Prospect Info: Ives 2022 Top 100 NHL Draft Rankings (Spring Edition, 2.0)

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Wheeler: 10 NHL Draft prospects of interest who missed my top-100 rankings

Guys who just missed his top 100.

For me, it seems like teams should do their due diligence and/or gamble on guys like Steele and Nadeau with their late round picks.

Taking guys with traditional profiles in the 5th round means you’d got the ~120th best traditional pick. Take a guy who looks like he’s 12 years old on the ice or hasn’t played in competitive leagues gives you an opportunity to find a win with the only guy who fits their small/odd profile.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

For me, it seems like teams should do their due diligence and/or gamble on guys like Steele and Nadeau with their late round picks.

Taking guys with traditional profiles in the 5th round means you’d got the ~120th best traditional pick. Take a guy who looks like he’s 12 years old on the ice or hasn’t played in competitive leagues gives you an opportunity to find a win with the only guy who fits their small/odd profile.
Absolutely. I go boom or bust in the later rounds. If you go traditional, you'll be lucky to draft an ECHL player.

In fact, I'd start even in the 3rd round, depending on who's left.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
This name is already "TM" for Toronto GM.

55.jpeg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Absolutely. I go boom or bust in the later rounds. If you go traditional, you'll be lucky to draft an ECHL player.

In fact, I'd start even in the 3rd round, depending on who's left.
Or, you can just draft a bunch of the STI sleepers. If I've got two strengths as a draft writer, it's projecting defensemen and digging up draft sleepers. There are a whole bunch this year.

NewGenScout

Apr 22, 2022
Well what about the 69th pick then? He wouldn't be a reach then, would he?
No chance that Dumais is available in the 4th round with what we hear on the street and the private combine that he is attenting right now. He won’t end up in Jersey if you wait that long. Anyways, he would fit in better in the Big Apple or his homerown for different reasons.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I don't really agree with this theory. You take the guy that's 120th best because everyone in that range can improve greatly and end up close to the top of their draft, the hard part is figuring out which ones.

That's how we got guys like Bratt, Gritsyuk, Thompson, and Zetterlund. We weren't swinging for the fences or taking guys that looked like 12 year olds, we were just taking the best skaters available at those picks and they popped.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don't really agree with this theory. You take the guy that's 120th best because everyone in that range can improve greatly and end up close to the top of their draft, the hard part is figuring out which ones.

That's how we got guys like Bratt, Gritsyuk, Thompson, and Zetterlund. We weren't swinging for the fences or taking guys that looked like 12 year olds, we were just taking the best skaters available at those picks and they popped.
I think there is an argument Bratt is a little untraditional himself in 2016 because of how small he was. There are reasons Alex Nylander goes in the first round and Bratt goes in the 6th round; one of those reasons is Bratt being small.

Thompson and Zetterlund look like probable NHL players but they’re probably not significant needle movers.

Gritsyuk was also tiny but in 2019 those were starting to be drafted a little more commonly.

——————-

I think the point still holds, and Bratt is likely a point in favor, taking guys with points, stand out skills, or unusual circumstances is a better use of late round picks than taking the next guy who is generally ok at a lot of stuff.

62B19903-AF34-4A64-B406-EFB81FF85639.jpeg

Reactions: Triumph and My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Bratt and Grits were probably the best actual skaters at their respective spots. And it's more and more a skating league, so it makes sense.

Z has good straight ahead speed but is also a strong guy. I tend to think we need to focus on size and strength, at least a little, but whoever these big guys are, they need to be able to skate.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I think there is an argument Bratt is a little untraditional himself in 2016 because of how small he was. There are reasons Alex Nylander goes in the first round and Bratt goes in the 6th round; one of those reasons is Bratt being small.

Thompson and Zetterlund look like probable NHL players but they’re probably not significant needle movers.

Gritsyuk was also tiny but in 2019 those were starting to be drafted a little more commonly.

——————-

I think the point still holds, and Bratt is likely a point in favor, taking guys with points, stand out skills, or unusual circumstances is a better use of late round picks than taking the next guy who is generally ok at a lot of stuff.

View attachment 557401

We might be talking past each other, but to me, drafting Bratt isn't swinging for the fences, it's just taking the best available player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We might be talking past each other, but to me, drafting Bratt isn't swinging for the fences, it's just taking the best available player.
Pop's is probably a good example of a guy we took a home run swing on, but whiffed.

As to the above though, he was not a good skater. Given how it played out probably didn't love the game, nor did he want to work to put in the work to make a career of it.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Bratt and Grits were probably the best actual skaters at their respective spots. And it's more and more a skating league, so it makes sense.

Z has good straight ahead speed but is also a strong guy. I tend to think we need to focus on size and strength, at least a little, but whoever these big guys are, they need to be able to skate.

Bratt and Gritsyuk were different though.

If anything Gritsyuk dropped because of his skating, which was fine in terms of form, but weak in terms of acceleration and speed.

In his Hockey Prospect grades in 2019 (they ranked him 57):
Hockey Sense: 7
Compete: 6
Skill: 6
Skating: 5
The scale is 3-9: 7 is Very Good, 6 is Good, 5 is Average

It was his size/strength and lack of elite skating to make up for his size that caused Gritsyuk to drop.

Quotes:
“He competes hard during puck-races and can-out pace opposing defenses but there’s still a separating gear he lacks at this time. This extends to his first-step which also doesn’t have the power to remain as elusive as we would like, given his frame. However his hockey sense compensated for a lot of his weaknesses, which is why we have ranked him at the back-half of our list.” (They only ranked 108 players in 2019.)

His strengths were he was always an exceptionally smart and skilled player who works hard & had a nice shot to boot. He’s a small player who’s just really good at hockey.

His skating form was fine though and speed is something you can gain with strength, which was what Gritsyuk needed to do to get over the hump to compete in the KHL.

Hockey Prospects ranked Bratt at 100 in 2016, out of 211, they have shortened the ranked lists more recently.

They didn’t have scores then but the first thing they mention is Bratt “plays a high paced game with the ability to execute at top speed”.

“He is one of the biggest one on one threats in transition, has a rare ability to deke out defensemen and tremendous agility.”

“His quick decision making keeps up with his great skating ability, and together with patience and vision allows him to be a good playmaker.”

“His accurate wrist shot is definitely a legit threat, but Jesper is a passer more than a goal scorer.”

So why only 100? Needs to get more involved with puck battles, “it looks like he doesn’t like getting his nose dirty, especially along the boards”, didn’t like his defense or compete level, blah blah. Bratt was a boom or bust pick though.

Mark Edwards has a bitchy quote “He catches my attention with some flash and dash but he’s a guy I liked less with every viewing. He’s got skill but need to be a more complete player. Not competitive enough. One of our Euro scouts called him this year’s Bracco.”

I actually bought their 2016 book (along with a bunch of early ones) maybe a year ago just for some hindsight fun. They had McLeod at 19 but Mark Edwards did hit a bullseye with his description here (and he probably saw a lot more OHL hockey in 2016).

Hope you can make that out because I don’t want to transcribe the the whole thing.:

CF2E923E-D3D4-43B3-9CE5-CD0F7DDA6F28.jpeg

Also lol:
04FF2427-A807-484A-B81D-6A849071F21E.jpeg

Zetterlund was ranked 176 in 2017 (out of 217) and is described as “an explosive skater who can generate very good top speed”.

“This speed is his best asset, as he consistently is stretching the ice or attacking the net, forcing the opposition to defend. In viewings this season he found himself on a lot of odd man rushes, and was a player who seemed around the puck on most shifts. He combines this speed with a very good motor, as he has a strong desire to retrieve pucks and forecheck. Another asset that helps his forechecking skills is his ability to change directions, and stop and start.”

They mention him playing bigger than his 5’11” height “as he has no trouble using his body to drive to the net and protect the puck”.

“He has a quick release that can surprise goalies and can score from a distance. As well, he can shoot the puck when at top speed and get the puck up quickly around the net.”

The best quote might be “Fabian’s best offensive asset is his feet and his other skills are complementary”.

“Sometimes when he drives the net, he looks out of control and his feet may move quicker than his mind and hands can keep up, but he still manages to create quality shots.” Still true lol.

“Zetterlund needs open space and time to take advantage of skating skills to produce offense. He’s not as impactful offensively in the cycle game or in tight areas. His on-ice vision with the puck allows him to make easy plays but he has not shown that he can create quality chances for his teammates on a consistent basis. Overall, Zetterlund can be an impactful player at the next level as a third or forth liner because of his speed, work ethic and good forechecking skills.”

Solid call there, even in the AHL with more minutes that’s basically his game in a nutshell now.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

If anything Gritsyuk dropped because of his skating, which was fine in terms of form, but weak in terms of acceleration and speed.

It was his size/strength and lack of elite skating to make up for his size that caused Gritsyuk to drop.

Quotes:
“He competes hard during puck-races and can-out pace opposing defenses but there’s still a separating gear he lacks at this time. This extends to his first-step which also doesn’t have the power to remain as elusive as we would like, given his frame. However his hockey sense compensated for a lot of his weaknesses, which is why we have ranked him at the back-half of our list.” (They only ranked 108 players in 2019.)

His strengths were he was always an exceptionally smart and skilled player who works hard & had a nice shot to boot. He’s a small player who’s just really good at hockey.

His skating form was fine though and speed is something you can gain with strength, which was what Gritsyuk needed to do to get over the hump to compete in the KHL.

Hockey Prospects ranked Bratt at 100 in 2016, out of 211, they have shortened the ranked lists more recently.

They didn’t have scores then but the first thing they mention is Bratt “plays a high paced game with the ability to execute at top speed”.

“He is one of the biggest one on one threats in transition, has a rare ability to deke out defensemen and tremendous agility.”

“His quick decision making keeps up with his great skating ability, and together with patience and vision allows him to be a good playmaker.”

“His accurate wrist shot is definitely a legit threat, but Jesper is a passer more than a goal scorer.”

So why only 100? Needs to get more involved with puck battles, “it looks like he doesn’t like getting his nose dirty, especially along the boards”, didn’t like his defense or compete level, blah blah. Bratt was a boom or bust pick though.

Mark Edwards has a bitchy quote “He catches my attention with some flash and dash but he’s a guy I liked less with every viewing. He’s got skill but need to be a more complete player. Not competitive enough. One of our Euro scouts called him this year’s Bracco.”

I actually bought their 2016 book (along with a bunch of early ones) maybe a year ago just for some hindsight fun. They had McLeod at 19 but Mark Edwards did hit a bullseye with his description here (and he probably saw a lot more OHL hockey in 2016).

Hope you can make that out because I don’t want to transcribe the the whole thing.:

View attachment 557433
Also lol:
View attachment 557435

Zetterlund was ranked 176 in 2017 (out of 217) and is described as “an explosive skater who can generate very good top speed”.

“This speed is his best asset, as he consistently is stretching the ice or attacking the net, forcing the opposition to defend. In viewings this season he found himself on a lot of odd man rushes, and was a player who seemed around the puck on most shifts. He combines this speed with a very good motor, as he has a strong desire to retrieve pucks and forecheck. Another asset that helps his forechecking skills is his ability to change directions, and stop and start.”

They mention him playing bigger than his 5’11” height “as he has no trouble using his body to drive to the net and protect the puck”.

“He has a quick release that can surprise goalies and can score from a distance. As well, he can shoot the puck when at top speed and get the puck up quickly around the net.”

The best quote might be “Fabian’s best offensive asset is his feet and his other skills are complementary”.

“Sometimes when he drives the net, he looks out of control and his feet may move quicker than his mind and hands can keep up, but he still manages to create quality shots.” Still true lol.

“Zetterlund needs open space and time to take advantage of skating skills to produce offense. He’s not as impactful offensively in the cycle game or in tight areas. His on-ice vision with the puck allows him to make easy plays but he has not shown that he can create quality chances for his teammates on a consistent basis. Overall, Zetterlund can be an impactful player at the next level as a third or forth liner because of his speed, work ethic and good forechecking skills.”

Solid call there, even in the AHL with more minutes that’s basically his game in a nutshell now.
this is all from the NHL Draft Black Books HP puts out?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Quotes:

View attachment 557433
Also lol:
View attachment 557435

Good stuff.

I was basically assuming Grits was a good skater given his size. Have to admit, and I've been saying this a bunch recently, but I don't like the small size and meh skating combo. He works hard at least.

The call on McLeod does look dead on.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Good stuff.

I was basically assuming Grits was a good skater given his size. Have to admit, and I've been saying this a bunch recently, but I don't like the small size and meh skating combo. He works hard at least.

The call on McLeod does look dead on.
Gritsyuk looked like a solid skater to me during the last WJC he played. I watched each of those games and he never lagged or struggled with the pace. I haven't watched him in the KHL but my guess is that as he has matured and added a bit of strength his good form allowed him to take some advantage of the increased strength. If he went from a 5 skater to roughly a 6 that's probably enough to allow him to use his other skills.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Gritsyuk looked like a solid skater to me during the last WJC he played. I watched each of those games and he never lagged or struggled with the pace. I haven't watched him in the KHL but my guess is that as he has matured and added a bit of strength his good form allowed him to take some advantage of the increased strength. If he went from a 5 skater to roughly a 6 that's probably enough to allow him to use his other skills.
A small guy though you want to see some electricity in his skating. We see it in Bratt. We see it in Hughes. I think small guys need to be able to do more then not lag the play.

Guys who did lack real zip? Goose is a clear obvious one, but he was a softee, so if Grits has a motor that helps.

Smith and Butcher, but those guys clearly lag, and are d-men, so maybe it's more damning..

I wonder about Holtz.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
No chance that Dumais is available in the 4th round with what we hear on the street and the private combine that he is attenting right now. He won’t end up in Jersey if you wait that long. Anyways, he would fit in better in the Big Apple or his homerown for different reasons.
Yeah, as much as I personally like Dumais, if I'm running the Devils draft he's not a target on draft day.

Due to some very questionable mid and late round drafting over the past two years, the Devils have serious organizational needs with RD, depth C and interior/power Fs being a huge priority. So, although I'm always looking to veer off strategy if a huge surprise fell to #69 like an Adam Sykora or Viktor Neuchev, if all things go as expected I'm going to use that pick on a RD like Noah Warren or a C like Logan Morrison or a power F like Reid Schaefer.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

My own late round draft philosophy is to go for the highest ceiling or the highest floor. In the 2019 Devils draft -- which was outstanding -- the Devils did both back to back with picks of Gritsyuk and Moynihan.

I look for guys with high tools who lack singular uncorrectable weaknesses, or guys whose limited production was situational, or guys with elite intangibles -- who can be found throughout the draft. No one's going to be right 100% of the time, but think of how much better the Devils prospect pool would be if they had taken Dmitri Rashevsky instead of Benjamin Baumgartner -- or Matvey Petrov instead of Viktor Hurtig. Every pick matters.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Pop's is probably a good example of a guy we took a home run swing on, but whiffed.

As to the above though, he was not a good skater. Given how it played out probably didn't love the game, nor did he want to work to put in the work to make a career of it.
Popugayev was a good pick which did not work out. It happens. But at the spot we drafted him (4th round), he was easily the biggest-upside talent available. He just never raised his compete level, on or off the ice.

NewGenScout

Apr 22, 2022
Yeah, as much as I personally like Dumais, if I'm running the Devils draft he's not a target on draft day.

Due to some very questionable mid and late round drafting over the past two years, the Devils have serious organizational needs with RD, depth C and interior/power Fs being a huge priority. So, although I'm always looking to veer off strategy if a huge surprise fell to #69 like an Adam Sykora or Viktor Neuchev, if all things go as expected I'm going to use that pick on a RD like Noah Warren or a C like Logan Morrison or a power F like Reid Schaefer.
Yeah, I don’t think that he’s for you. He would fit in way better somewhere else. Those skilled small players can become superstars, but the organization they end up with matters a lot.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, I don’t think that he’s for you. He would fit in way better somewhere else. Those skilled small players can become superstars, but the organization they end up with matters a lot.
I agree 100%. I'm confident Dumais has very real offensive potential, particularly if he can improve his core strength and skating to a reasonable degree. But I feel a team desperate for this type of offensive potential is likely to swing for the fences on Dumais in the 3rd round, maybe the 2nd, and the Devils have too many pronounced needs to fill to be taking a "luxury" pick of another finesse forward so early in the 2022 draft.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I was fortunate to watch the OHL championships today -- with Hamilton beating Windsor 3-2 to take a 3 games to 2 lead in the series.

Mason McTavish was absolutely heroic. It's simply unbelievable how certain draft analysts were trying to slag him last year leading up to the draft. The kid is unbelievable -- his mix of skill, physicality and high end scoring ability is simply phenomenal.

I feel the OHL playoff MVP is a battle between Windsor' Wyatt Johnston -- a steal for Dallas in the 1st round last year -- and Hamilton's Logan Morrison -- somehow undrafted last year. Johnston scored again today and was brilliant as usual, while Morrison's two-assist, two-way performance garnered him second star behind McTavish.

Reactions: Guadana

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
I was fortunate to watch the OHL championships today -- with Hamilton beating Windsor 3-2 to take a 3 games to 2 lead in the series.

Mason McTavish was absolutely heroic. It's simply unbelievable how certain draft analysts were trying to slag him last year leading up to the draft. The kid is unbelievable -- his mix of skill, physicality and high end scoring ability is simply phenomenal.

I feel the OHL playoff MVP is a battle between Windsor' Wyatt Johnston -- a steal for Dallas in the 1st round last year -- and Hamilton's Logan Morrison -- somehow undrafted last year. Johnston scored again today and was brilliant as usual, while Morrison's two-assist, two-way performance garnered him second star behind McTavish.

i'm going to be so disappointed when we don't draft logan morrison

I'm already trying to cope

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
i'm going to be so disappointed when we don't draft logan morrison

I'm already trying to cope
Technically, there's a 1 in 32 chance of the Devils drafting Logan Morrison. But I'm willing to slide up, because the Devils have shown more of a recent propensity than most teams to draft over-agers. Also, I'll factor in the Devils clear need for center depth and the fact they are extremely unlikely to draft a center with the #2 pick, so it's something they will hopefully focus in on later.

I'd say if Logan Morrison lasts until the 3rd round, there's certainly a good chance the Devils take him. But my fear is that some team will really love him in the 2nd, and I don't see the Devils taking Morrison as high as #37 overall.

The sad part is Morrison would have been a great pick last year, as well -- in retrospect, far better than every pick from the 3rd round on. But it's tough to specifically blame the Devils -- every team missed out on him, likely due to the pandemic erasing the entire OHL season.

I've got my fingers crossed too. Morrison is really terrific, and I think he can succeed as a top-6 center in the AHL as soon as next year. I mean, he could conceivably push Boqvist for the NJ 3C role as soon as 2023-24. I can't say it enough, this is one heck of a hockey player.

Reactions: nugg and Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad