Confirmed with Link: Ivan Provorov Signs Extension - 6 Years/$40.5M ($6.75AAV)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I thought this contract would be a steal even by its first year. Looks like like it is after the first month. We all saw him score a league leading amount of goals. Then saw him shut down guys like Malkin. He’s a future Norris winner, as OV said. And he’s only 22 f***ing years old. He has 3 years of improvement ahead of him.

Having Coot and Provy as well as Hayes will make this team very hard to play against in the playoffs. Hopefully Myers keeps getting better so that he’s air tight in a few years. You are lookin at a team that can shut down the other teams top two lines as well as score against them as well as score on the other lines as well as having Hart. And we still have several very good prospects coming and don’t even have patty this year.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Something was physically wrong with Provorov last season.

His skating this season is light years better.
It could have been his shoulder or stick but I think it was this contract. The guy cares as we saw with him crying after losing to pitt in the first round even after his injury. I imagine not being under the microscope as much has helped him. It was a good thing for the team as if didn’t have that bad year and had this year instead he would have gotten a lot more.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It could have been his shoulder or stick but I think it was this contract. The guy cares as we saw with him crying after losing to pitt in the first round even after his injury. I imagine not being under the microscope as much has helped him. It was a good thing for the team as if didn’t have that bad year and had this year instead he would have gotten a lot more.
I think it was physical. Mental doesn’t explain how his skating fell off last season but is good again this season.

I think it was possibly a training injury, maybe he was dealing with a groin pull, maybe his shoulder was still bad, maybe he put on too much mass, who knows. But I think it was a physical issue, not mental.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think it was physical. Mental doesn’t explain how his skating fell off last season but is good again this season.

I think it was possibly a training injury, maybe he was dealing with a groin pull, maybe his shoulder was still bad, maybe he put on too much mass, who knows. But I think it was a physical issue, not mental.

To me he was thinking about his options too much. Double clutching. Not making the confident play. Plus he said he was not hurt.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Guys like Provorov never admit they’re hurt.
Yea he admitted to it already. Something they come clean about after the season was done but he said there was nothing. Confidence in sports or any high intensity job is everything. You give some to Pitlick and he’s going to look like your best player.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
A. V. has the hockey knowledge and sense to see he couldn't bury Provy on the PK like the last coach did..... simple as that .

Gonna be awesome seeing this kid grow and get better .

thank you Coach !

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I thought about this a while ago. He looked different right after he changed his stick length. Or maybe it was that his shoulder wasn't healed from hurting it in the playoffs. Maybe a combination of both. Or maybe he was trying too hard to make up for his defensive partner. Either way it's good that he's back.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
AV is as responsible for Provorov’s current play as Hakstol was responsible for his play in 2017-2018. I don’t recall a whole lot of Hak praise back then, and rightfully so.

:laugh: These inconsistent standards of when you guys decide the coaches get credit or blame are pretty funny.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
"You guys"

Seems like its a single person with one comment?

I believe Provorovs resurgence is heavily influenced by Matt Niskanen.

Reactions: SnS

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think Jonesy said it during the game today, this is the first season Provorov's had a reliable veteran partner and you can really see the difference.
It's a shame we didn't have a player like Niskanen 3 years ago. Provorov and Timonen missed each other by 2 seasons...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Provorov-Ghost is superior

But hey, then we can’t spin silly narratives about veteran intangibles. As if Provorov is some radical different player this year.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Ghost was only in his 3rd season when they were together. Both could've used a veteran partner. But we had MacDonald...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m not saying Ghost was a vet. I’m saying that Provorov isn’t playing well because of vet Niskanen, he’s playing well because he’s a good player and isn’t a) having an individually bad year (regardless of partner) like last season, or 2) playing with horrible trash like Hagg or MacDonald.

The best he’s played is in 2017-2018 and now, and the common denominator is having a partner who doesn’t suck. This is nothing new, so the media’s narrative about vet guidance is nonsense.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Niskanen is a far more reliable partner than Ghost, he's consistently in the right place, which means Provorov knows where he should be and isn't tempted to get out of position.
Niskanen is also full sized and is willing to do the dirty work behind the net and in the corners, taking hits to deny the puck to the other team.

That frees Provorov to play more of an offensive role.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
One of my favorite fake narratives is that Provorov had to hinder his offense in the past, playing a more stay at home role. Dude has always activated offensively like a mad lad. Nothing stay at home about him.

When Ivan is at his best, he's partnered with another confident defenseman who doesn't simply defer to him. It removes Provorov from some of his bad hero habits. Like Niskanen, for example, knows he can make confident plays on breakouts or in the o-zone, and he's not there to handhold. So, you see more of a reciprocal partnership. Though to be fair, Niskanen has stifled a plethora of odd man rushes. At his confident peak, Ghost's pure skill would also allow Provorov to play more within himself as well. And in that 17-18 season, both prospered from it. Their 5 man cycle offense with G-Coots-TK was like a PP.

TLDR: Niskanen and Provorov are playing great individually. Little surprised to see they're a little in the red in relxGF% together, when each is +8-10% apart. They look great; probably fluky.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Remember the handful of people who were burying Provorov after one down year at 21 years old. It's amazing how myself and a bunch of others pointed out how he was being put in a position at a very young age to have to do too much with no help. They bring in a solid vet D to play with him and look at the difference it has made.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
8ncKDu.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad