Prospect Info: Ives 2022 Top 100 NHL Draft Rankings (Spring Edition, 2.0)

Fanatik

May 21, 2022
Devils picks:
I didnt realize later tounds picks are determined before the playoffs end

I guess there must not be any stipulations on ours. Right around pick 100 is where I usually expect a sleeper

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I didnt realize later tounds picks are determined before the playoffs end

I guess there must not be any stipulations on ours. Right around pick 100 is where I usually expect a sleeper
When Shero was in charge, the Devils drafted sleepers all the time. Hopefully, Fitzgerald's weakness in this respect will be improved for the 2022 draft.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
@StevenToddIves (or anyone who closely follows these guys) On a serious note, and I'm aware it's not currently a position of great need and that it would be odd/funny to have another one, but do you see a scenario where Mr. Hughes falls to 37? Your writeup about him seems pretty positive.

If not, in your view could it be worth it to package say Ty Smith and the 2nd to move up 5-7 spots if he's still on the board, or will there likely be enough talent left that the Devils shouldn't entertain the idea?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves (or anyone who closely follows these guys) On a serious note, and I'm aware it's not currently a position of great need and that it would be odd/funny to have another one, but do you see a scenario where Mr. Hughes falls to 37? You're writeup about him seems pretty positive.

If not, in your view could it be worth it to package say Ty Smith and the 2nd to move up 5-7 spots if he's still on the board, or will there likely be enough talent left that the Devils shouldn't entertain the idea?
I'd say that the likely draft slot for The Other Jack Hughes is in the 25-40 range, which would put the odds on the Devils missing out on him. Hughes is a high-compete, two-way middle 6 center-type with high end playmaking ability. This is a very coveted type of player come draft day.

I'm not falling in love with a singular prospect in the 25-40 range, unless it's a player who fills a specific desperate need like RD Tristan Luneau. I'm hoping to use that pick on a DeBrincat/Faber-type guy who falls for a specific and stupid reason. In this particular draft, the Russian Factor could be more pronounced than usual, causing a clear first-round talent to fall, like Perevalov or Trikozov or even Miroshnichenko. A couple of other high end prospects could fall to #37 for dumb reasons, like Filip Mesar or Owen Beck.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the Devils also have a specific need for a middle-six center to slot in the future behind Hughes and Hischier. Fortunately, this draft has several candidates who could potentially be available at #37 -- not just The Other Jack Hughes and Owen Beck, but also Nathan Gaucher, Noah Ostlund, Luca Del Bel Belluz and Matyas Sapovaliv.

There should be some good center prospects available in the 3rd round and later -- the guy I've spotlighted the most has been over-aged Hamilton pivot Logan Morrison. But again, there will be more players, maybe not quite to Morrison's level but with clear ability to play an NHL bottom 6 C role: Alex Kaskimaki, Bryce McConnell-Barker, Paul Ludwinski, Daniil Bourosh, Brennan Ali, Pano Fimis, Topi Ronni, Fraser Minten, Liam Arnsby. I'd say Servac Petrovsky has top 6 upside, but I'm not sure if he projects more to center or wing at this point, because he's one of the youngest players available for the 2022 draft.

You can find write-ups for all of these kids I've mentioned on the Draft Prospects and Draft Prospects II threads, although we should probably find a better way to organize all my draft write-ups.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'd say that the likely draft slot for The Other Jack Hughes is in the 25-40 range, which would put the odds on the Devils missing out on him. Hughes is a high-compete, two-way middle 6 center-type with high end playmaking ability. This is a very coveted type of player come draft day.

I'm not falling in love with a singular prospect in the 25-40 range, unless it's a player who fills a specific desperate need like RD Tristan Luneau. I'm hoping to use that pick on a DeBrincat/Faber-type guy who falls for a specific and stupid reason. In this particular draft, the Russian Factor could be more pronounced than usual, causing a clear first-round talent to fall, like Perevalov or Trikozov or even Miroshnichenko. A couple of other high end prospects could fall to #37 for dumb reasons, like Filip Mesar or Owen Beck.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the Devils also have a specific need for a middle-six center to slot in the future behind Hughes and Hischier. Fortunately, this draft has several candidates who could potentially be available at #37 -- not just The Other Jack Hughes and Owen Beck, but also Nathan Gaucher, Noah Ostlund, Luca Del Bel Belluz and Matyas Sapovaliv.

There should be some good center prospects available in the 3rd round and later -- the guy I've spotlighted the most has been over-aged Hamilton pivot Logan Morrison. But again, there will be more players, maybe not quite to Morrison's level but with clear ability to play an NHL bottom 6 C role: Alex Kaskimaki, Bryce McConnell-Barker, Paul Ludwinski, Daniil Bourosh, Brennan Ali, Pano Fimis, Topi Ronni, Fraser Minten, Liam Arnsby. I'd say Servac Petrovsky has top 6 upside, but I'm not sure if he projects more to center or wing at this point, because he's one of the youngest players available for the 2022 draft.

You can find write-ups for all of these kids I've mentioned on the Draft Prospects and Draft Prospects II threads, although we should probably find a better way to organize all my draft write-ups.
If both Beck and Perevalov fall to 37 which would you be more likely to favor it it was your choice?

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

:thumbu:

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I know at the 69th pick might be a bit early to draft a Goalie but I hope we manage to get one of the two better goalie prospects and I don't think they will survive till our 101th pick.

So far my Fantasy draft is

2. Slaf
36. Beck/RD/Falling Russian player
69. Goalie
101. Barabosha

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If both Beck and Perevalov fall to 37 which would you be more likely to favor it it was your choice?
Oooh, that's a toughie. Perevalov is the higher-end prospect, but Beck is perfect two-way, character center to slot for the foreseeable future behind Jack & Nico.

Perevalov is elite in every offensive category except skating speed, which is why I have him ranked #8 overall. But Beck has elite speed and is just outside my top 20 at a more crucial position.

I'd have to go Perevalov, but by a hair. To be honest, if the Devils were picking #6 or #7 in this draft, I'd be pumping either Perevalov or Gauthier as the top Fs to target with the pick. I'm unbelievably high on this kid. I'd give him "elite" marks in 5 of my major scouting categories: hands, shot, playmaking, compete level and hockey IQ. I don't think there's another F in the draft ranking elite in more than 5 categories. If Perevalov were a high end skater (he's decent, not slow by any means, but I wouldn't call it particularly a strength), he'd be in my mix for #1 overall with Wright and Slafkovsky.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I know at the 69th pick might be a bit early to draft a Goalie but I hope we manage to get one of the two better goalie prospects and I don't think they will survive till our 101th pick.

So far my Fantasy draft is

2. Slaf
36. Beck/RD/Falling Russian player
69. Goalie
101. Barabosha
I think it's looking pretty good for Slafkovsky at #2, so you're ok there unless Montreal surprises a lot of people.

The second-rounder (actually #37) is also a good bet. As I always say with early 2nd round picks, "someone's gotta fall". It's a numbers game. There's close to a 0% chance that the Russian trio of Miro/Perevalov/Trikozov, the RD quartet of Luneau/Lamoureux/Rinzel/Warren and Owen Beck are all gone by #37. We have to factor in that there are some bad-drafting teams out there who will reach for a stats guy like Nelson/Haight or reach for a big/fast guy like Bystedt or Salomonsson or Suzdalev early, which will cause some seriously high-end talent to fall.

The only way I'm taking a G as early as #69 is if it's Leinonen or Brennan. Otherwise, this is a pick I'm using on a RD or C or power F who falls. RD possibles are Rinzel, Fisher, Warren and C possibles are Morrison, Ostlund, Del Bel Belluz and McConnell-Barker. I'm also looking at a possible high-end F drop like Schaefer, Sykora or Neuchev.

Barabosha at #101 would be an outstanding pick, and it's also a viable possibility.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Now how realistic do you think those picks are?

Do you think there is a chance of us having a draft like that or do you find the draft sim player ranking to be off?

Would be nice to have another Nico on the team ^.^
2) Slafkovsky -- very good odds
37) Beck -- slim odds, but possible
69) Sykora -- slim odds, but possible
101) Warren -- very slim odds
109) Fisher -- maybe 50/50
125) Mastrodomenico -- pretty good odds
140) Dolzhenkov -- maybe 50/50
165) Ali -- maybe 50/50
197) Elias -- tough to tell with goalies, but possible

I made a rule not to take any "impossible odds" guys, so I had to avoid the urge to take Chesley at #37 or Lamoureux at #69. My biggest stretch was probably Warren, but I love the kid so I went for it.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So, just spitballing here, where do you think Dumais would be good value if the Devils select him? 140? 165? 197?? lol.
In a vacuum, I'd be fine with Dumais in the 4th round on the elite passing and high-end puck skills alone.

But I can't see where Dumais fits with the Devils. This is a team which needs to be using mid-round picks on RD and G and depth C and interior Fs.

Do I take Dumais in the 4th over a goalie like Tyler Brennan? Or over a RD like Barabosha or Fisher or Mastrodomenico? Or over a potential 3C like Ali or Ronni? Or over a power F like Dolzhenkov?

I'd have to say the answer to all these questions is a resounding no. This is not a slight on Dumais, whom I think makes great sense for a team in need of offensive depth trying to catch lightning in a bottle later in the draft, like Boston or Carolina or Calgary. But Dumais' upside is essentially much-slower-Jesper-Bratt and I'm just not sure where that fits in with NJ.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018

Attachments

• 945cb7db6906abe08ee3e4df5975414a40b18530559cb84709d8f6ac98d4126e.jpg
    945cb7db6906abe08ee3e4df5975414a40b18530559cb84709d8f6ac98d4126e.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad