Prospect Info: Ivan Miroshnichenko, 20th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Sometimes there are things bigger than hockey. For top 2022 NHL Draft prospect Ivan Miroschnichenko, he learned that this season. The Russian winger was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in March, ending his season and likely keeping him out for most of next year. Thankfully, the disease seems to have been caught quickly and his prognosis seems to be good.

Given that we have no real access to his medicals and even if we did, we are not doctors, this makes ranking Miroschnichenko exceptionally difficult. If he didn’t have the issues, he would have been ranked 6th on our board. However, the issue is also impossible to ignore, but its also nearly impossible to decide where to rank him. As such we are going with an Honorable Mention, and letting our readers decide where they would draft him.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021

Ivan Miroshnichenko's Player Profile​

Peter Harling - NHL Rumors - June 27th: "There are big questions about when if ever he comes to North America, but the skill and upside demand he is a first-round pick regardless."

Jeff Svoboda - NHL.com - June 27: "The Russian forward prospect was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in early January, ending his season. The illness also has added some uncertainty to his draft status, but when healthy he's viewed as a high-level playmaker who can skate, shoot and play a physical, determined game."

Eetu Siltanen - Dobber Prospects - June 18th: "He has great hands and the ability to pull off nice skill moves, combined with pretty good skating speed and an elite shot. He’s a dangerous powerplay player with his goal-scoring ability and can move the puck as well."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - June 6th: "He’s a powerful skater through his edges and crossovers. He’s got good playmaking instincts. He’s a dexterous player who catches bad passes, manages to keep control when the play breaks down or the ice is choppy, and gets his stick on tips, etc."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - May 31: "He’s got good size and strength. He’s a strong skater. He’s highly skilled. He can make plays and he’s highly competitive. His shot is a bullet and can be a weapon from the flank on a pro power play."

Chris Peters - Daily Faceoff - June 10th: "Miroshnichenko is a powerful, fast player who is difficult to defend as he uses his strength to gain an advantage on the opposition. He has quick hands and a deadly shot that he can let go from anywhere, but it’s his propensity for driving the middle that makes me believe he’s going to be a talented scorer at the NHL level."

Reactions: Neil Racki

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021

18. Dallas Stars (Brock Otten) – Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Omskie Krylya (VHL)

Talk about draft wild cards. Miroshnichenko is the ultimate one. You have the Russian factor. You have his cancer diagnosis (which looks incredibly encouraging, thankfully). You have his mysterious VISA issues in regard to entering the United States and Canada. However, you also have a big, power, goal scoring winger with good wheels who is a top ten talent this year. If there is a team positioned to take a chance on a Russian player, it is the Stars. This organization has drafted unbelievably well in recent years and now find themselves swimming in quality forward prospects. Denis Gurianov hasn’t really worked out quite as well as they may have anticipated, but I don’t think that can completely sour you on Miroshnichenko if you think he is going to be a high-end NHL player.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
27. Arizona: Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Omsk (VHL): A risky pick on a number of fronts, but if the projection were to continue on a path from what we saw at the U18’s in 2021, this has the potential to be a home run.

#21 – Pittsburgh Penguins – Ivan Miroshnichenko (Left Wing, Omsk) – Drafted By Alex Appleyard

“From the perimeter, he will score top shelf wrist shot goals and will look to go blocker side. Since he is normally skating up the left side of the ice, he will look to go blocker side on most goaltenders (assuming that he is a facing a left handed goaltender or a right handed goaltender who gloves with his left hand). If he is looking to complete a one-timer, he will look to establish ice near net-front and go down on one knee to generate power for his shot.” – Josh Tessler

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Arizona Coyotes: Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Avangard Omsk (KHL)
avangardomsk.gif

Arizona uses their second first round pick from the Carolina Hurricanes on a left winger that was once a top 5 prospect at 27. Ivan Miroshnichenko is the eleventh best European skater on NHL Central Scouting edging out the twelfth best North American skater in Jagger Firkus for the best value pick at 27. Arizona is also scouting OHL and USHL skaters not named Logan Cooley, but after doing more research, Ivan Mirshnichenko is still the best value pick for Arizona at 27 since he's got a ceiling similar to Alexander Ovechkin if he can recover from his Hodgkins Linphoma.

The 6-1 185 lb Ivan Miroshnichenko has the speed, explosion, burst, agility, skating, foot speed, playmaking, passing, sniping, wrist shot power, wrist shot accuracy, slap shot power, slap shot accuracy, vision, offensive awareness, defensive awareness, and hockey IQ to succeed in the NHL. Ivan Miroshnichenko scored hat tricks for Russia against countries such as Finland and USA. He's a legit top ten talent in this draft who was once considered the fourth best prospect in this draft behind Wright, Lambert, and Savoie back in 2019.

At the 2022 NHL Combine, Ivan Miroshnichenko was cleared to train again despite being diagnosed with Hodgkins Linphoma. He probably won't make the KHL until 2024. He would be ready for the NHL in 2024-2025 at the very earliest. Arizona is a team that can gamble on Ivan Miroshnichenko, and if they hit on this pick, they've got a second line left winger behind team captain Clayton Keller by the 2025 NHL Season at the very latest.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Hoped we traded the pick, but as we didnt ill be perfectly fine to go boom or bust all the way. ”Safe pick” would have done nothing for us.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
“It’s a tremendous feeling. It’s such a great organization, there’s so many great players, Russian players, so to join them is a tremendous honor.”

The 18-year old forward has had a trying 2022, being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in March. The former captain of Russia’s 2021 Gold Medal-winning Hlinka-Gretzky Cup team recorded 10 goals and six assists in 31 Games Played this past season with Russian second-tier league team Omskie Krylia.

“The last few months have been great. Obviously before then was some challenging times, but before then but when I was in Russia, it was super. The plan is for me to stay here [North America], obviously I have the Development Camp coming up here, but then the plan is for me to rejoin my team in Omskie.”

I like the pick, 20 spot is a good place to take a chance on top end talent who have fallen. Feels a lot like Hendrix darft. I like the Ovie similarities, elite shot, physical, PP1 abilities and good skater.

Dont know what the world or Russia will look like in a 2-4 years when he would come here ...

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Moving here to centralize info.

Miroshnichenko:
Red Line Report: 12
One-liner: "Sniping bulldozer would be #2 if not for Hodgkin's."
Projection: Powerful 1st line scoring wing for top tier club.
Style compares to: Andre Svechnikov
Gordie Howe Trophy (Best character guys and fiercest competitors): "#2 - He's overcoming Hodkin's lymphoma and both his on-ice and off-ice leadership are tremendous."
Allstate "Good Hands" Trophy (Best natural goal scorers): "#6 - Pure natural sniper has uncanny touch."

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I personally think that Miro is going to be a star. If it wasn't for the default Russian Factor (w/ KHL worries around Russian players), the uncertainty about Russian players w/ the war in Ukraine, and obviously his cancer (and subsequent limited playing time this season), he would have been a top-five pick - even with just the Russian factor, negating the latter two variables that effected his draft status even more this year.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I feel I should type his name out a lot to avoid many future mispells, however I'm going to call him Miro for now. By looking at his photos he reminds of a young Ovy. I realize there is only one Ovy, but the kid looks like Ovy did at that age, more like a 25 year old man. He looks in superb shape and his goal scoring videos are fun to watch. If this kid becomes a star, give Mahoney a Cap's HOF ticket! The scary thing is he can put on a lot of muscle still and he's already pretty bulked up.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
We won't see him for a few years at least and who knows how he will do with his cancer battle. Not sure if this is nifty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad