I've wasted 118000 minutes of my life over the past Ten seasons

VoiceOfReason

Dec 19, 2005
from parts unknown
If you had the benefit of hindsight and knew the past ten seasons would be fruitless, what would you have invested your time in? If the average game is 2 1/2 hours in length and the Oilers have played 786 regular season games over the past Ten seasons, then we've invested roughly 2000 hours into a bottomless pit. Imagine what 2000 hours in the gym looks like--or the library?!?!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If you had the benefit of hindsight and knew the past ten seasons would be fruitless, what would you have invested your time in? If the average game is 2 1/2 hours in length and the Oilers have played 786 regular season games over the past Ten seasons, then we've invested roughly 2000 hours into a bottomless pit. Imagine what 2000 hours in the gym looks like--or the library?!?!

dude

how much time do think many of us have wasted on this board--let alone actaully watching the **** over the past ten years

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
No regrets from me, I'd probably waste my time on even more unproductive things.

At least sports is/can be a relatively social activity.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Who wants to be some arrogant ripped egghead ****** anyway?

Way rather be a fat nerd maniac.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Being an Oilers fan is like being in an abusive relationship you know oyu should stop and its bad for you but you keep coming back.

Winning McDavid is like a guy taking a girl out on a nice date at a fancy restaurant. I was all about to leave and then he goes and does soemething nice.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
there is some merit in observing a team going through the rebuilding process, and those who did will get more enjoyment out of the team when it becomes a winner.

It has gone on too long though.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Being an Oilers fan is like being in an abusive relationship you know oyu should stop and its bad for you but you keep coming back.

Winning McDavid is like a guy taking a girl out on a nice date at a fancy restaurant. I was all about to leave and then he goes and does soemething nice.

Just a nice date? How about a new sports car.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
i knew this already but reading clicking this and reading the number made me feel physically ill

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

i tried the whole gym thing. I guess it's worth it if you want a 10/10 hottie but just too much effort in my opinion. Plus no pizza or donairs would be terrible :laugh:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Boo freaking hoo... nobody "made" you waste your time but yourself. Quit playing the victim and accept responsibility for your own actions.

Posts/threads like this just prove how damn entitled and self absorbed some fans are. Maybe try some of the other activities mentioned, instead of whining on a hockey forum.

VoiceOfReason

Dec 19, 2005
from parts unknown
Boo freaking hoo... nobody "made" you waste your time but yourself. Quit playing the victim and accept responsibility for your own actions.

Posts/threads like this just prove how damn entitled and self absorbed some fans are. Maybe try some of the other activities mentioned, instead of whining on a hockey forum.

Somehow I feel this is your response to everything in life--partly because it legitimately has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. I have a crazy aunt who's a snapshow on Facebook regardless of the topic. I was making an observation--not a statement. How on earth you deduct "entitlement", "self-absorption", and a lack of "responsibility" only you (and perhaps the voices) would understand. Also, when referencing a thread, you shouldn't quote a word that doesn't appear in the thread. That being said, your neurosis fascinates me!

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Somehow I feel this is your response to everything in life--partly because it legitimately has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. I have a crazy aunt who's a snapshow on Facebook regardless of the topic. I was making an observation--not a statement. How on earth you deduct "entitlement", "self-absorption", and a lack of "responsibility" only you (and perhaps the voices) would understand. Also, when referencing a thread, you shouldn't quote a word that doesn't appear in the thread. That being said, your neurosis fascinates me!

I am going to give a deep philoshopical answer.

What we spent our time on in our life is to much in our society on the basis of regret or lack of fulfillment.

Watching or not participating will always give away to being unproductive vs those who engage in activity and participate.

It's all either substantiated by progress or lack of. How many people I know in my life who are absolutely gifted intellectually and have degrees but also waste there time on gossip, or reality t.v. , heavily active in social media.

It is because technology and innovation has made life easier we could do more than ever that we have all equated we should be doing more.

Coming from a guy who has spent a lot of his life reading and studying I can say that is a waste of life. Yea you get smarter, and can hold your own in debate and conflict, but I also like the part of life that I can witness a live football or hockey game and be removed from the realities of life.

Trave l should be considered the biggest waste of time - you can easily see pictures on Google images, you have to take days off from work which delays paying off a mortgage. If you happen to only sit on a beach it's unproductive yet we find mentally it's the most fulfilling and best stress relievers in life.

I use to be so critical of younger kids and wasting time on video games and such. My opinion now is the only waste of time is contemplating life, questioning decisions, and not going through with plans, ideas or desires.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
i wouldnt consider my time a waist. i always love the feeling when the boys mount a comeback or when they play that awesome hockey a lot of us feel they can. granted its far and few between but i always come back for that feeling.im also a riders fan and am used to being let down :laugh:yet i still get ramped up every spring for football it sure beats thinking about work

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I really highly doubt anyone has really watched every minute (or close to it) of every game in the last 10 years. If you have... I give you props and call you freakin crazy. Thank god for PVR... instead of spending 2.5 hrs watching a full game, I can do it in an hour or less if the game is crappy.. which most often, is the case in the last 10 years.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Don't worry, most of us have no issues with your post whatsoever and I'm sure most of have felt the same thing.

Funny story. But decades ago in my University years I was prepared to take on different interests and kind of tune out pro sports for good realizing it was a waste of time. Then the Oilers were obviously building a dynasty in the early 80's and only that kept me in tow. I couldn't not follow that.

Now strangely I haven't been able to let go ever since.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I really highly doubt anyone has really watched every minute (or close to it) of every game in the last 10 years. If you have... I give you props and call you freakin crazy. Thank god for PVR... instead of spending 2.5 hrs watching a full game, I can do it in an hour or less if the game is crappy.. which most often, is the case in the last 10 years.

This. Even if I am home when the game starts I will start taping it, go do something else and come back in an hour. Fast forwarding through intermissions + commercial breaks saves you close to an hour plus fast forwarding through crappy games. That's a minimum of 82 hours of your life you get back every year (assuming you watch every game), thanks to PVR!

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Rather than minutes, these are more meaningful: 1,966.67 hours, or almost 82 full days. That's almost 8.2 days a year.

I lost interest years ago in this crap team. I've watching two Oilers' games on TV this season and two at Rexall. In the two games I went to, the Oilers scored zero goals. Seriously! Shut out both times.

I have better things to do with my time.

Ogopogo*

There was a time I watched all 82 games but, a combination of Oilers suckage and how boring NHL hockey has become, changed that. Now, I watch about 5 or 7 games per year on TV and attend about 3 or 4 - I spend a LOT more time with family, at the gym and just doing other things.

Even when the team becomes good I won't ever go back to the 82 game thing. Even if the NHL ever fixes the game so it isn't so damn boring I won't watch every game. I have largely stopped caring about the NHL. I am still an Oilers fan but a much more casual one - I really don't care if I see a game or not. I don't feel like I am missing anything.

I don't even watch playoffs anymore - without a dog in the fight, the fight isn't entertaining enough to watch vs doing everything else I spend my time doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
there is some merit in observing a team going through the rebuilding process, and those who did will get more enjoyment out of the team when it becomes a winner.

It has gone on too long though.

when? Even with McD, I no longer believe it is inevitable. It will take some very impressive trades and signings for this team to be a contender anytime soon.

I'm just hoping they can be an average team, like say the Islanders or Nashville.

btw, I don't think interest in this team has ever been lower. People are nolonger mad, they are indifferent (myself included). They better turn this around soon or this may be a bigger problem than any of the Old Boys ever imagined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad