Confirmed with Link: Ivan Provorov Signs Extension - 6 Years/$40.5M ($6.75AAV)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why do people still compare UFAs to RFAs with 4 years of club control?
Well with the Eichel, Drai, Matthews, Aho, etc... signings, it seems like RFA vs UFA doesn't matter as much anymore. At least as far as forwards go. Given the only D that could be thrown in there was Ekblad it's it's looking like a poor deal, maybe they always lag behind.

I guess we will find out with McAvoy, Werenski, Provy, etc...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Now also ask yourself if Provorov belongs in the same discussion as those players.
Werenski appears to have had the same up/down type years or part of years that Provy has had, just listening to their fans. Both of them were blessed to play with good players that know how to play good defense to lean on. Provy has not had that.

That was a mistake Hextall made years ago. Adding someone like Niskanen is a move that should have been done 3 years ago so. Instead, he had the rookie whisperer AMac.

Provy won't get their money, or certainly shouldn't. And I think they set the market and others start to fall into place. I don't think any get 8 million like some people have thrown around, fwiw.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Werenski appears to have had the same up/down type years or part of years that Provy has had, just listening to their fans. Both of them were blessed to play with good players that know how to play good defense to lean on. Provy has not had that.
OH BOY. This mindset that you keep harping on is the reason why Provorov was paired with MacDonald (and Hagg when MacDonald went down). Hakstol was reluctant to pair Provy with Ghost because of this and jumped ship the second the results started to regress. He never paired him with Sanheim because he didn't trust him.

I was talking about the forwards anyway (i.e. the guys that have actually signed UFA rate deals). You can throw McDavid in there as well.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
OH BOY. This mindset that you keep harping on is the reason why Provorov was paired with MacDonald (and Hagg when MacDonald went down). Hakstol was reluctant to pair Provy with Ghost because of this and jumped ship the second the results started to regress. He never paired him with Sanheim because he didn't trust him.

I was talking about the forwards anyway (i.e. the guys that have actually signed UFA rate deals). You can throw McDavid in there as well.
As I said, until the rest of these RFA deals are signed, we could be entering the era where RFA vs UFA doesn't matter anymore. If you are better, you are better. Personally, I hope we do get back to being able to sign RFA to steals. But it is looking like the only "deals" you might get on a RFA are the bridge if in the end you are paying RFA, UFA type contracts.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If I have to pay RFAs UFA rates, then I'm always doing a two year bridge and negotiating the long-term deal with more information since it's going to cost me the same and the 8 year deal I give at 23-24 years old ends when he's 31-32, perfect timing from the FO's perspective.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If I have to pay RFAs UFA rates, then I'm always doing a two year bridge and negotiating the long-term deal with more information since it's going to cost me the same and the 8 year deal I give at 23-24 years old ends when he's 31-32, perfect timing from the FO's perspective.
Agreed. But then of course you could get that player not wanting to go long term to create a bidding war on them in a few years.

But in the end, we currently don't have anyone that is worthy of those huge RFA deals. A blessing and a curse. Our #2 overall pick had back to back 30/31 points.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Agreed. But then of course you could get that player not wanting to go long term to create a bidding war on them in a few years.

But in the end, we currently don't have anyone that is worthy of those huge RFA deals. A blessing and a curse. Our #2 overall pick had back to back 30/31 points.

But you can offer 8 years, other teams can only offer 7, so you can always be slightly under market and still get them to sign.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But you can offer 8 years, other teams can only offer 7, so you can always be slightly under market and still get them to sign.
true.

But with the new CBA, will the 8 year deals be down to 6?

But in the end, we all want our RFA's signed for as cheap as possible.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Free agency is rough, but I say sign Provy all the way till he is ufa, 4 years? And that's your window. Fletcher probably won't be here to sign him to his ufa deal anyway.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No question marks for me. No. 1 Dman. Pay him. If pieces of crap like JVR and Hayes are worth $7M/yr, Provy is worth more. Give him $8M x 8yrs and get it over with.

Those pieces of crap had better seasons when they were UFAs than Provorov just had. He's also an RFA with four years left till he's a UFA.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Free agency is rough, but I say sign Provy all the way till he is ufa, 4 years? And that's your window. Fletcher probably won't be here to sign him to his ufa deal anyway.

Never do that, because you give up negotiating leverage.
By doing a 3 year bridge, you have 1 RFA season, you make the QO, then negotiate the long-term deal, secure knowing that teams can't tamper.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Provorov is the most over hyped Flyer I can think of in the last 5 years.

The truth is spoken. Alot of that on this club nowadays.

You guys been hanging around 15th and Girard lately?

Back when I lived there from '06 - '09 it was a hot spot for crack. Had a restitution house on the same block with a methadone clinic just up the street on Girard. I wonder if Big Momma is still sitting on her stoop?

Truth be told, I really enjoyed living there. The crack dealers were all really friendly.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think Provorov gets as much hype as he deserves. I think most here don't even see him as the Flyers #1 anymore -- I think many believe Sanheim is the top guy.

I DO think Provy is our #1, but he certainly isn't loved that way. So whoever said he's overhyped...nah.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Provorov is the most over hyped Flyer I can think of in the last 5 years.

Why?? Because he had a bad couple of months in a shitshow of a season led by the worst coach in NHL history? Seriously, people are so quick to turn on young players. I cant wait until Carter Hart has a bad stretch and half the fanbase turns on him like they did with Bob.

Provy is 22 years old and has easily been a legit number 1 D for at least 120 NHL games. Again he is 22! Hes still a few years away from prime age for a Dman so history suggests we havent even seen him at his best yet...and hes been pretty damn good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad