Confirmed with Link: Ivan Provorov Signs Extension - 6 Years/$40.5M ($6.75AAV)

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
There's a lot of babble and techno-jargon going on around here guys. BORING.

When it comes down to it, Provorov is a good player. Who knows what the future holds? He's entering his third year in the league, and I for one am not yet ready to anoint him the next best thing. So far, he has ZERO FIGHTS!

Even HHoF Bernie Parent, a GOALIE, had 3 fights in his career! Bernie Parent

So, say what you will, but that's not the kinda guy I want to back up the money truck for. If Hexy can feint a punch and get him to sign for a way below over ridiculous term extension, than sure. But you gotta fight for stuff in life, I haven't seen the fighting out of Provorov yet.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
SpottedUnselfishAmericanbittern-size_restricted.gif

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
When there's so much bias toward a player as to deter conversation about their weaknesses, then there's some unreasonable rating going on.

Contracts for talented young D in RFA years have been all over the place in recent years--Gostisbehere's and Klingberg's salaries are both low while Parayko's and Ekblad's are both high. So there's some question on precedent for settling on salary of $6-8 MM. Show me how you arrive at that range and I'll stop questioning you.
Well first, if we are going to be making claims agaisnt me, make sure they are correct. I never once said he should be paid in the 8 million per year range. That is way too high.

Then you can compare him to other defenseman who signed around similar age. Jones, Lindholm, Parayko, Manson, Leddy... the lsit goes on and on. What's common, they all are paid right around the $4-5.5 million range give or take a few.

With the cap rising from 73 million to 79 million the past couple years, deals for RFA's will keep increasing with the cap. The cap has gone up about 8.2% over the last two years total. So you will have to inflate the other deals by that percentage. You can also calcualte it but percentage they signed for of the teams cap. It comes in around the 6 million mark. However, Provorov has performed statistically better than most this year and more than likely will have another season where he puts up 30-35+ points. He will be in the 6-7 million range if he puts up another season like last year again. He might even sneak into Ekblad territory if he does. That's why it's good to get him locked up now to a long term deal in the range of say 6.25-6.75 for 8 years. Of course there is a chance he could regress but it simply doesn't seem that way as of right now.

Now how much do you want to pay him??

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Well first, if we are going to be making claims agaisnt me, make sure they are correct. I never once said he should be paid in the 8 million per year range. That is way too high.

Then you can compare him to other defenseman who signed around similar age. Jones, Lindholm, Parayko, Manson, Leddy... the lsit goes on and on. What's common, they all are paid right around the $4-5.5 million range give or take a few.

With the cap rising from 73 million to 79 million the past couple years, deals for RFA's will keep increasing with the cap. The cap has gone up about 8.2% over the last two years total. So you will have to inflate the other deals by that percentage. You can also calcualte it but percentage they signed for of the teams cap. It comes in around the 6 million mark. However, Provorov has performed statistically better than most this year and more than likely will have another season where he puts up 30-35+ points. He will be in the 6-7 million range if he puts up another season like last year again. He might even sneak into Ekblad territory if he does. That's why it's good to get him locked up now to a long term deal in the range of say 6.25-6.75 for 8 years. Of course there is a chance he could regress but it simply doesn't seem that way as of right now.

Now how much do you want to pay him??

I just assumed. But you seem to confirm my assumption in the second to last paragraph.

8.2% increase adjust the 4-5.5 range to 4.33-5.95. I'd start with ~4, let him counter with 6, and work from there. Couturier and Gostisbehere have been more important players and they both make 4-5 per, with the former on his second contract.

Also, a couple million might not be enough to sign Provorov for 8 years. A handful of defensemen in Provorov's tier exit RFA status with 5-6 year contracts. Klingberg and Ekblad are two I've noticed who went for 7-8.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not worried about Provorov flatlining, his work ethic and compete level are off the charts.
I mean his offseason workouts are flat out ridiculous (he does take a few weeks off, otherwise we'd have to check his DNA and see if it's alien).

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I love the Devils.
Jumped on my couch when I heard them pick Zacha.

Told Provy too. He laughed and said "I'm just glad I'm in the NHL". <== true story, met him at the Carnival. Walked up with him to his post to sign autographs because I (aka my friends) won a raffle to my surprise. Great kid. Such a professional at age 20 or whatever. Seemed like he had been doing this for years.

xQTYREa.jpg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Jumped on my couch when I heard them pick Zacha.

Told Provy too. He laughed and said "I'm just glad I'm in the NHL". <== true story, met him at the Carnival. Walked up with him to his post to sign autographs because I (aka my friends) won a raffle to my surprise. Great kid. Such a professional at age 20 or whatever. Seemed like he had been doing this for years.

xQTYREa.jpg

Should’ve had him sign a tin foil hat, my dude.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I'm just happy we finally have a home grown,bonafide #1 defenseman. If he isn't elite yet, he will be in a year or two. I have no doubts that with his work ethic, talent, and hockey sense he will be an elite defenseman.

Reactions: freakydallas13

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I just assumed. But you seem to confirm my assumption in the second to last paragraph.

8.2% increase adjust the 4-5.5 range to 4.33-5.95. I'd start with ~4, let him counter with 6, and work from there. Couturier and Gostisbehere have been more important players and they both make 4-5 per, with the former on his second contract.

Also, a couple million might not be enough to sign Provorov for 8 years. A handful of defensemen in Provorov's tier exit RFA status with 5-6 year contracts. Klingberg and Ekblad are two I've noticed who went for 7-8.
This is a joke of a post. Let me address a few things.

1) You completely missed the part where I said he statistically out performed those other players when they signed their deals. So this means he will be due for more money.

2) Most players will not compare themselves to other players deals on the team (especially forwards). They will find statistical matches around the league that will show why they are due a raise. Both Ghost and Couts are easily signed to team friendly deals.

3) You are willing to upset your top defender on the team by offering him a multi-year deal (longer than 2 years) in the 4 million dollar range. Thats a joke. Players do get offended you know. You come to him with an offer like that he might not want to sign long term. You never know. Flyers have never been a team who are frugal and try to limit the spending on players they believe are core players, which Provorov clearly is. Provorov played 24 minutes a night and made almost all of his contributions at 5X5. He clearly is the best defenseman of the group and only will get better.

I don't know if you were trying to throw "shade" with the "assumed" comment but you asked me why he deserves that money and I provided my reasons why. Your answer to that question is to belittle the player and low ball him an offer because he isn't as improtant as COuts and Ghost (which we disagree on).

Provorov for the next 6-8 years in the 6-6.75 million range will be a steal within 2-3 years. With the rising cap and his on ice performance you are banking on him progressing instead of regressing. I still have no clue why anyone would be agaisnt signing him to a long term deal around the 6 million dollar mark.

Reactions: mdm815 and deadhead

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018

1) You completely missed the part where I said he statistically out performed those other players when they signed their deals. So this means he will be due for more money.

2) Most players will not compare themselves to other players deals on the team (especially forwards). They will find statistical matches around the league that will show why they are due a raise. Both Ghost and Couts are easily signed to team friendly deals.

3) You are willing to upset your top defender on the team by offering him a multi-year deal (longer than 2 years) in the 4 million dollar range. Thats a joke. Players do get offended you know. You come to him with an offer like that he might not want to sign long term. You never know. Flyers have never been a team who are frugal and try to limit the spending on players they believe are core players, which Provorov clearly is. Provorov played 24 minutes a night and made almost all of his contributions at 5X5. He clearly is the best defenseman of the group and only will get better.

I don't know if you were trying to throw "shade" with the "assumed" comment but you asked me why he deserves that money and I provided my reasons why. Your answer to that question is to belittle the player and low ball him an offer because he isn't as improtant as COuts and Ghost (which we disagree on).

Provorov for the next 6-8 years in the 6-6.75 million range will be a steal within 2-3 years. With the rising cap and his on ice performance you are banking on him progressing instead of regressing. I still have no clue why anyone would be agaisnt signing him to a long term deal around the 6 million dollar mark.

Clearly the best of the group? He should just wait a bit for his $12 MM salary then

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
People saying 8 per are crazy. I love Ivan, but he's done nothing to warrant that. I think he maxes out at 6.5 on an 8 year deal.
I also think 6.5 is good but he did just lead the league in goals from a dman in a time when offense and offensive dmen are high. If he wanted to be a dick he could get 8 million. If he signs for 8 years at 6.5 that is going to be an amazing contract soon.

Reactions: Rebels57

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Should’ve had him sign a tin foil hat, my dude.
shoulda woulda coulda

EDIT: Backstory- Had a professor who would always say "alright guys, time to put your PharmD hats on" but it was kind of used ironically if no one was answering an easy question etc because no one was paying attention because she was the worst. Wore this to her final, she asked if she could keep it. When I graduated she still had it in her office 3 yrs later.
oLNUnuH.png

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Hes made a lot of hilarious (in a bad way) posts lately.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Players like JVR are signing for 7 per. I know he’s a UFA so it’s somewhat different, but anything less than 8per for Provo over 8 years and I’m happy. Sub 7 and I’ll almost be as happy as the day he fell to us.

Reactions: Rebels57

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Go back under your bridge troll.

You claim Provorov was clearly better than Jones, Lindholm, Parayko, Manson, Leddy in his first 2 seasons than they were in their first 2 seasons. He should just sign a bridge and then get paid like the superstar he is.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Players like JVR are signing for 7 per. I know he’s a UFA so it’s somewhat different, but anything less than 8per for Provo over 8 years and I’m happy. Sub 7 and I’ll almost be as happy as the day he fell to us.

That $7m was inflated by the fact that he was a FA, as a way to keep the term short, and have no trade protection.

Probably not the best comparable for a 21 year old RFA defensemen.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Okay Evander Kane at 7x7. Stasny at 6.75, Tavares at 11m, kucherov at 9.5, carlson at 8, Trouba asking for 8, doughty get 10. The point is 7/8 for Ivan will probably be the ballpark and it’s fair for both sides. Prices are going up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad