework are decent.

I'd also disagree that his upside is nothing more than a bottom 6er and that he doesn't doesn't flash in terms of tools. Sure, he won't ever be a high end playmaker but I think he actually flashes a lot of different skills across the board, even if he struggles to consistently implement them into his game. I also think it's important to note that his level of competition for his age, playing 15 mins a night in Liiga and being the only draft eligible Finn to play in the WJC is a tough environment to play when you're still honing your skillset.
The one thing that will continue to pay off throughout his career is his confidence. He has no shortage of it. He currently is raw and has a lot of development left, but his willingness to try risky passes, go to the dirty areas even though he gets outmuscled most of the time right now, and the occasional flashy move around a defender has me confident that his continued skill development will translate seamlessly to the way he currently operates around the ice. A lot of players shy away from trying things they will fail at, but because of his smarts, he always knows what the right play is, and whether or not he completes it, at the bare minimum, he will at least go for it.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
The one thing that will continue to pay off throughout his career is his confidence. He has no shortage of it. He currently is raw and has a lot of development left, but his willingness to try risky passes, go to the dirty areas even though he gets outmuscled most of the time right now, and the occasional flashy move around a defender has me confident that his continued skill development will translate seamlessly to the way he currently operates around the ice. A lot of players shy away from trying things they will fail at, but because of his smarts, he always knows what the right play is, and whether or not he completes it, at the bare minimum, he will at least go for it.
I'd definitely agree with that, Liiga is not an easy league for young players and he was not shy about trying to make plays all over the ice, in particular his willingness to trust his instincts and jump passing lanes, which is not a trait you see out of most draft eligible players, let alone one who's playing in a highly competitive pro league. If I were to throw out a possible upside comparison his style of play isn't too dissimilar to Ondrej Palat.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I wonder if the scouting department thinks they can work with him on his skating. I feel we say this all the time with guys like Holtz etc but the team has shown they're more than willing to put work into players to try and get them to excel. If Hameenaho has all of those tools that you can't teach, perhaps they're hoping the stuff you can teach will help him excel. Mercer doesn't have any outstanding traits aside from his dogged approach to pucks and his ability to find soft ice. If Hameenaho is similar I can see him carving out a spot like you said a few years down the line.

Thanks for the write up. I've been skipping a lot of draft previews because of our pick situation I doubted anyone we got would ever be spoken about, so it's nice seeing good coverage of late round picks. Hoping we got our Belarusian Jesper Bratt but Defense steal in the 6th

Reactions: Guadana

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Cool, glad to hear this alternative viewpoint.

What I keep repeating with Hameenaho is I actually really like him very much as a player. He's just so incredibly smart. But every top 6 forward in the NHL has a standout physical tool or two. Hameenaho's shot, passing and puck skills are all decent enough, sure, but it's tough to argue that any of them really pop. On the ten scale, I'd say Hameenaho is 6's across the board with a 9.5 in hockey IQ, a 9.0 in compete and maybe a 3.5 in skating. This is what makes him so difficult to project, it's just an usual array of numbers for an NHL prospect.

What Hameenaho has accomplished thus far in his amateur career is truly impressive. We can only hope he continues to defy expectation. But I have a difficult time believing he can deny limited athleticism enough to carve out a top 6 role in the NHL. I of course hope he proves me wrong, but I've been doing this prospect analysis stuff a long time and can count on one hand how many NHL forwards have become successful scorers at the top of the lineup despite poor skating and no discernible plus tools aside from intangibles. Many have become good 3rd/4th liners, however, so there's that.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder if the scouting department thinks they can work with him on his skating. I feel we say this all the time with guys like Holtz etc but the team has shown they're more than willing to put work into players to try and get them to excel. If Hameenaho has all of those tools that you can't teach, perhaps they're hoping the stuff you can teach will help him excel. Mercer doesn't have any outstanding traits aside from his dogged approach to pucks and his ability to find soft ice. If Hameenaho is similar I can see him carving out a spot like you said a few years down the line.

Thanks for the write up. I've been skipping a lot of draft previews because of our pick situation I doubted anyone we got would ever be spoken about, so it's nice seeing good coverage of late round picks. Hoping we got our Belarusian Jesper Bratt but Defense steal in the 6th
Your welcome for the write-up, and thanks for the kind words.

I would strongly caution you, however, on the Mercer comparison. Mercer has dynamically great hands, is a plus shooter with plus passing vision. Hameenaho has none of these traits. Mercer can skate circles around Hameenaho. The only thing these two players have in common is they're both absolutely elite with the intangibles across the board.

Again, I am not doubting Hameenaho's ability to make the NHL -- he's just so incredibly smart and such a hard-working young man. But I have a very difficult time envisioning him ever carving out a role above a bottom 6, and that's why I criticized a #58 pick in a draft where he was NJ's only pick in the top 120.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Interestingly his Avto team mate, fellow 6'3" d-man Nikita Ishimnikov, who put up half as many points( in 6 less games) went in the 5th round to Colorado.

Ishimnikov did have a big playoffs though. 2-4-6 in 7 gp. 1-1-2 for Karpovich.

Ishimnikov also had a better +/- in the reg season(+15 vs +8) and much better in the playoffs, (+6 vs -9). The respective best and worst on the team in the playoffs.

Sorry this turned a little negative, started off the search loving that reg season point differential.

Edit: To get this back on the positive, Karpovich was much more highly rated by the draft boards, Ishimnikov didn't make most boards, and was pretty low when he did.

I don't see ANY problem of drafting Karpovich. Even if we decide to think that Ishimnikov is a better prospect now.

I see different problem. With Cheslok, after whom Colorado drafted Ishimnikov.
Ishimnikiv is better skater, better puck handler, better passer in the moment than Cheslock. He is pro active, smart positionally, can give you an impact on both sides of the rink. And he is big too. AND HE IS RD! He is no brainer better prospect than Cheslock and he will have opportunity to play in more competitive leagues in two three years.
If devils scouted Karpovich, they saw both. And why they drafted Cheslock?!

I'm on the way with my thoughts on the draft, but I have a lot of issues. Like A LOT.

I understand that Fitz want to try to find his role players to not lose first round picks for them on deadlines, but he could find players with really higher potential that could give us depth of scoring/playmaking and faster pace of the game.

And Ishimnikov is just a better player of the same position, faster/better with the puck/playing in more competitive league/better and faster thinking/has more upside/is big and very good skater with/without the puck. And he was drafted by Colorado one pick after Cheslock.

I'm not a fan at all.

Second round pick Lenny? I want and will root for him, but now its a very bad pick on my taste.

And what is going on with our center depth? I have a lot of questions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad