Confirmed with Link: Ivan Provorov Signs Extension - 6 Years/$40.5M ($6.75AAV)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Problem is who do you pair Myers with while he grows up.
He's a puck dominant player but so are Provorov, Sanheim and Ghost.
Which may be part of his problem, Myers has to learn to play without the puck and defer to more experienced partners.

It's similar in any sport, at lower levels talented players dominate on skill, then when they hit the highest pro level, they find that they're no longer head and shoulders above everyone else (except for a small handful of players like McDavid) and the mental part of the game becomes far more important.

I mean, Provorov-Ghost has been the Flyers best pairing in the last ~3 years.

If they are going with:

Provorov-Niskanen
Sanheim-Braun

then why not:

Ghost-Myers... and give them easy match-ups 5v5 (not that Ghost needs it, but since the other two are going to get tough match-ups whatever). And with Ghost he would be playing with an experienced partner, and have to defer to him, and play more defensively than used to in AHL!

Right now Hagg is the worst Dman, again, and while not playing awfully he is certainly holding Ghost back.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost-Myers... and give them easy match-ups 5v5 (not that Ghost needs it, but since the other two are going to get tough match-ups whatever). And with Ghost he would be playing with an experienced partner, and have to defer to him, and play more defensively than used to in AHL!

If they're doing that then they should also be playing them with the top six because otherwise their offensive ability is completely wasted.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

If they are going with:

Provorov-Niskanen
Sanheim-Braun

then why not:

Right now Hagg is the worst Dman, again, and while not playing awfully he is certainly holding Ghost back.

The D will suck as long as Hagg is in the lineup. He throws every pair off.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
That's probably the pairing they had planned before pre-season. I'm sure we're going to see that at some point this season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers have the cap room and roster space to bring up Myers now. Fletcher has chosen to leave him in the AHL.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I have a feeling AV was disappointed by what he saw from Myers during pre-season after he coached him on Team Canada.
I remember a comment from AV on behind the glass, "He thinks he's already made the team". Wouldn't surprise me if he was talking about Myers.

Reactions: Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Flyers have the cap room and roster space to bring up Myers now. Fletcher has chosen to leave him in the AHL.

Sometimes I wonder if we are just out of touch and too far away from the behind the scenes to understand the decision-making logic..or if they are too close to understand that their decision-making is bad.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

If they are going with:

Provorov-Niskanen
Sanheim-Braun

then why not:

Given how well Ghost and Braun appeared to complement each other in their limited time together, I'd pair Myers with Sanheim.

Let them work out any inconsistencies over time together.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

If they are going with:

Provorov-Niskanen
Sanheim-Braun

then why not:

Except last spring Ghost - Myers had a worse xGF% than Hagg - Gudas, which was a mess of a pair.
Unless you want to blame Ghost, that suggests to me that Myers is just too mistake prone, and he showed it again in TC.

My suspicion is AV sat Myers down and told him why they were demoting him to LHV, to become more reliable.
This team has plenty of offensive fire power on defense, they need Myers to be Gandalf at the bridge to start his career.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Except last spring Ghost - Myers had a worse xGF% than Hagg - Gudas, which was a mess of a pair.
Unless you want to blame Ghost, that suggests to me that Myers is just too mistake prone, and he showed it again in TC.

My suspicion is AV sat Myers down and told him why they were demoting him to LHV, to become more reliable.
This team has plenty of offensive fire power on defense, they need Myers to be Gandalf at the bridge to start his career.

In TC he had one really bad game and was solid/good in the others.

The most mistake prone Dman on the team is Hagg. Just he makes lots of little mistakes instead of big ones!

He is just too good for the AHL. I mean, last year he produced at 5v5 to a degree that only a handful of prospects have, and to start this year (albeit 2 games) he has been more dominant.

Going off your assertion of what he needs to improve on... how can he be "more reliable" in the AHL, and improve on D, when he is so good that 95% of AHL fwds pose no challenges for him, and he can easily spend most of his time in the OZ? I am not sure he has seen more than ~20% of his time in the DZ to start this season! Like Sanheim in 16-17, I think the only way for him to round out game is vs higher talent level.

Last edited:

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I don't know what the numbers are, but by the eyetest his controlled zone entries are impressive this season, especially on the power play.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nah, he had a turnover so he sucks.

Isn’t that the standard for defensemen these days? Or is that only for certain ones?
:popcorn:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't know what the difference is but Provy looks a lot better this year. Is it coaching? Maturity? He seemed to make one ridiculous mental mistake every other game last year and turn the puck over constantly in his own end. He looks a lot faster and absolutely ferocious in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Niskanen has been a good partner for Provorov, it's easy to forget he's still only 22 years old (turns 23 in January) in his 4th NHL season, that's young for a defenseman, especially one with the defensive responsibilities put on Provorov (the young defensemen who tend to shine are often offense first). Most of the D-men with big minutes tend to be 25 and older. Niskanen's style is similar to Provorov (great positioning) but with far more experience - a great player for Provorov to learn from.

Sanheim - Myers just looks better than Ghost - Myers, they looked good in the AHL and looked solid last night, even if Sanheim had a hiccup or two. Myers just has to play within himself until he's comfortable with NHL speed, THEN start taking risks when you have a better feel for the speed at which the ice can turn.

That's a nice foursome for the next two years. Hopefully York or Zamula will be ready by then, but they're both LH.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's definitely his year. Getting assists on shifts he didn't even touch the puck.

Niskanen should get the 3rd assist.

upload_2019-11-2_10-3-31.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad